Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
The right spring rates are critical. Much bigger effect than spinning the damper clickers.

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
136 Posts
My only draw back of getting new springs right know is I want to be 15 pounds lighter for next season. I didn't know you could have the sides different, that could be where I'll need to research a little more. My Ohlins guy is David at FastBike Industries.
https://www.fastbikeindustries.com/about-1.html

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
My only draw back of getting new springs right know is I want to be 15 pounds lighter for next season. I didn't know you could have the sides different, that could be where I'll need to research a little more. My Ohlins guy is David at FastBike Industries.
15lbs should not take you from one size to another, and I would suggest as someone who’s sprung several bikes when dealing with Ohlins springs, err on the lighter side. So if you’re between a 9.0 and 9.5, go 9.0 unless all you do is ride on glass smooth tracks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Don’t overthink it, 0.05 is a very small difference. At your weight either 0.90s or 0.95. The 0.90s if you’re mostly doing normal street riding, the 0.95s if aggressive street riding and/ or track days. But you’ll be fine either way.

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
136 Posts
Bike will be used only on the track. I bought it to replace my R1100S. I wanted a bike in the 100-110 hp range with the updated electronics. My other considerations where the RS660 and the R7. After riding them on the track the Ducati was my choice.
Helmet Wheel Tire Sports gear Motorcycle helmet

Reactions: LowRyter

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think we don't need the Dave, just to set sag and find out if we need to change our spring rates. If you are bottoming on max preload, you needs stiffer springs, that's basic reasoning. Still let us know what Dave says.

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
136 Posts
Got the opportunity to work with Dave at Laguna Seca Tuesday and Wednesday. I was very close with my previous settings from Sonoma the week before. I told Dave what the bike was like at Sonoma and what I had done there with the suspension.
Dave first checked the Sag which we already knew wasn't going to be right in the front (50mm) with the current fork springs (8.0). The rear was spot on and he really like how the tire wear looked. The front he rechecked the pre-load and yes I had it fully turned to 15 so no more adjustment available. He looked at my zip tie which showed bottoming out and said new springs were necessary. At that point he adjusted my front comp. to 7 clicks out, I had it at 6. Try that a session or two and come back for him to analyze tire wear.
After the second session he looked everything over and said I needed to put in 9.5 fork springs with 7.5 oil in the damp side and 5.0 oil in the comp. side. He also concluded I used the brakes very aggressively and tuned the compression to 5 clicks only to try to get the 8.0 springs to not bottom out. The rear he adjusted the Damp. one click but said it looked really good.
So I've got the 9.5 Ohlins springs from Kelly Race in Monterey, We went there on the lunch break Wednesday. Ordered some Motul fork oil 5 and 7.5 and will be changing the springs next week for ThunderHill.
Wheel Helmet Tire Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Helmet Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
136 Posts
5.0 is the standard weight fork oil in Ohlins forks.
The 9.5 springs because I'm very strong/aggressive on the brakes.
A forgot the reason why he told me to use the 7.5 wt. on the Damping side but I think just to slow it down a little on hard acceleration.
he did tell me to never use two different rated fork springs to get half sizes. Don't use a 9.0 and a 10 to get 9.5. I didn't know Ohlins had half sizes but they do and Dave told me where to get them which I did (Kelly Racing).

·
Registered
40 Posts
We in our SSS have FGRT forks right and for that ohlins recommends 01309-01 R&T fork oil which has an SAE of 7.5W.

I guess a thicker/thinner oil would shift down/up the range of velocities of reb/comp available for our adjustment(Maybe because of stiffer springs, he is using thinner oil!?)

Sadly ohlins oil is not readily available in my country so my dealership uses 7.5W Motul. Thats why i know. Still, correct me if i am wrong somewhere.

Using two spring rates in our fork (with separate comp and reb) is just too complicated i think.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We in our SSS have FGRT forks right and for that ohlins recommends 01309-01 R&T fork oil which has an SAE of 7.5W.

I guess a thicker/thinner oil would shift down/up the range of velocities of reb/comp available for our adjustment(Maybe because of stiffer springs, he is using thinner oil!?)

Sadly ohlins oil is not readily available in my country so my dealership uses 7.5W Motul. Thats why i know. Still, correct me if i am wrong somewhere.

Using two spring rates in our fork (with separate comp and reb) is just too complicated i think.

·
Registered
352 Posts
...I guess a thicker/thinner oil would shift down/up the range of velocities of reb/comp available for our adjustment(Maybe because of stiffer springs, he is using thinner oil!?)

...Using two spring rates in our fork (with separate comp and reb) is just too complicated i think.
...I didn't know Ohlins had half sizes but they do and Dave told me where to get them which I did (Kelly Racing).
If you start off with a balanced system, when you go up in spring rate you'll need slightly more rebound damping and slightly less compression damping (both high speed and low speed).

Nothing complicated about two spring rates, as long as they're fairly close it's just the average. Nothing wrong with doing that, again, as long as you're fairly close.

All good spring makers offer rates in 0.05 increments.

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
136 Posts
Ohlin only has one wt. fork oil they use. The Ohlins dealer says he was told they don't say what that wt. is however it has a 5 on the container. Dave Moss says it's 5 wt. and want my damping side to have the heavier wt. So I'm going by what Dave wants so he'll know what I have for tuning the suspension. I have a bottle of the Ohlins oil I bought with the springs but I'm going to go with the Motuls.
Liquid Fluid Camera accessory Cameras & optics Drink

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Ohlin only has one wt. fork oil they use. The Ohlins dealer says he was told they don't say what that wt. is however it has a 5 on the container. Dave Moss says it's 5 wt. and want my damping side to have the heavier wt. So I'm going by what Dave wants so he'll know what I have for tuning the suspension. I have a bottle of the Ohlins oil I bought with the springs but I'm going to go with the Motuls. View attachment 47086
I went through this with the forks kit I did with my CBR1000RR and (at least at the time) Ohlins has a “fork oil” which is their proprietary blend that I think is actually heavier than 5wt (I swear they said unofficially like a 6 or 7 weight) but also should still sell straight weight oils in 5, 7.5 and 10. I know I have a bottle of their 5 in the garage as well as their “fork oil” stuff, and they are different.

Motul is just fine too, I wouldn’t overthink it and just go Motul.

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
136 Posts
Yeah, I'm not going to overthink it. However working with Dave, he is a little intimidating. I don't want to show up next time and tell him I didn't set up things the way he told me, he would take it as an insult. Probably tell me to redo it right.
The Ohlins distributor where I bought the Ohlins Fork Springs at said this oil (above) was the only fork oil Ohlin uses in these particular style forks and doesn't recommend any other type or wt's. Clearly I fell for the old our brand oil can only be used with our product. I told Dave what the distributor said and he was pissed at someone would do that.
Water under the bridge now but if anyone needs a bottle of Ohlins oil I have one.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Yeah, I'm not going to overthink it. However working with Dave, he is a little intimidating. I don't want to show up next time and tell him I didn't set up things the way he told me, he would take it as an insult. Probably tell me to redo it right.
The Ohlins distributor where I bought the Ohlins Fork Springs at said this oil (above) was the only fork oil Ohlin uses in these particular style forks and doesn't recommend any other type or wt's. Clearly I fell for the old our brand oil can only be used with our product. I told Dave what the distributor said and he was pissed at someone would do that.
Water under the bridge now but if anyone needs a bottle of Ohlins oil I have one.
Whenever I want Ohlins info I usually just call Ohlins USA headquarters in North Carolina and talk to their tech support. I used to deal with Jerry (I think that was his name) but he may not be there anymore. They are, or at least were, much more honest and upfront than most of their distributors are; on my 1000RR I ended up in an argument between 2 race shops, both saying the other messed up my forks and Ohlins USA straightened it out. And you can buy direct from them as well, they used to get shipments from Sweden 2x a week. The forks on our bike are not the typical Ohlins forks, and are sort of a mashup the Ohlins street fork and a Ducati design. It’s close, but I think early on they were disassembled and found to be slightly different internally.

I get what you’re saying about Dave. I like his style, and he promotes good things but does come across a little aggressive and I could see feeling like you disappointed him by not listening :)

·
Administrator
10,398 Posts
I received one of the first SuperSports in the USA, and the first from my local dealer. And I was also one of first S versions to experience some damage to the rear shock bump stop before the solution of a heat shield was even thought of.

Little was known at the time that a heat shield was needed, and the thinking was that it did not affect Ohlins equipped bikes. I worked directly with Ducati on this issue and that resulted in an agreement to enable my dealer to remove the shock from the bike and have it repaired by Ohlins. After the dealer removed the shock, I personally drove the shock to Ohlins USA headquarters in NC for repairs.

Jerry and the guys there were very helpful including the shop manager. In fact, the shop manager looked at my shock and indicated that there was not only bump stop damage, but spring damage and the spring needed to be replaced, too.

And I said, well, to be honest, I’m not sure Ducati agreed to cover that because it wasn’t identified as a problem not being visible when on the bike. And he basically gave me a sign not to worry about it, and indicated the spring would also be changed.

To this day I don’t know who covered the cost of spring: Ohlins? Ducati? Dealer? But Ohlins was the one who immediately took action to fix it, even though it was not part of the original plan.

Btw, it took the technician maybe 10 minutes to replace the bump stop and spring, right in front of me in the shop as I watched.

After the work was done, Jerry, as I recall, took me for a complete tour of the place, including the Race section, and even the warehouse that supplies North America including Mexico. I was quite impressed with the operation.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Suspension and chassis setup is a system. There's more than one right way, but you have to pick A way.
When someone is doing it for you or giving you advice, do ALL of it. Don't piecemeal it, or do half of tuner A and half of tuner B. Otherwise you're wasting your time and theirs.

And yeah, it's frustrating when someone comes back and says they did X% of what you told them, maybe mixed in with Y% of what they thought and Z% of what someone else told them. And then they ask what to do next, or how solve whatever issue they have. So you have to stop and take a deep breath, because what you want to say is "Do what the [email protected]#$ I told you to do!!!"
;)

41 - 60 of 60 Posts