Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed inconsistency in how the fuel readout updates? It shows full, then just a couple miles later its dropped 2 bars.

·
Super Moderator
7,825 Posts
I thought I noticed something the other day, when filling up, it did not show full.

But then when I filled the next time it did show full, and thought, hmm, maybe I didn't fill it all the way.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I have noticed mine rapidly drops two bars from 4/5's to half full after only 30miles and remains unchanged for 70miles.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have noticed mine rapidly drops two bars from 4/5's to half full after only 30miles and remains unchanged for 70miles.
Thank you for confirming that. Exactly whats happens with me. However lately, im showing full tank even show i have been riding for 20miles or so. Id fill it up past the regular cutoff though. lets see what happens in a few more miles

·
Registered
886 Posts
I can confirm similar behavior. I wonder if it's actually a fuel level sensor, or just an analog idiot light that comes on at exactly 3.0 gallons (1.6 gallon "reserve") and the ECU is estimating the level based on the consumption average.

·
Super Moderator
7,825 Posts
Also, mileage left in tank seems off. When full it indicated something like 160 miles, if I'm remembering correctly. But I guess better to be conservative. Maybe it means miles until Reserve, then Reserve is another 40-50.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, mileage left in tank seems off. When full it indicated something like 160 miles, if I'm remembering correctly. But I guess better to be conservative. Maybe it means miles until Reserve, then Reserve is another 40-50.
If reserve is when the low fuel warning comes on then no, 160 is total, full to empty

·
Super Moderator
7,825 Posts
Maybe 160 is about right, since I've riding somewhat aggressive, in back hilly roads.

·
Registered
886 Posts
That's only about 40 mpg. I was hoping for better mileage...like high 40's to low 50's.
I've yet to break past 38.

Still better than my 900SS with FCR's that only gets 32. It's so much more rewarding to ride that bike hard though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
With 450 miles on the bike I got 51 mpg for 265 miles and that's riding at a nice clip from 40 to 105 mph. She might less once past that 600 miles, I can see getting around 45 in the future. Not sure why people are only getting 35-40 mpg and I'm riding between 5,000-8,000 ft above sea level here in New mexico.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
It's not necessarily a fault, it's merely the calibration of the transducer. I have found my fuel warning light to be consistent regardless of the remaining range shown. Out of habit I always fill up the bike when going out for a ride, I suppose it could be an issue for the everyday commuter.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
This is why the gas mileage numbers are important to me. I was hoping for about 190 miles per tank...as a commuter. Even out having fun, I was hoping for 38-40 as a minimum. I use the fuelly app to track mileage. My Hyper gets an average of 48.8 and the Ninja 1000 is averaging 42.6, just as reference numbers.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
The fuel gauge has been inconsistent for me as well. This is very true after startup....Last weekend I had a good ride on Saturday morning after filling up. I looked at the range right before I called it a night and it said that I had 60mi left. Next morning I get going and it still reads 60. As i am cruising past several gas stations on my way to a remote part of NJ , it suddenly drops to 15. Keep in mind that I am still in break in mode, so I am not really getting on the throttle too hard.
I wonder if the sensor just isnt that accurate.....we are so used to having that accuracy in our cars, perhaps the technology in the bike just isnt that mature yet?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
IDK. My 2011 Ninja 1000 is dead on. (shrug)
Yes, I am sure it is. This is my first bike with an led gauge. Previous bike (Honda) was close too. When that light came on I knew I had 35 miles left, lol.

Its not an exact science at the pump either. I tend to not completely fill it up for fear of overfilling it.

It all adds to the charm of the Ducati.....

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
The range is an ongoing computation based on the throttle position. To me it seems it is not calculating the range on the tank average, which is not a bad thing because as I throttle off to a socially acceptable speed the range increases. That helps me judge my speed to get home.

·
Registered
326 Posts
guys, just to remind you that half of ducati line up does not have a fuel gauge ;-)

I just spent 2 years on a monster, and i would open the trap and shake the bike to hear how much fuel was left ^^

1 - 20 of 42 Posts