Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is looking for frame protection for their 950, R&G and now EvoTech do kits. EvoTech ones are out of stock, probably because they have only just been produced; supply and demand.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If anyone is looking for frame protection for their 950, R&G and now EvoTech do kits. EvoTech ones are out of stock, probably because they have only just been produced; supply and demand.

im interested in the RG ones, are they easy to take on and off?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Ajcjr I haven't got either myself - I was just posting to make people aware of them. If you follow the link I posted to the R&G website and go to the near the bottom of the page, it says fitting time is 30 minutes. The link to the fitting instructions in a tab called 'Documents' is not working as it says they are coming soon. The EvoTech ones are no cut too as far as I know.

Looking at the images, the R&G ones clamp onto the frame and the EvoTech ones use existing bolt holes/fixing points - probably have to replace an OEM bolt (that is already securing something to the bike) with the EvoTech ones.

The images of the R&G ones fitted to the bike show the crash bung close to the side fairing. Bearing in mind the side fairings have to slide back to disengage from their plastic lugs, it may be a case that the crash bung (but not the clamps on the frame) have to be removed to take off and refit the side fairings. Without the fitting instructions on their websire, its diffucult to know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
@Ajcjr I haven't got either myself - I was just posting to make people aware of them. If you follow the link I posted to the R&G website and go to the near the bottom of the page, it says fitting time is 30 minutes. The link to the fitting instructions in a tab called 'Documents' is not working as it says they are coming soon. The EvoTech ones are no cut too as far as I know.

Looking at the images, the R&G ones clamp onto the frame and the EvoTech ones use existing bolt holes/fixing points - probably have to replace an OEM bolt (that is already securing something to the bike) with the EvoTech ones.

The images of the R&G ones fitted to the bike show the crash bung close to the side fairing. Bearing in mind the side fairings have to slide back to disengage from their plastic lugs, it may be a case that the crash bung (but not the clamps on the frame) have to be removed to take off and refit the side fairings. Without the fitting instructions on their websire, its diffucult to know.
Thanks, i have been looking at them both and appreciate the info.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Supersport
43 Posts
I wanted to get some frame protection when I first got my SS, but now am leaning against them. Of course I probably just jinxed myself and will drop my bike now.
They are kind of expensive, but certainly cheaper than having to replace fairings. Guess I'm still undecided?!?!? Then again, the first scratch is always the worst one.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Originally, I took the passenger pegs and supports off my 939 SS. I later re-installed because someone wanted to ride pillion. Parking in a gravel lot one day, the kickstand sunk and she went down. I had to laugh as when was going down, there was no way to save it. The passenger peg hit first and saved the fairing.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Super helpful post. I still need to install them but they are still both out of stock 🥲
While researching this on the forum
I came across so many messages about how they save the bike in case of a fall that am so apprehensive now to go on my Oman Trip next week end. Will call evotech to see when they will restock (as am leaning toward the clamp free ones).

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Nomad80 Do not be apprehensive about your trip. People happily rode bikes long before frame protectors came along. If you were to do a poll on this Forum (or any bike Forum for that matter) you would find that only a very very small percentage of people have frame protectors fitted to their bikes.

If we were to worry about crashing our bikes, we would never ride them. Just enjoy the bike. If you ride worried about crashing, your reactions will be slower, you will be gripping the handlebars too tight, you will tire very quickly and you will be going around corners like a 50 pence piece (octogon shaped for the non Brits!) instead of a smooth arc. Try and put the apprehension out of your mind.

Go on your ride out .......... relax, ride and enjoy 😊

·
Registered
143 Posts
@Nomad80 Do not be apprehensive about your trip. People happily rode bikes long before frame protectors came along. If you were to do a poll on this Forum (or any bike Forum for that matter) you would find that only a very very small percentage of people have frame protectors fitted to their bikes.

If we were to worry about crashing our bikes, we would never ride them. Just enjoy the bike. If you ride worried about crashing, your reactions will be slower, you will be gripping the handlebars too tight, you will tire very quickly and you will be going around corners like a 50 pence piece (octogon shaped for the non Brits!) instead of a smooth arc. Try and put the apprehension out of your mind.

Virtual hug! Plus they say you don’t break dishes if you don’t wash them 😬 I will take up the advice and just enjoy. Will post pics

·
Registered
488 Posts
I got the Evotech frame sliders for my new 950S. I’ve only fitted the right side yet (because needed to leave early when assembling the kit), but it’s not a perfect fit. The horizontal arm is pushing against the inside of the fairing a bit, which doesn’t feel ideal. Could be that it’s because the 950 fairing has more inwards protrusions that the 939 does not, and the main parts of the mount brackets are unchanged?

btw, also got the Evotech tail tidy. Not super happy with it as it’s heavier than the stock license plate mount, it extends further back than I thought from the pictures plus it’s a lot of finicky parts to assemble. Each individual part is good quality though.

·
Registered
488 Posts

Me, I’m a complete klutz and have been known to drop my bikes when standing still. Frame sliders actually saved my previous SuperSport 939 (I had the R&G ones on that one) when i dropped it fully loaded on a graveled parking spot. That said, they do add a fair bit of weight, and the Evotech ones interfere ever so slightly with my knees.

I also think that if you actually crash on the street when riding , there’s a good chance they won’t help unless just sliding on flat asphalt.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the Evotech frame sliders for my new 950S. I’ve only fitted the right side yet (because needed to leave early when assembling the kit), but it’s not a perfect fit. The horizontal arm is pushing against the inside of the fairing a bit, which doesn’t feel ideal. Could be that it’s because the 950 fairing has more inwards protrusions that the 939 does not, and the main parts of the mount brackets are unchanged?

btw, also got the Evotech tail tidy. Not super happy with it as it’s heavier than the stock license plate mount, it extends further back than I thought from the pictures plus it’s a lot of finicky parts to assemble. Each individual part is good quality though.
Have you contacted EvoTech about it? IMO there shouldn't be any contact with the fairing. Bearing in mind that the Supersport fairings don't just lift clean off (loads of wiggling about and sliding them forward to disengage the lugs) can you remove the fairings with them fitted?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Have you contacted EvoTech about it? IMO there shouldn't be any contact with the fairing. Bearing in mind that the Supersport fairings don't just lift clean off (loads of wiggling about and sliding them forward to disengage the lugs) can you remove the fairings with them fitted?
I have not, but I also only fitted the frame slider on Wednesday. You have to partially remove the horizontal mounting arm/bracket to remove the fairing. I’ll look into it again though, and see if I missed something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts