Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To preface I rode a 2003 cbr 600rr before I got this bike.
My first ride with it was today after delivery. VERY fun bike. It's so much easier on my body. I'm still in break in period so I'm (trying) to keep it under 5k...I really don't see how anyone can do it. Feels like the bike is mad at me.

My question is this. I found it to be more difficult to get the bike to lean than my older bike. Did any of you experience that coming from sport bike clip ons? Slow curvy roads are no issue but really getting the bike to tip on a sharper curve seems harder.. I weigh about 220. I'm sure I can get the bike setup for my weight but to be honest it's the most comfy thing I've ever ridden on 2 wheels. Could it be the suspension? Or is it just that way with the straight handle bars?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I found the stock Pirelli tires have a bit of “tip in” to them that takes you a bit of effort to get past and the bike likes a bit of pressure on the handlebar to hold the line. You get used to it but a pure sports bike on pure sport tires will be an easier tip in. At least that is my experience.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I've always had the opposite issue where the lower clip-ons give me less leverage to turn. For me this bike turns in quicker than the R6 and 600RR that I've test ridden.

I guess it's just a matter of preference?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the stock Pirelli tires have a bit of “tip in” to them that takes you a bit of effort to get past and the bike likes a bit of pressure on the handlebar to hold the line. You get used to it but a pure sports bike on pure sport tires will be an easier tip in. At least that is my experience.
That's the phrase that was escaping me. Tip in. My old bike had pilot 2s so it wasn't anything special but it just felt like I could flick it with no problem. With the more upright position of this one it feels like I'm having to put a lot of pressure counter steering to get it to tip..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always had the opposite issue where the lower clip-ons give me less leverage to turn. For me this bike turns in quicker than the R6 and 600RR that I've test ridden.

I guess it's just a matter of preference?
Maybe its in my head. My old bike was smaller and lowered 1inch. So this bike is obviously more upright and sits higher. It felt like i had to push a lot to get it to tip over. Now doing long sweeping turns? Its like a dream and very fast. Its the tight ones at lower speeds.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You really need to check the suspension sag. At least my bike came with really low tail, and needed loads more preload on the shock. That makes the bike a bit lazy to turn in. Overall, I think that the bike turns pretty nice.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Its your suspension set up. Do your Sag and set the ride Hight of the bike. you will probably find that the rear end is squatting a little. i have set my bike with the rear a fraction higher than i would normally have it on other bikes. (just found i like it that way with the way i turn in and accelerate out of corners.

·
Super Moderator
5,966 Posts
Suspension adjustments will help, but also the SS has a much longer wheelbase (58.3 in) compared to the super short wheelbase of your 2003 CBR RR (54.7 in), that is even shorter than a V2 (56.5 in).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I find it helps to consciously counter steer. If I just ride it without thinking it's a little resistant but if I steer more deliberately with the bars it goes exactly where I want. Maybe it is the pirellis but it is naturally stable - you need to make it clear to the bike when it should turn

·
Registered
2020 SuperSport Ti
45 Posts
I'm still in break in period so I'm (trying) to keep it under 5k...I really don't see how anyone can do it. Feels like the bike is mad at me.
You can go up to 6000 RPM for the first 1000km (600mi) and then 7000 RPM till 2500km (1500mi) according to the manual.

·
Registered
816 Posts
It's a different bike with different geometry. You know how every modern Ducati racer says that the bike is tough to get to turn? Here it is. What you get is a rock solid and confidence insipiring platform, you trade off with slower turn in. You will also find that you can pick and change your lines mid turn with little worry of over steer or tank slappers.

It's always a compromise with vehicle design more of one thing gets you less of another. The CBR600RR was designed to be a light weight race bike for the track, then homoligated for the street. The Supersport was always designed to be a street bike with less hypersensitive manners.

·
Registered
216 Posts
At 220lbs, you will need stiffer fork springs to get the correct sag figures. At 85kgs (187lbs) I am on the limit on the S Ohlins model, I can't speak for the non S model. Others may be able to comment.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
At 220lbs, you will need stiffer fork springs to get the correct sag figures. At 85kgs (187lbs) I am on the limit on the S Ohlins model, I can't speak for the non S model. Others may be able to comment.
220LB rider is no problem on the standard SS. My bike even has passenger pegs even though I've never used them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know about that. I am 250 on a SSS. After spending time with Dave Moss setting the bike up, I am amazed at how well this bike really rides. YES, a stiffer front end will handle better but thats for the track. For street purposes, the bike offers a lot. Its not a sport bike but after tweaking the bike its pretty impressive. I have a few corners that I use to ride and really measure my speed, I showed an increase for sure.

To the OP, what tire pressure are you running? I run 36/36 cold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Once you have the sag and spring rate right for your weight, pull the for tubes up 15 mm in the clamps and get rid of those round profile Pirellis. I put Dunlop Q3+ on mine, the steering feel is night and day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
36/36 cold is to make sure the tires don't fail riding with a pillion in death valley in August.
I'm running 32/30, I weigh 175 (200 in gear). The grip is superb.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am ashamed. I pulled a dumbass move and im willing to share. I am in agreeance that i do need to do a supension setup but i figured out why it was turning so horribly. I went to hook up my tire pressure monitor to the new bike and i thought it was malfunctioning but it wasn't.... 18lbs in front 20lbs in rear...facepalm

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm probably around 180lbs with all my gear and I definitely found stiffer springs in the front to be a big improvement on the ride quality. My preload was maxed with the stock Ohlins springs. 9.0Kg springs and now the forks stay 10mm+ from bottoming out on hard braking with preload at manual recommended setting.

This should also benefit the adjustability of your rebound and compression clickers. Since your fork, with the proper spring rate, will stay within the optimal range of its stroke, rather than being on the bottom of it all the time.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I am ashamed. I pulled a dumbass move and im willing to share. I am in agreeance that i do need to do a supension setup but i figured out why it was turning so horribly. I went to hook up my tire pressure monitor to the new bike and i thought it was malfunctioning but it wasn't.... 18lbs in front 20lbs in rear...facepalm
Yup, that’ll do it!!! Glad you found it :)

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Yup.

When I buy a new bike (or car) I take it straight home and check tyre pressures and set the ergonomics.

If I get a service I check tyre pressures (and wheel nut torque on the car). Probably being anal retentive but I demand everything to be at its optimum.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts