Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I picked up my SS Basemodel in July. Shortly after, during connection of a GPS, i discovered that the two black panels sitting between the tank and the front of the fairing fitted really bad. On the right hand side i can nearly get my little finger in between the red an black part!
I complained to the dealer (one of many complaints!). They agreed to fix the problem........but when i picked up the bike, it looked exactly the same. The dealer had actually changed the (black plastic) part, but the new one was just as bad.

Has anybody else expirienced these problem? And if yes, what has been done about it?

I should mention that i have had many issues with the bike, and my relation to the dealer has become a bit “stressed”, as i have been there 5 or 6 times with various issues since i got the bike.

Apart from that, wonderfull bike :laugh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Several of us have the gap on the left side between the two red pieces of the fairing...as shown in your first pic, but I don't recall anyone having the issue with the inner black plastic sections. Have you tried correcting it yourself by taking off and then reconnecting the fairing?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi Lpe1314,

I had same problem, exactly like you on left side.

When i unfitted myself left fairing i was able to join correctly front and left fairing before putting again all fairing screws.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi
I picked up my SS Basemodel in July. Shortly after, during connection of a GPS, i discovered that the two black panels sitting between the tank and the front of the fairing fitted really bad. On the right hand side i can nearly get my little finger in between the red an black part!
I complained to the dealer (one of many complaints!). They agreed to fix the problem........but when i picked up the bike, it looked exactly the same. The dealer had actually changed the (black plastic) part, but the new one was just as bad.

Has anybody else expirienced these problem? And if yes, what has been done about it?

I should mention that i have had many issues with the bike, and my relation to the dealer has become a bit “stressed”, as i have been there 5 or 6 times with various issues since i got the bike.

Apart from that, wonderfull bike :laugh:
As mentioned, others (like myself) have noted the "fairing fit" issues. I brought it up to my dealer (included a pic) they sent it up to Ducati North America and it will be aligned (no cost to me) by the shop. Suggest that you forward the pics to the dealer and have them note it to forward up the chain. Be persistent:wink2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same here- HUGE gap on left side, right side was so tight it caused the right, upper faring panel to bow a bit during riding. Local dealer Ducati Detroit (did not purchase from them and they were jerks about fixing it) wouldn't fix it under warranty. The dealer I did buy the SSS from, Fox Powersports in Grand Rapids, Michigan USA, DID fix it (its a long ride there for me but obviously worth it). Because of that great service I bought the heated grips and pannier bags from them and had them installed.

Fox Powersports in Michigan is a GREAT dealer!

That said, I think it odd that several bikes have this EXACT misalignment.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I had a similar fitment issue with one of my black panels - it didn't engage correctly at the front fairing and was always loose. The issue on my part was that the bolt hole was misaligned with the rest of the pieces where all the fairings attach near the tank. I relieved the hole slightly so that the black plastic wasn't stressed when installed with the bolt tightened, and it now fits nicely.

Still have the gap in the front fairings like you do, I suspect that when I have the fairings off sometime over the winter that it will also be slightly relieving bolt holes to prevent mounting stress.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine are all misaligned too. But it's not like we paid a lot of dough for a premium product. Oh wait...:wink2:

I just ignore it. The fun I have riding more than offsets this, but I was annoyed when I first saw it.

Reactions: Rhino

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Off the subject, but kinda close...

Ever notice when riding at night, after you crank the bike, and do a quick walk around it...how the headlight leaks light through the fairing? Looks like we've got LED's stashed in the bike for show. Lol...I think that's kinda cool...the bike glows. :nerd:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I had some misalignment on the fairings but when I removed the fairings to fit my electronics I re aligned everything as I put them back. all is straight and ok with mine now. unfortunately the way these fairings go together you must be meticulous and precise when fitting them.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Took my bike into the dealer for my accessories install and fairing "gap" adjustment. Service tech told me that he loosened up the panel to get to the clips holding the front upper left hand panel. Didn't see any damage underneath, so just pushed the fairing closer together, tightened things up and that was that. I took before and after pics (will post later) and you can see a difference but it's still not as flush as the right side.

I thank my dealer for making the adjustment for me, but SMH at big Ducati...it's nothing that they will fix on the production line...it is what it is. Customer requested the alignment, seems to be an easy fix, but corporate will keep producing the bike as is.

Bottom line is, after I picked up the bike, thoroughly enjoyed my 70 mile ride home >:)

Reactions: se7en

·
Registered
667 Posts
Let me clarify my "pic" comment from above...they are pics of the actual "gap" before and after the fix as well as a comparison of how the right side looks (unfortunately I don't have pics of the teardown). As you can see from the pictures, the "gap" has been narrowed.

Attachments

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think that looks considerably better. Excellent outcome.

Reactions: spartan1984

·
Registered
51 Posts
Funny. The OP poster gap on the right side is exactly the same as mine. I can assume the very loose tolerances on all of these parts (most likely to keep it affordable). I don't seem to get bothered by it.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Let me clarify my "pic" comment from above...they are pics of the actual "gap" before and after the fix as well as a comparison of how the right side looks (unfortunately I don't have pics of the teardown). As you can see from the pictures, the "gap" has been narrowed.
Looks the same as mine, now.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Looks the same as mine, now.
The first 3 pics are of the left fairing...before the alignment and after the alignment, while the other 2 pics show how the right side fairing is lined up properly. It's better but the bottom line is, just ride and enjoy :grin2:

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
The first 3 pics are of the left fairing...before the alignment and after the alignment, while the other 2 pics show how the right side fairing is lined up properly. It's better but the bottom line is, just ride and enjoy :grin2:
Yup. My right side is just like yours, perfect. The left is also just like your now-fixed left. Small gap. Noticeable only IF I look at it and think about it. Agree, just ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have the exact problem that Lpe1314 shares. the dealer said they would fix that alignment problem at my first service. i want to try to realign it myself but am worried that i may do something wrong. it kind of bugs me though. i am surprised that it went through quality control this way. i am however enjoying this bike.

·
Registered
667 Posts
i have the exact problem that Lpe1314 shares. the dealer said they would fix that alignment problem at my first service. i want to try to realign it myself but am worried that i may do something wrong. it kind of bugs me though. i am surprised that it went through quality control this way. i am however enjoying this bike.
Just remind your dealer before going in for the 1st service. Ducati North America knows about the "gap" issue and I would hope that they reported it up the chain to big Ducati. Got mine "adjusted" at no cost to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts