Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
It’s not hard. I’ve had mine off a couple of times. You just have to be patient and feel your way My dealer is 400 miles away so I’m pretty much on my own. I bet your lower push Grommet isn’t seated right on one side or the other

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
It’s not hard. I’ve had mine off a couple of times. You just have to be patient and feel your way My dealer is 400 miles away so I’m pretty much on my own. I bet your lower push Grommet isn’t seated right on one side or the other
Not even sure which that would be - any chance you could describe which this is, or point it out in a photo? The two fairings don't meet 'flush' at the bottom-front; the left side one seems a little bit 'ahead' of the one on the right.

On a related note, when I was simply looking for any major mounting issues last night, I noticed that one tab on one side wasn't quite seated right - the fairing was slightly 'on top' of it rather than seated fully... it made no difference to the area at the bottom when I simply pushed it into the proper place, but it shows that whoever put it back on wasn't too careful...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just going to echo what's already said.

I have a 21 950S, and have stripped all plastics off several times. I do not have that gap.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here are photos of my bike As you can see no gap is present. I would start at the back and see if here is a lower push grommet that isn’t seated properly

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here are photos of my bike As you can see no gap is present. I would start at the back and see if here is a lower push grommet that isn’t seated properly
Thank you so much for taking the time to photograph those for me.

What do you mean by a lower push grommet exactly?

Cheers!

Oh, and I was sent this by the dealership: they were polite, but pointed out that even their showroom model has a gap - clearly even the factory struggles with these?

Attached photo here is of the showroom bike - even a brand new, never-ridden, never-serviced 950S has a gap... albeit not as large as mine.

Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Flooring

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wow. I don’t know. Maybe some of them don’t fit very well. Mine does and GP Jake’s also does. Check out this discussion 950 Fairing Removal. Lord Farquad took some very useful photos. If you zoom on the first one you will see where he highlighted with a yellow box where there is a push grommet. There is a spike molded into fairing that pushes into that grommet it’s hard to do and if it wasn’t pushed onto the grommet hole properly I think it could cause your fairing to do what yours is doing. I’ve owned several Honda sports bikes over the years and their plastics are stiffer and heavier than the Ducati plastics. When I took off the left side fairing I was surprised how light and flimsy it was. If it were me I would start taking off the back bolts and the bolts in the bottom and gently pull back and feel inside the fairing where the yellow box is to make sure the push pieces are fully seated. Luckily the mismatched piece is on the bottom of the bike and no one will ever see it if that’s the way it really is. I should also add that the fit and finish on my Ducati is probably the best of any bike I’ve ever owned and Honda’s are very very good but this Duc is right there with or maybe even better. I suspect someone at you dealer doesn’t put them together correctly. Do you have a charger cable on your bike? If so then the dealer took off the left side to connect it to the battery and probably didn’t assemble it correctly when put back together

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Wow. I don’t know. Maybe some of them don’t fit very well. Mine does and GP Jake’s also does. Check out this discussion 950 Fairing Removal. Lord Farquad took some very useful photos. If you zoom on the first one you will see where he highlighted with a yellow box where there is a push grommet. There is a spike molded into fairing that pushes into that grommet it’s hard to do and if it wasn’t pushed onto the grommet hole properly I think it could cause your fairing to do what yours is doing. I’ve owned several Honda sports bikes over the years and their plastics are stiffer and heavier than the Ducati plastics. When I took off the left side fairing I was surprised how light and flimsy it was. If it were me I would start taking off the back bolts and the bolts in the bottom and gently pull back and feel inside the fairing where the yellow box is to make sure the push pieces are fully seated. Luckily the mismatched piece is on the bottom of the bike and no one will ever see it if that’s the way it really is. I should also add that the fit and finish on my Ducati is probably the best of any bike I’ve ever owned and Honda’s are very very good but this Duc is right there with or maybe even better. I suspect someone at you dealer doesn’t put them together correctly. Do you have a charger cable on your bike? If so then the dealer took off the left side to connect it to the battery and probably didn’t assemble it correctly when put back together

Thanks for the long reply, I really (really) appreciate your time.

Interesting on the 'yellow box' example - my understanding is the fairings are basically quarters - upper and lower on both sides. I would have thought that the issue would be with a 'lower' fairing, not an 'upper' one where that box is located.

Good observation on the charger cable - yes, I have that poking out.

Fit and finish on my Ducati overall is very good; the components look great, nothing rattles, squeaks, fails to work, or misbehaves. This looks like after my initial servicing, whomever did the re-assembly job just did a rushed one and figured 'good enough' would be 'good enough' - which for most people it would be, but I admit I'm picky.

The dealership isn't nearby - I intend to basically send a polite email indicating my disappointment at the sloppy re-assembly, but there's not much else I can do. There's a local shop that's quite decent - they work on all sorts of brands - and the tech owns a Ninja 1000 and has had experience re-assembling his fairings plenty; even if I 'shouldn't' have to pay for a fix to a shoddy dealer re-assembly, I'm tempted to just ask that guy to sort mine out.

Last photo of mine here - poor camera work aside, can you see how the 'left' fairing is sort of more recessed compared to the right? They don't line up at the bottom - this is of course pictured facing the fairings from just behind the front wheel. No idea what would cause this - do you think the 'left' one is too far back, or is the 'right' too far forward? I'm guessing the 'left' one is tucked too far in, if anything - it's the left side underneath that's 'kinked' a bit, if you see my first photos.

Sorry here for all the questions - only ever owned Triumphs (no fairings!).

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes look at the photo again from Lord Farquad I should have been more clear but the yellow box I was referring to is on the lower left of the photo. It is the one I think is probably not seated correctly and would affect the lower fairing. I greased mine with spark plug diaelectric grease to help it go back together The fairing is upper and lower, but when you take it off it comes off as one piece. I think the left side is sitting to far back causing the gap at the bottom. I think it probably was put back together in a hurry after they installed the trickle charger lead because time is money in most shops. Glad to help. Hope you get it resolved 😊

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Yes look at the photo again from Lord Farquad I should have been more clear but the yellow box I was referring to is on the lower left of the photo. It is the one I think is probably not seated correctly and would affect the lower fairing. I greased mine with spark plug diaelectric grease to help it go back together The fairing is upper and lower, but when you take it off it comes off as one piece. I think the left side is sitting to far back causing the gap at the bottom. I think it probably was put back together in a hurry after they installed the trickle charger lead because time is money in most shops. Glad to help. Hope you get it resolved 😊
Thanks again for everything (especially the patience!).

Is that that lower-yellow one difficult or at least awkward to put in - that grommett? If so, I can see how it might have been 'missed' - after all, if a tech isn't looking really closely, the fairings line up reasonably well - I mean unless you're picky like me, you'd never notice.

I mentioned in my first post, it did get tipped to its left side by the detailer who installed the PPF (accident of course), but came to rest on the bar-end with no fairing contact; he's an extremely-respected business in the city, so I've no reason to disbelieve him, and he was fully transparent about it (replaced my bar-end and lever immediately without even me having to ask!). If that had stand-still-tip had hit hard enough to do serious damage a fairing bolt/mount, I imagine SERIOUS paint damage and cracking would have had to occur. Maybe it was jarred loose? I find it more likely that the dealership did a weak job on the re-install after the battery or oil change though.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to photograph those for me.

What do you mean by a lower push grommet exactly?

Cheers!

Oh, and I was sent this by the dealership: they were polite, but pointed out that even their showroom model has a gap - clearly even the factory struggles with these?

Attached photo here is of the showroom bike - even a brand new, never-ridden, never-serviced 950S has a gap... albeit not as large as mine.

View attachment 44193
Not to bash your dealer but the fairing has to come off to hook up the battery during prep so the fact their “showroom fresh” bike shows a gap only highlights the fact they are possibly not installing them together correctly.

I will say this is my first Ducati, and while overall fit and finish is good, it’s not as “perfect” as the Japanese fit and finish in places. It’s a struggle to get the 939 fairing to line up at times, my Triumph is the same way, btw, but will go with some coercing if properly lined up. I’d bet it’s just not lined up right.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
For Members that have been around since the beginning of the Forum, you might recall the “fairing alignment gap” discussion at the joint on the left and right topside, where the front fairing meets the side fairings. After the fairings are loosened it can be easily aligned. It’s very possible that the above misalignment just needs to be properly loosened and nudged, or perhaps a grommet is missing or miss aligned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
For Members that have been around since the beginning of the Forum, you might recall the “fairing alignment gap” discussion at the joint on the left and right topside, where the front fairing meets the side fairings. After the fairings are loosened it can be easily aligned. It’s very possible that the above misalignment just needs to be properly loosened and nudged, or perhaps a grommet is missing or miss aligned.
Thanks, Ed; is there any particular guide on this? I did see a linked thread earlier - is that the definitive guide right now?

Not sure if you looked at my example, but it looks like my left-side one is almost over-tightened or something, as it seems to almost bend in too far - it's not massively noticeable, just to a picky person like me, but for the price we pay for these rides, I do expect better, you know?

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
@Battletech Like the thread referenced in the post above, there are lots of other threads on fairing removal that can be found with the Forum Search function…mostly on the 939, but it’s very similar.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks for the long reply, I really (really) appreciate your time.

Interesting on the 'yellow box' example - my understanding is the fairings are basically quarters - upper and lower on both sides. I would have thought that the issue would be with a 'lower' fairing, not an 'upper' one where that box is located.

Good observation on the charger cable - yes, I have that poking out.

Fit and finish on my Ducati overall is very good; the components look great, nothing rattles, squeaks, fails to work, or misbehaves. This looks like after my initial servicing, whomever did the re-assembly job just did a rushed one and figured 'good enough' would be 'good enough' - which for most people it would be, but I admit I'm picky.

The dealership isn't nearby - I intend to basically send a polite email indicating my disappointment at the sloppy re-assembly, but there's not much else I can do. There's a local shop that's quite decent - they work on all sorts of brands - and the tech owns a Ninja 1000 and has had experience re-assembling his fairings plenty; even if I 'shouldn't' have to pay for a fix to a shoddy dealer re-assembly, I'm tempted to just ask that guy to sort mine out.

Last photo of mine here - poor camera work aside, can you see how the 'left' fairing is sort of more recessed compared to the right? They don't line up at the bottom - this is of course pictured facing the fairings from just behind the front wheel. No idea what would cause this - do you think the 'left' one is too far back, or is the 'right' too far forward? I'm guessing the 'left' one is tucked too far in, if anything - it's the left side underneath that's 'kinked' a bit, if you see my first photos.

Sorry here for all the questions - only ever owned Triumphs (no fairings!).

View attachment 44194
There's a snap closure where the the red side fairing mates with the black radiator cover. Very hard to engage the snap and get the grommet to engage at the same time. Check the fit on both sides and see if they're the same. The left side looks correct. The right side??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
There's a snap closure where the the red side fairing mates with the black radiator cover. Very hard to engage the snap and get the grommet to engage at the same time. Check the fit on both sides and see if they're the same. The left side looks correct. The right side??
If you mean the right side in the photo (which is actually the left side of the Ducati if one was sitting on it looking forward), then yeah - it looks 'over-tight', doesn't it? Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you mean the right side in the photo (which is actually the left side of the Ducati if one was sitting on it looking forward), then yeah - it looks 'over-tight', doesn't it? Is that what you mean?
I meant the left side of the motorcycle as you're sitting on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I meant the left side of the motorcycle as you're sitting on it.
Yeah, it looks like that side is 'extra tight' to the body - pretty weird.

I am getting the idea that the dealership did a shite job and didn't actually get the frame into the grommet (or worse).

Cheers!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had both sides off this weekend installing the Termi. The last job I did before turning out the lights and closing the door was installing those last two screws on the underbelly of the fairing.

Turned out to be the third most fiddly thing I did all weekend… but when installed correctly, there’s no gap at all…

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeah, it looks like that side is 'extra tight' to the body - pretty weird.

I am getting the idea that the dealership did a shite job and didn't actually get the frame into the grommet (or worse).

Cheers!
Check along the joining edges. The black radiator guard is supposed to snap inside the red panel. I had the same problem with the under sides not coming together properly. This was my issue. I has to loosen all the screws. Then pull the side panel forward while pushing in, to get the snaps to engage while the plug went into the grommet. I don't remember having this much trouble with the 939. But it is very secure and tight once engaged.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
21 - 40 of 40 Posts