Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clear plastic that the front indicator flashes through (lens?) on the RHS has come loose. It's not falling out, but it's rattling around. The LHS is firmly in place.

I have no idea when it started, but most likely over the last 2 days where I did a 1000km road trip with several kilometers of dirt/gravel sections (unexpected), so some extra shaking around for the bike.

Has anyone had this happen, and if so, how should I go about fixing it?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I dont think that the lens comes off to change anything inside the mirror/indicator as the indicators are LED - others may be able to advise better. If this is so, then it may a case of running some Gorilla Glue (other adhesives are available!) along the edge to hold it in place.
Thats said, I doubt even Ducati would say the whole mirror has to be changed if you break the lens, so I would wait for others on the board who have experience of this to chime in.

Reactions: Ed K and Boe

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Did you resolve the issue Boe?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Did you resolve the issue Boe?
Only just yesterday. I took the lens out to see what might have broken, found that a tiny tab on the inside end (closer to the bike) that was originally glued to the housing had broke free. See left hand end of the clear plastic part of the indicator here:
Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle door Auto part Electric blue

But in taking the lens out, one of the two weak plastic 'claws' that hold the outside end of the lens in snapped off. So I had to glue the whole thing back in. Very weak plastic! I was super gentle with it too. See bottom left of indicator:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grey Automotive exterior Outdoor shoe

But while I had one side apart, I decided to do the vibration fix with the round rubber strips discussed here on both sides. I could only find 15mm rubber (supposed to use 13mm but all sold out) which was just a bit too big and the mirrors didn't have enough space left to adjust to the right position for my viewing preference.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle

But at the same time, I noticed some of the little plastic 'claws' on the back of the mirrors were also stressed and not holding onto the mirror mounting plate inside the housing. So I have glued them back on too. The mounting plate I am talking about is in the centre of the above photo.

This was the best I could do with the cheap flimsy plastic holding the mirror assembly together. Little wonder these mirrors are not servicable and we have to replace with the whole assembly - they are just not designed to be taken apart and put back to together.

So far, after a test ride, it's holding together okay. But the vibes are the same as they were before, since I had to fit the flatter rubber stripping I used last time:
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Motor vehicle

Reactions: LowRyter

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Fix one problem, find another :sneaky:
Keep us posted on the mirror fix though (y)

Reactions: Boe

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, can you describe how you got it out? Mine is shaking and I'd rather glue it in on its backside than sticking something slim but firm between the lens and its housing...
It was a while ago but I think it was a case if gently prying it out with an auto plastics removal tool. Some of the clips broke, just cheap plastic. I cannot wait to replace them wuth the Rizoma veloce mirrors one day.

Reactions: marius_

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks! I finally decided to use superglue and filler granulate between the lens and the housing instead of trying to get it out. It stopped rattling; we'll see how long it holds (test drive 1hr yesterday - all ok).

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's not pretty, I'll make it nice one day :)

So I tried to glue the lens to the housing, which seems to only work if the lens is primed (didn't have a primer available). So I used filler granulate, which doesn't really stick to the lens but fills the gap so that the lens can't move as much. When accelerating I don't hear it rattle anymore, for now.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Tire Hood

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You might end up feeling the way I do, and saving up for the Rizoma Veloce mirrors with the indicators integrated!!! I just makes you feel a bit icky when parts of such a beautiful bike have to be tacked together.

Reactions: Invincible

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking of doing what @Zee did recently, in this post. I haven't tried sourcing the mirrors or adapters, from here in Australia, yet though. I don't know why the 939 mirrors/indicators would be different to the 950... 🤔 I am sure some guys have already tried swapping the latest edition of the OEM mirrors that are on the 950 to see if they vibrate less than the originals on our 939s, so I imagine aftermarket should be the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts