Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Topic question - see photo.

I had some paint protection film put on the other day (attached photos show some of it peeling a bit, which happens sometimes after application - it can be stuck back down), but I notice a pretty distinct panel gap underneath the motorcycle when I went to see how the PPF was ahering - directly underneath at the front where it looks like the two fairings should meet flush underneath, there's actually a substantial gap, almost as if a clip or connector is missing. The very far right of the photo is the front of the motorcycle, where the two fairings meet - they don't come together 'perfectly', but it's close.

Could someone tell me what's up here? I tried to take photos of it from two angles to show you what I mean, and circled the areas where things look a bit wonky - almost as if a clip or part was missing.

My motorcycle has had its first service (which means the right-side fairing was taken off at least once). Is this a case of a mechanic doing a hasty/poor job of re-assembly? It was also 'dropped' against a wall from a stand-still by a detailer (who was prepping it for the PPF film), but it only impacted the bar-end and lever on the left side - nothing else.

Can anyone else take a look under their ride and tell me if something is missing like an extra connector or bracket? Or is this just stereotypical Italian construction issues?

Forgive the dirt - it was raining yesterday!

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle
Hood Sleeve Automotive exterior Bumper Gadget

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not at my bike right now, but I've had all plastics off my 2021 several times. I'm 99% sure there are 2 bolts down there. The one in your picture, and another. I'll snap a pic if nobody else has when I get home.

Unless your picture just cut off the other bolt?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My 950S is the same; it's untidy underneath the main fairing where they join together and looks misaligned. My 939 was not like this. I'm not worried as I (or others) cannot see it.

There are 2 bolts that hold the underneath of the panels together - a PITA to get back in place; I always seem to be able to get one in ok, but the other one is problematic!

Reactions: Battletech

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not at my bike right now, but I've had all plastics off my 2021 several times. I'm 99% sure there are 2 bolts down there. The one in your picture, and another. I'll snap a pic if nobody else has when I get home.

Unless your picture just cut off the other bolt?

Sorry, yeah I just didn't show the rear bolt.

Do you have a 950? Have any weird gapping like this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My 950S is the same; it's untidy underneath the main fairing where they join together and looks misaligned. My 939 was not like this. I'm not worried as I (or others) cannot see it.

There are 2 bolts that hold the underneath of the panels together - a PITA to get back in place; I always seem to be able to get one in ok, but the other one is problematic!
Well, that makes me feel a bit better that it's not just mine. Honestly, the panels are not aligned properly at this point. The bolts are in the right holes, but the panels still don't line up right.

If I am correct, the lower-right panel has to come off to do an oil change right? And that may mean the left-side gets a little loose too? I have to imagine the service techs just put it back together badly? The strange thing is that everything 'looks' bolted in properly, but doesn't fit.

Ideas welcome, but I honestly find it pretty annoying in a motorcycle this expensive.

Does anyone else have this kind of bad panel gapping? I only bought the bike in August, I kind of want to take it to the dealership and request (firmly but politely) that they fix it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 2021 950S and I don’t have a gap like that. There are some tabs on the bottom are re you sure you have them aligned properly. Hard to do and hard to see

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2021 950S and I don’t have a gap like that. There are some tabs on the bottom are re you sure you have them aligned properly. Hard to do and hard to see
Are the tabs on the actual panels? It does feel like one side is suppose to be 'on top' - and the right one is, but there's still that damn gap.

Any chance you could show me or tell me what tabs you're talking about?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes the tabs are on the panel. I’ll take some photos tomorrow for you. I’ve only had my battery side panel (left side) off to wire in my radar detector but it was a struggle to get it lined up right when putting it back on

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes the tabs are on the panel. I’ll take some photos tomorrow for you. I’ve only had my battery side panel (left side) off to wire in my radar detector but it was a struggle to get it lined up right when putting it back on
Thank you, I'd appreciate that - there does seem to be one side that is designed to sit 'on top' of the other, but if there are any actual retaining tabs, I can't see those.

Very kind!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes we may be talking about the same thing. One side has tabs that sit on top of the other and the bolts go through it into a captured metal nut. I’ll get you some photos tomorrow

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes we may be talking about the same thing. One side has tabs that sit on top of the other and the bolts go through it into a captured metal nut. I’ll get you some photos tomorrow
Ah yeah, so there's a long 'tab' on the left-side fairing that seems designed to be the 'top' one, the right side is clearly meant to be the bottom... problem is they don't actually merge in the middle, which tells me one of the fenders is sitting wrong.

I'll take those photos, thank you again! It might help me sort it out, or I can at least use your photos to complain to the dealership about their terrible job putting my fairings back on after the first service! It sounds like the dealership just did a **** job aligning things after the service at this point - but everything seems bolted to the right place, which is odd.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are some pretty good vids on YouTube about fairing removal. I think you probably have one side or the other misaligned. There are some push grommets at least on the left sid that don’t go in very easy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are some pretty good vids on YouTube about fairing removal. I think you probably have one side or the other misaligned. There are some push grommets at least on the left sid that don’t go in very easy
The only videos I've seen are for the 939, which I don't think is set up quite the same, but I will take a look.

I'll definitely appreciate your photos - it will help! Thanks again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’ll send you some photos but I’d take it back to the dealer if it’s convenient to you. They have something askew

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’ll send you some photos but I’d take it back to the dealer if it’s convenient to you. They have something askew
Dealer isn't local, unfortunately. Either I'd have to sort it out myself, or ask a local shop to attempt it. Frankly, I'm worried I'd screw it up even worse!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts