Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have an issue when using the Quickshifter (QS) and it finding a false neutral?
It's very disconcerting when getting a move on and you change gear and hear the engine scream! It's happened that many times now, I now recognize the tell tale feeling of when it has found a false neutral and back of the throttle to avoid bouncing off the rev limiter.
Had my 2017 S from new and at least once on every ride it will go into a false neutral between gears when changing up the box using the QS.
Spoke to the Dealer when it went in for a Service last year to see if the QS could be adjusted and they said it was non adjustable. Whilst it was being serviced I was offered a demo bike to take out. I asked what they had and was told I could have any of the Ducati range apart from the V4 - damn :( Took the 959 Panigale Corse out for 2 hours and the gearbox and QS were so much smoother. I know it's a different gearbox to the Superport but the difference was clearly noticeable.
So back to my question, anyone else having problem with the QS and false neutrals?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have had the occasional false neutral, but I realised I just needed to be really positive in my foot movements. Not had one since then.

I did however take out a Panigale V2 and the engine and gearbox in that bike were stunning. If we could have that engine, gearbox, EMU and IMU in the Supersport....oh boy...maybe 2021 update....

·
Registered
405 Posts
Maybe 4 or 5 shifts in 20k miles. Mainly, when new. Running in and my getting used to the QS. When new it was really clunky using the QS until I was in 3rd. With 20,000 mls it works great all the way through the box. Not sure whether that's running in the gears, or me developing the right technique.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I get them sometimes but as the second poster said you have to be really positive in the shifts. I get them often when quick shifting from 1st to 2nd(so often that I don't use the quick shift in those gears). On my 17 SSS it really likes to bite into second. While being positive with your left foot also be steady with your right wrist. I think that some of my false neutral upshifts after due to force of habit. I'll ever so slightly flinch my wrist while I'm shifting and I think the computer can see that. I've also noticed that if the engine/gearbox is not fully warmed up it doesn't like to quick shift or auto blip.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I have it only between 5-6, in 99% I don't use QS between 1-2-1 - it was the first thing my mechanic told me when I picked up mine in 2017. As far as my conclusions are: there is no problem with it unless you really use higher revs and let go gas and the same time downshift - I have to try it yet on the big track. In my daily city ride I had never problems between 3-4-5. The more gently you ride the harder you have to kick the lever.

@Triplesapper there are couple of threads here regarding QS, even slightly changes in the position and or oil change could help. One recall action is there with the instruction what to do with PDF. :) - job for the dealer though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys, should have said, my bike has only done 3500 miles. I know, I know , its not a lot in just under 3 years, but I broke my left femur in 2018 when I fell playing squash against my good lady and was off work for 3 months. Last year I had a hip replacement (left leg) so couldnt get out on the bike as again I was out of action for 3 months.

I am firm with the lever when chaning gears. Its actually put me off using the QS to the point that I use the clutch.

@allwoodd. I was due to go out on a V2 Demo bike today, but cancelled as I have decided due to finances, to keep the Supersport. I was also looking at maybe part exchanging my Supersport S for a 2020 S model. Ducati Stoke (DMC Stoke) said they would knock £1000 off the price of a new Supersport S if I took it without the panniers. He would only knock £250 off the V2.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry guys, should have said, my bike has only done 3500 miles. I know, I know , its not a lot in just under 3 years, but I broke my left femur in 2018 when I fell playing squash against my good lady and was off work for 3 months. Last year I had a hip replacement (left leg) so couldnt get out on the bike as again I was out of action for 3 months.

I am firm with the lever when chaning gears. Its actually put me off using the QS to the point that I use the clutch.

@allwoodd. I was due to go out on a V2 Demo bike today, but cancelled as I have decided due to finances, to keep the Supersport. I was also looking at maybe part exchanging my Supersport S for a 2020 S model. Ducati Stoke (DMC Stoke) said they would knock £1000 off the price of a new Supersport S if I took it without the panniers. He would only knock £250 off the V2.
Not sure that there is any material difference in a 2020 model of the SS. Sounds to me like the dealer definitely should look at the quickshifter as it really shouldn't be that troublesome. My 2018 version has about 7500 miles on it now and the QS still works a treat. I bought it with just over 3500 on the clock which I viewed as being run in. It didn't have a QS so I had the standard Ducati part fitted and I absolutely love it.

Sorry to hear that yours is somewhat 'less than optimal'.

·
Registered
109 Posts

I had loads of issues with my SSS and DMC Stoke didn't want to know, they were quite insulting in fact. I moved dealerships and the attitude was totally different, Coventry Ducati sorted all the issues out and the service was excellent.
I'd highly recommend not using DMC as their attitude stinks, all they are interested in is selling you a bike, after that they don't want to know.
I am looking at getting another bike soon and the bigger dealerships are offering much better deals than DMC Stoke too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had loads of issues with my SSS and DMC Stoke didn't want to know, they were quite insulting in fact. I moved dealerships and the attitude was totally different, Coventry Ducati sorted all the issues out and the service was excellent.
I'd highly recommend not using DMC as their attitude stinks, all they are interested in is selling you a bike, after that they don't want to know.
I am looking at getting another bike soon and the bigger dealerships are offering much better deals than DMC Stoke too.
Thanks for the heads up about DMC Stoke Matt. I bought mine from Woods of Abergele in 2017 and it has been serviced by them from new. It was Woods who said that the QS was non adjustable Its in for a Service end of July so I'll get them to look at it again.

·
Registered
213 Posts
DQS has actually gone through few new versions/part numbers in the past years. I don't think there is a noticeable difference to be honest, but I hope they have improved the protection and durability of the mechanics inside.

DQS is also a bit sensible to dirt. Clean and slightly lubed DQS is just smoother on shifts too.

It is worth noting, that correct gear lever position on the spline has quite an effect on the shifts too. Positive inputs require a good foot position on the lever.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,613 Posts
DQS has actually gone through few new versions/part numbers in the past years. I don't think there is a noticeable difference to be honest, but I hope they have improved the protection and durability of the mechanics inside.

DQS is also a bit sensible to dirt. Clean and slightly lubed DQS is just smoother on shifts too.

It is worth noting, that correct gear lever position on the spline has quite an effect on the shifts too. Positive inputs require a good foot position on the lever.
Agreed. Last year I suffered from the occasional false neutral when shifting from 4th to 5th. During the winter I lengthened the linkage rod by 1 turn (the smallest amount possible, probably 1 mm), moving the pedal down slightly. So far this year, none.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does anyone have an issue when using the Quickshifter (QS) and it finding a false neutral?
It's very disconcerting when getting a move on and you change gear and hear the engine scream! It's happened that many times now, I now recognize the tell tale feeling of when it has found a false neutral and back of the throttle to avoid bouncing off the rev limiter.
Had my 2017 S from new and at least once on every ride it will go into a false neutral between gears when changing up the box using the QS.
Spoke to the Dealer when it went in for a Service last year to see if the QS could be adjusted and they said it was non adjustable. Whilst it was being serviced I was offered a demo bike to take out. I asked what they had and was told I could have any of the Ducati range apart from the V4 - damn :( Took the 959 Panigale Corse out for 2 hours and the gearbox and QS were so much smoother. I know it's a different gearbox to the Superport but the difference was clearly noticeable.
So back to my question, anyone else having problem with the QS and false neutrals?
I too have that problem but I’m on the base model with no quick shifter. So glad you posted this because I’ve been meaning to. Not only that, when you pop in back into gear, it grinds in!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had the occasional false neutral, but I realised I just needed to be really positive in my foot movements. Not had one since then.

I did however take out a Panigale V2 and the engine and gearbox in that bike were stunning. If we could have that engine, gearbox, EMU and IMU in the Supersport....oh boy...maybe 2021 update....
@allwoodd out of interest how did you find the seat height and comfort on the V2 compared to the SuperSport?

·
Registered
178 Posts
@allwoodd out of interest how did you find the seat height and comfort on the V2 compared to the SuperSport?
Seat height more or less the same. Foot pegs slightly higher and bars slightly lower.
I was a bit worried that it would be a bit extreme for me but it was actually really comfortable. I took the Streetfighter V4S out today...

·
Registered
2020 SuperSport Ti
37 Posts
I also had a chance to ride the V2 and compared to SS it is night and day. V2 has much lower handlebars and higher pegs which means you basically lay on the tank and have you’re legs cramped. I’m 6.2’ and after an hour ride my wrists hurt a lot. Also V2 gets very hot in traffic, to the point I had to spread my legs not get burnt. I heard people complaining about SS getting hot, just ride a V2 and you’ll think that SS is chill.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Impressions?
There are plenty of professional road tests out there so I will try not to repeat them. This is more a stream of (focussed) concieousness...

I had the bike for about 45 minutes and I rode on a mixture of Motorway (Interstate), A Roads (Highways) and B roads (local roads). THese are more personal observations rather than a full blown test review which would need a lot more time with the machine.

First of all thanks to Vindis Ducati in Cambridge who provided their usual excellent service.
On switching on the bike the first thing I noticed was the exhaust. It is loud, and that's the standard exhaust. It was loud throughout the test and felt rather intrusive after the SS. How it got through noise tests is beyond me. I know there are lot's of folk who like a loud exhaust, but I'm not one of them. Nice deep tone though which would be nice on the SS.

Controls are all simple to operate and fall to the hand very well. User interface is simple to use and there are certain things you can adjust on the move although some of them will require you to close the throttle to make them stick.
Hydraulic clutch very easy to operate but really only needed to set off in first and when coming to a halt. The Quickshifter takes care of the rest. The brakes are predictably fantastic - sensitive and powerful.
Full colour display is excellent, but like the V2 this bike does not have a fuel gauge - it simply puts the fuel low light on when you need to top up - I am not a fan of this at all. I know we all rode bikes that didn't have fuel gauge in the 70s, but this is the 21st century and I struggle to find any justification for not including this as standard.
Easy to get the bike on the move. It is very well balanced and easy to handle. Quickshifter is excellent as is the torque spread of the engine. Only used the clutch from a standstill - all other changes were QS. Not entirely convinced of the blipper on down changes although I suspect you can dig into the menu items and refine this.
Engine quite growly and vibery which surprised me. In many ways the SS is much smoother.
Despite the fact that it is a naked the wind pressure was not really noticeable until the bike was pushed above about 80mph (allegedly :)). With a suitably fashionable fly screen I don't think wind pressure should be too much of a problem.
You sit slightly forward with a small stretch to the bars.
The bike is really, really, really comfortable. WIth the aforementioned fly screen I reckon this is an all day high speed cruiser. The only caveat to that is that the exhaust will annoy you after a while. I was wearing my carbon fibre helmet which can be a bit noisy and I would want ear plugs on a long journey.
Needless to say this thing handles beautifully. I had the V4s with the electronic Ohlins suspension and the best compliment I can give it is that I didn't notice it at any time but the control is exempliary. Is it any better than the SS - not for the sort of road based riding that I do.
Overtaking is a breeze - simply open the throttle and enjoy a huge wave of torque or pop down the box and blat it if you are in a hurry - all handled with no drama (that may disappoint some people).
To sum up - it is lovely but did it make me want to change up from the SS?. I am still thinking about that, but truthfully neither this nor the V2 are really sufficiently better than the SS for me to want to change. Once you have ridden the Ducati alternatives and come back to the SS you appreciate what a fine machine it is. Now - if they could put the V2 engine and gearbox in the SS chassis....

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It's not surprising that the V4 is "vibey". It's a "big bang" 90 degree V with the opposite throw at 70 degrees apart ("twin pulse" 90-200-90-340 timing). Must be an exciting ride, too bad they couldn't make it pretty like the SS but it certainly looks mean. I always wear earplugs when I ride.

Now if they could put the V2 engine into the SS.............(with enough range and balance)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts