Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live 120 miles from my dealer so will perform the first service myself (fine since I usually do it, anyway). The important thing, as usual, seems to be the oil and filter change.

Since this is my first Ducati, what tools are needed?

Thanks!

P.S. In the parts catalog, I notice that Ducati has two (2) different tools (a strap and the other a cap-like tool) to remove the oil filter. I have a strap tool. But I usually only hand-tighten my oil filters and then can loosen them by hand, too (and have never had a leak).

·
Registered
998 Posts
Find allen sockets that fit the screen tool. Not sure about your engine, but my Monster has an exterior one and a smaller one inside that removes the mesh screen.

Also, I believe there's software to shut off the service light

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It requires software?

That sounds unnecessarily complicated for an oil change.

What kind of software? Where do you get it? What hardware runs it? And where do you plug it into the bike?

·
Registered
998 Posts
It's just to remove the service reminder light. I believe it's called the DDA kit. One of our South African members has more details on what's needed and how to use it.

My M1100 didn't have the software available to the public, so my service light has been on for over 15,000 miles. I just ignore it. It doesn't affect the bike in any way.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
It requires software?

That sounds unnecessarily complicated for an oil change.

What kind of software? Where do you get it? What hardware runs it? And where do you plug it into the bike?
Yes, generally ONLY authorized Ducati technicians have the DDA cable and software to reset the light. It can be done by you, but you will need software and the appropriate connectors. To me, it's not worth it. Gotta pay to play with Ducati, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, generally ONLY authorized Ducati technicians have the DDA cable and software to reset the light. It can be done by you, but you will need software and the appropriate connectors. To me, it's not worth it. Gotta pay to play with Ducati, I'm afraid.
Thanks.

I noticed the diagnostic kit listed in the parts catalog, so I'll investigate that for a do-it-yourself option.

Then I'll check with my local motorcycle mechanic to see if he services Ducatis.

I'd like to avoid a 240-mile round trip to my nearest dealer to change the oil or turn off a warning light.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Just cuz your local mechanic services Ducs doesn't mean he has the software. He might just do the mechanical work.

Personally, under those conditions, I'd just change the oil and filter, check all bolts, keep the receipts of materials, and pics of the job as a service record, and just ignore the service indicator.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Thanks.

I noticed the diagnostic kit listed in the parts catalog, so I'll investigate that for a do-it-yourself option.

Then I'll check with my local motorcycle mechanic to see if he services Ducatis.

I'd like to avoid a 240-mile round trip to my nearest dealer to change the oil or turn off a warning light.
My dealer is further away and I am in the same situation as you. I will do interim services myself but put the bike on a trailer and take it down for the major service and service light reset.

·
Registered
998 Posts
My dealer is further away and I am in the same situation as you. I will do interim services myself but put the bike on a trailer and take it down for the major service and service light reset.
the 600 mile service is an interim service and only requires the dealer to reset the service light. What will you do for that? Personally, I'd rather spend the money on the DDA cable kit and save myself 7 hours worth of driving, fuel cost, and dealership cost.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the 600 mile service is an interim service and only requires the dealer to reset the service light. What will you do for that? Personally, I'd rather spend the money on the DDA cable kit and save myself 7 hours worth of driving, fuel cost, and dealership cost.
I think that's what Rhino was saying--that we would do the interim services (like oil changes) and visit the dealer only for major services (like valve adjustments).

Like you, I thought of getting the DDS kit and cable. That's until I got the quote this morning.

$4,000.

LOL!

From 600mi to 18,000mi my instrument panel will wear a tiny patch of gaffer's tape.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Thanks.

$US2000 at least for the Tekla DDA system. Also there is a clamp down on who can but it. Already looked into it coz my dealer is SH!T. Deceiving buggars

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$US2000 at least for the Tekla DDA system. Also there is a clamp down on who can but it. Already looked into it coz my dealer is SH!T. Deceiving buggars
So does any generic diagnostic system work? I have no idea.

I got the quote on the Ducati DDS, because I assumed that their branded kit was required for their particular bikes.

If Ducati service centers wanted, I'm guessing they could remotely clear the service light over the Internet with your laptop and a simple cable connected to the bike's ECU or diagnostic port like some automobile tuners do.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
didn't you post something where it was less than $100 one time?
What i posted was to get rid of the warnings for services.. The DDA has more functionality to change the ecu parameters. The Tekla can change a lot more. What our friend was referring to needs the Tekla unit.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
you mean service indicator? that's all he should need for the first oil change
I have not reached the service point yet to validate the software, here is the link. The programmer states you can change the service warnings.

Download page

You will need a V1.4 or V1.5 OBD reader. The chinese crap does not work since they are emulators and not the real macoy.
Also the DDA connector to OBD cable from lonelec.co.uk is needed.

Here is the forum for asking the programmer any related questions
JPDiag :: Log in

The ECU on the SS is the continental M3D RBA category, it's a pretty intelligent piece of kit and hard to jail break.

·
Registered
132 Posts
To tension the chain you are going to need a torx t60 socket, ducati spanner wrench, and a torque wrench. Check out my video on YouTube

·
Registered
36 Posts
To do the oil change you need the following:

- 5mm Allen Hex to remove the drain plug
- 14mm Allen Hex to remove the Mesh Filter 32mm plug
- 17mm Allen Hex to remove the Mesh Filter

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Sticky tape will permanently mark the plastic of the display. Just leave it It's hardly an issue, or it could end up an expensive piece of tape!

·
Registered
357 Posts
To tension the chain you are going to need a torx t60 socket, ducati spanner wrench, and a torque wrench. Check out my video on YouTube
You forget the 55 mm cartridge for the nut of back wheel and a key with spur for the eccentric of tension of the chain.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts