Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Nope, got the 2 right though - Diablo 2s;

"Gina was in to get the exhaust valve sorted out under warranty and new tyres.
When I told them I wanted new tyres, I said a 190 rear...I expected them to put Diablo 3s back on, but they’re Diablo 2s. I don’t mind as my brother has them on his XR and likes them. It’s good to experiment.
It was also good getting back on her after the Scrambler courtesy bike...she feels like a precision weapon in comparison. Fantastic."
There's a big difference between the rosso III's and II's. They are less sporty and similar to the new angel II's. More a touring than a sports tyre. Well good luck with them bud.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I know we've talked about this before...several times...but I want to add that I really like the Rosso III's. I think they're an excellent tire. My plan is to replace my OEM with them again. However, my mileage is a little less than I wanted. I have maybe another 1,000 miles left. In fact, the SS is in the garage NOT BEING RIDDEN for that very reason. We have the Second Annual Meet in a couple weeks and I need to ensure I have proper tread left for it.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I know we've talked about this before...several times...but I want to add that I really like the Rosso III's. I think they're an excellent tire. My plan is to replace my OEM with them again. However, my mileage is a little less than I wanted. I have maybe another 1,000 miles left. In fact, the SS is in the garage NOT BEING RIDDEN for that very reason. We have the Second Annual Meet in a couple weeks and I need to ensure I have proper tread left for it.
I've seen your tyres, I think you should put the Corsa II'S on next round. Only a thought.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Concur regarding R III. Great tires. Have replaced the rear and new front is on order. Great grip, decent wear. 5k rear / 8k front

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I'll be just shy of 5k on the rear when mine are all used up, most likely.
I think I got 5K on mine but just to the wear bar. It would have gone longer but I was going on a weekend ride to the Ozarks and didn't want get to the cord @ 300 miles from home. I am heading towards 7500 miles on the bike and will keep going on local rides to the bitter end until the front is replaced.

I won't be able to do my planned trip to Labor Day Springfield Mile. But I might ride it or trailer it to a Guzzi rally in Ouray in early Sept. If I trailer, I can bring the V11 Sport too. It never hurts to have a Guzzi at a Guzzi Rally but it's not mandatory.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Recently I've been using my Multi more as the weather hasn't been great...and the 1200 is a bit addictive. But it's great to get back out on the SS.

Regarding the tyres, it's noticeable that they need more warming up; moving from upright takes more effort. But this tails off as they get some heat into them. Then they feel really secure. Lean angle is markedly more attainable...I've still got maybe 12mm of chicken strips left despite getting to angles I previously couldn't. I can only wonder what a 190 Corsa would be like.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Had some time for some light reading and wound up here!

Just curious - the '55' profile is a percentage of the tire width and not a measurement. Therefore, I presume the arse end sits a bit higher with a 190 and this should sharpen the bikes turning slightly, which should offset any slowness from the wider tire?

Presumably, the speedometer would be slightly out also? So... would a 190/50 be a similar profile to the 180/55?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Good question. I’m running 190/55s on 6 inch wheel for year. Don’t really notice any change in handling.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Had some time for some light reading and wound up here!

Just curious - the '55' profile is a percentage of the tire width and not a measurement. Therefore, I presume the arse end sits a bit higher with a 190 and this should sharpen the bikes turning slightly, which should offset any slowness from the wider tire?

Presumably, the speedometer would be slightly out also? So... would a 190/50 be a similar profile to the 180/55?
Ok I have the 190 on the OEM 5.5 rim ( changed to this on the earliest opportunity). Most of the time the 190 is fitted to a 6'' rim and the 55 being a % of the width in Hight giving you the ark / curve of the tyre determining the quickness of the dip in. To answer your question:
I presume the arse end sits a bit higher with a 190 and this should sharpen the bikes turning slightly, which should offset any slowness from the wider tire?
what you get with the 190 on a 5.5 rim is the same Hight as if on a 6" rim and virtually the same dip in (Curve) But it goes further giving you about an extra 10mm of contact point as you lean over meaning you get to have a greater lean angle while still having a contact patch. Also the contact patch is bigger at full lean as the side wall collapses and flattens more than it would on a 6" rim. All good stuff !!!. The down side is that the sidewall collapses more while at extreme lean :grin2:. I don't find this a problem as the Rosso Corsa 11 I use can handle it fine. I even contacted Pirelli way back who said that its fine and common practice in racing circles. Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Ok I have the 190 on the OEM 5.5 rim ( changed to this on the earliest opportunity). Most of the time the 190 is fitted to a 6'' rim and the 55 being a % of the width in Hight giving you the ark / curve of the tyre determining the quickness of the dip in. To answer your question: what you get with the 190 on a 5.5 rim is the same Hight as if on a 6" rim and virtually the same dip in (Curve) But it goes further giving you about an extra 10mm of contact point as you lean over meaning you get to have a greater lean angle while still having a contact patch. Also the contact patch is bigger at full lean as the side wall collapses and flattens more than it would on a 6" rim. All good stuff !!!. The down side is that the sidewall collapses more while at extreme lean :grin2:. I don't find this a problem as the Rosso Corsa 11 I use can handle it fine. I even contacted Pirelli way back who said that its fine and common practice in racing circles. Hope this helps
I have a hardly worn Rosso III 190, I'm going to stick on the 5.5" within the next 1000km's and see how it acts in these twisties. If it goes well then I'm putting on a 190 Rosso Corsa II.
Must tell you it was very nice to feel the edge of the Corsa II'S gripping around here last weekend. Man they give so much confidence on public roads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I confirm for the Corsa II. Really good tyres. So good that I used 2 pairs on last summer. The dtc based on 2, I saw it really few times active while riding very fast. For the same conditions with the rosso III it never stopped to light on and I needed to move the dtc at 4/5. I changed for the angel gt during the winter but as soon as temperature will be higher, I'll put them back.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts