Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test rode a Supersport S yesterday. I enjoyed the test ride and everything about the bike. Finding neutral was difficult if not impossible at times on the test ride. I did find neutral going from 2nd with a light down tap into neutral a few times. Those who own the bike and have a little bit of miles on them is finding neutral getting better to the point of just being able to click into neutral like most other manufactures. This is certainly a factor in my decision making to purchase. Looking forward to hearing your experience.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Like a fine red wine, it improves with age! See other threads for plenty of discussion/answers. It's a common Ducati new bike feature.

·
Registered
128 Posts
As Steve said, it gets better the more miles you put on the bike. The gear box will loosen up. My 959 was the same way.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
My mate reckons it's a characteristic of Ducati gearboxes to have no neutral but to make up for it by having a neutral between every gear from 2nd to 6th instead.
This is kinda true, numerous occasions where ive found myself between gears, i have about 200 miles on the bike now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
When i rode on a red s in march, i didn't have pb with neutral ( i don't remember number of km of the test bike).

When i got my red s on 9th of april, arrgh.. impossible to find neutral at stop. In the beginning , i put neutral before total stopping.

Now after 1200km and 1st service passed this we, it is really better . Like other guys said, it ll be perfect after more kms.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Could only put 40 miles on today because of rain. I'm at 265 on the odometer. But today neutral was kind to me. Even if the weather wasn't! Seems to me, and I'm wearing a full riding boot, that if I very gently ease her down from second, it goes right in. Same with up from 1st. In other good news. The SS was great in the rain. I was running sport mode with DTC 3 and the ABS at 2. I never felt unstable even in corners. Although I wasn't blazing trails either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
After testing out one the other week for the first time, that was one of my big complaints as i never once found neutral during my ride. Later on i read that it's supposed to be easier to do so while you're rolling to a stop vs being at a stop and then going to neutral like i'm used to on my Honda CBR600. I've also heard fine-tuning the clutch cable might help and also using Motul oil after your first 600 mile service helps. Something with the viscosity of the oil. Dunno...

·
Registered
545 Posts
After testing out one the other week for the first time, that was one of my big complaints as i never once found neutral during my ride. Later on i read that it's supposed to be easier to do so while you're rolling to a stop vs being at a stop and then going to neutral like i'm used to on my Honda CBR600. I've also heard fine-tuning the clutch cable might help and also using Motul oil after your first 600 mile service helps. Something with the viscosity of the oil. Dunno...
Every machine has its own methods of operation. I've owned several Ducatis and they all liked to go to neutral before coming to a stop. I see this not as a problem, just a trait of the machines.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 1199 been the smoothest gear box I've known
No problems with neutral or any other gear for that matter from the day I rode her out of the dealers with zero miles.
So I wouldent say it a trait of all Ducati's
But i have been told it's Common on the monsters models
Which I believe share a similar power plant.
Fingers crossed it goes away with use.
Of course it could be Ducati eco version of stop start technology :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is kinda true, numerous occasions where ive found myself between gears, i have about 200 miles on the bike now.
You'll get false neutrals if you shift too soft. Ducati's liked to be shifted hard. Especially when using the quick shifter.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You'll get false neutrals if you shift too soft. Ducati's liked to be shifted hard. Especially when using the quick shifter.
Trying to get used to that. I did adjust the gear lever so that I dont have to toe-up too much, but have been stuck between gears. I think i really have to jam my foot under it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm somewhat surprised with all the fuss on this topic. As I noted in my first impressions, neutral was near impossible to find for the first few miles, but I remained patient, let the parts all settle in (it only had 3 miles on it when I picked it up!), and learned to understand my bike. Works like a charm now. I hope buyers-to-be don't let this distract you from getting on a great bike!

·
Registered
41 Posts
So with the understanding that i'll just need to learn to roll it into neutral before i stop and this will get easier over time, do other previous ducati owners experience ease of clicking it into neutral when you are at a complete stop after properly breaking the bike in?

·
Registered
886 Posts
So with the understanding that i'll just need to learn to roll it into neutral before i stop and this will get easier over time, do other previous ducati owners experience ease of clicking it into neutral when you are at a complete stop after properly breaking the bike in?
My 2V, air cooled, '94 Supersport still gives me issues at a stop with the engine running and hot. It's 23 years old. Fresh and full oil helps, as does running it around a little bit to let the oil cool down after a hot/hard run. Otherwise I hunt for it in both directions and just slips past me either way.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I put some more miles on it over the weekend and if anything it's worse. This morning I struggled to find neutral even while rolling. It's now 100% impossible to find at a stop. I now have to keep letting the clutch out a little, rolling forward and then pulling it in and trying to shift until the gearbox aligns and it slots in - difficult to do in tight traffic.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I put some more miles on it over the weekend and if anything it's worse. This morning I struggled to find neutral even while rolling. It's now 100% impossible to find at a stop. I now have to keep letting the clutch out a little, rolling forward and then pulling it in and trying to shift until the gearbox aligns and it slots in - difficult to do in tight traffic.
Check clutch cable adjustment, 3 to 4mm it does bed in

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
My neutral seems to be good but I did apply a highly unusual approach to getting it working. My issue is that on two occasions today the gears slipped out and the revs shot up. It's rather annoying coz I am trying my best to adhere to the prescribed running in approach in the booklet.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
My neutral seems to be good but I did apply a highly unusual approach to getting it working. My issue is that on two occasions today the gears slipped out and the revs shot up. It's rather annoying coz I am trying my best to adhere to the prescribed running in approach in the booklet.
Ive had it shoot up a few times on me cos of the same reason. Someone else mentioned, needs firm pressure both ways, instead of a tap

1 - 20 of 39 Posts