Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend took a ride to meet a friend for lunch, after lunch when leaving the parking lot the bike stalled when I let off the throttle, restarted then stalled again. Seemed to run fine to her house. She put her bike away then hopped on mine to go put mine away (25 miles) and get my truck. While on the freeway I noticed that my low fuel indicator was on and the fuel gauge was showing empty. Tank was full minus 45 miles of riding so I knew I had plenty of fuel. It would intermittently go back to full then back to empty.
Has anyone else experienced this issue? I think I’m out of warranty now but I’m not sure. Going to drop it off at the dealer next week to throw it on the lot on consignment so I don’t need this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Yeah, this has happened a few times. Most likely a fuel sensor issue. They dealer can remedy this.

But, you're selling it already? Out of curiosity, why are you letting her go? What's your plans for replacememt?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fuel sensor is bad or going bad. This is a common problem with all motorcycles, and every few years these sensors have to be replaced. I know a BMW mechanic who says this happens as often if not more often on BMW’s than an Ducati, but it’s probably the same. The fault is with the blended gas we all have to use, the ethanol slowly rots the sensor. This isn’t a common issue in cars because cars don’t sit with old fuel for long periods of time like motorcycles do, especially in states with winter climates. My Supersport fuel sensor is just fine after 2 years, but my 2015 Multistrada sensor just went out a few months ago. Shows empty no matter what. Glad I took aftermarket warranty when I bought it (used).

Reactions: Rasher

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But, you're selling it already? Out of curiosity, why are you letting her go? What's your plans for replacememt?
Yes I’ve had it for almost a year, and I have done everything I could to make my tall frame try to fit the bike and it is just not working, I just can’t get comfortable. I love the look of this bike, I love riding this bike, that is short distances! My plan when I bought the bike was to do some distance riding and I was sold on the “sport touring”. My son moved to Colorado and I would love to ride to Colorado to go visit him but there’s no way I could spend that amount of hours on this bike.
I pick up a 2014 Multistrada next week :))
I pulled everything off of the bike that I installed, so I will be putting everything in the for sale section at very good prices so I can get rid of it all.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
502 Posts
Sorry to see you go but fully understand, no bike fits everyone...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just found out some good news, stopped by the dealer to pick up a part that I had ordered and I knew my bike still had some warranty left but I didn’t know when it expired and the good news is that it expires in the middle of July. So anything that is a problem right now will be covered under warranty. Plus he told me some other good news (his words) is that it has three recalls, mirrors, shift lever, and one other which I can’t remember and has all the parts in stock to do all that work when I drop it off.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine (a 2017) just went out after sitting for 6 months. Sucks. Will check with dealer about the cost to fix. I still love the bike though.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
42 Posts
My gauge hasn't "gone out" but I've only done 500km's on the bike at this point...it's been very slow getting through the break-in period right now! The fuel gauge was showing full at the start of my first ride, and it lowered accordingly as I was riding...then I noticed on my 2nd ride when I filled up the bike the gauge was still stuck on 3/4 and hasn't moved since. The DTE seems to stay steady as well, it obviously thinks the gas tank isn't full, but there is some minor fluctuation up and down as I'm riding.

I'll have it looked at during the first service, but a bit annoying to have something so early on. The dash on my '08 Hypermotard 1100S took a crap right after the warranty period was done...thankfully Ducati agreed to replace the dash unit without too much of a debate.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My gauge hasn't "gone out" but I've only done 500km's on the bike at this point...it's been very slow getting through the break-in period right now! The fuel gauge was showing full at the start of my first ride, and it lowered accordingly as I was riding...then I noticed on my 2nd ride when I filled up the bike the gauge was still stuck on 3/4 and hasn't moved since. The DTE seems to stay steady as well, it obviously thinks the gas tank isn't full, but there is some minor fluctuation up and down as I'm riding.

I'll have it looked at during the first service, but a bit annoying to have something so early on. The dash on my '08 Hypermotard 1100S took a crap right after the warranty period was done...thankfully Ducati agreed to replace the dash unit without too much of a debate.
Without going through every post on here I do not believe Ducati has refused to replace any even if they were out of warranty so I think you should be good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, after making my post the other day I've since gone for a longer ride and went through a full tank before re-filling. It must have done something because the gauge started to respond again and showed a full tank. The DTE calculator also did a reset and seemed to be working again for the next 50km until home.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
It does that sometimes... kinda off and on again. Mine did that before it completely failed. Hope that’s not the case for yours, and it continues to work properly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got my fuel level sensor replaced under warranty. Unit died during the last winterization. I plan on using non-ethanol gas or racing fuel (does not contain ethanol) for winterization as I was told that the ethanol is what is damaging the sensor.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not sure about the ethanol because I always use 98 octane with less than 5% or shell v power 100 whithout ethanol inside and I equally had to change it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not 100% either, but that's what the dealership told me and I have read a couple of other posts stating the same thing. Gonna give it a try since I cant find a local gas station that sells ethanol free fuel.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ducati just replaced my fuel sensor, I’m about 9 months out of warranty. Happy they stepped up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This just happened on my bike last week. I was low on fuel but knew I could ride at least 20 miles before filling up. When I set off, the range was showing about 40 miles, then suddenly went blank with the fuel light flashing. Filled up a few miles down the road and it reset properly. Then later after an hour long stop it started doing it again. Rode about 100 miles today and it was fine all day. I'll keep an eye on it and ask the dealer when I take it in to get a spare key programmed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts