Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

221 - 240 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Update : I’m sat in my Ducati store waiting for my S to have the fuel sensor replaced under an agreed extended warranty goodwill gesture by head office in Bologna Italy, all i have to do is pay for the labour charge so that’s fair enough as the Bike is 3 years old next month.

·
Registered
434 Posts
@ Chuck-Duc Lots of shiny red bikes :p

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well just to clarify I am complaining about build quality and issues not the bike itself. Love it for what it's intended just pissed at all the issues. Maybe I got the Monday hangover bike but I have never had a bike with this many issues and several of them i.e. torn gaskets were just somebody saying f-$k it and putting them in the bike.

As to what Ducati Canada will do let's hope they man up but again my past experience says they will try to weasel.
By way of comparison Aprilia replaced a motor with one call no issues. Had to deal with Ducati for about six months before they agreed yes the forks really have no compression adjustment and yes we will pay to have somebody rebuild then so that they do. That was $12k by Aprilia vs $500 by Ducati.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Finally had fuel level gauge replaced under warranty, by dealer, yesterday. Part number listed is 59210251B. Seems to work as it should, for now. Bike goes out of warranty in September. Took a little less than 2 hours. Gave me time to check out new V2. Beautiful bike. But bars a little too low for me to use as a tourer. Also, not sure I could attach a tail pack, as I can on SS.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
O, good you reminded me. Looks like I have to come back to my dealer because after the sensor change my fuel consumption is all the time 6.0 l... which is rather not possible. The bars work properly but the average is I guess faulty 👀 I will let you know and please just check yours how it goes over weeks.

·
Super Moderator
6,253 Posts
@Grossi.BP Very glad to hear its working fine again!

Sometimes with mine too it doesn’t read properly, when topping off the tank with one bar or less of consumed fuel. But it does reset properly after using several bars of fuel and refilling.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Honestly I never look at the mpg info. Just reset Trip 1 on fill up and use gas gauge (as long as it’s working!) 😁

Reactions: Ed K

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Second fuel sender tripped the fault signal yesterday right after fueling up from a half tank.

If it doesn't re-set itself, the new one will be the third on this bike.

Definitely not under warranty this time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Second fuel sender tripped the fault signal yesterday right after fueling up from a half tank.

If it doesn't re-set itself, the new one will be the third on this bike.

Definitely not under warranty this time.
IMHO regardless of whether its under warranty or not, having 3 different units go on the same bike is a joke and Ducati should replace it again.
Process of elimination:
1. There is either a faulty batch for all 3 to go - unlikly (but not impossible) as other peoples would have gone too.
2. There is a problem with whatever the fuel sender is connected to on the bike.
3. Faulty electrics or connection somewhere.

How old is the bike and when were they changed?

·
Super Moderator
6,253 Posts
@NothingClever Bummer, was hoping the “B” version was better than the “A” version. Assuming you have the “B” version...

Even though its not under warranty, and it's getting kinda long from 2017, hopefully Ducati may cover the replacement part value, if not the labor.

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Yeah, interesting turn of events.

In July 2019, I brought the bike in four months inside the warranty period when I first had the problem.

The part was not available but the SM assured me he had captured the repair authorization and that I could return to work overseas that month with peace of mind.

In July 2019 I returned to work overseas.

In December 2019 I returned to the US and there was still no fuel sender. Me thinks they forgot to order it. I wait around all of December 2019 without any resolution for the ETA on the repair part.

In January 2020, I have to go back to work overseas. I asked the dealer how they want to proceed. They ask me to leave the bike with the dealer to ensure it's available at first opportunity. So I do.

In March 2020, I returned and picked up the bike, riding and fueling it consistently with 93% octane and low ethanol.

In July 2020 (four months later and the current month), the new fuel sender becomes faulty.

SM tells me over the phone the last repair in March was a Ducati goodwill repair and that there is no warranty on the four month old fuel sender.

Not really rankled over the estimated bill ($370) but rather over the re-characterization of the repair order from warranty to goodwill without any explanation of why it was re-characterized.

Sent a polite note. Has to be some amicable middle ground in there somewhere.

I know you all are on the very edge of your seats, waiting breathlessly for the next chapter in this suspenseful drama to unfold. I reckon my repair experience will totally eclipse the race in Jerez this weekend and you guys won't even have to buy a ticket.

·
Registered
753 Posts
How much is part? I reckon ought to be easy install (one would think).

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
There must be a warranty on a dealer fitted part.
One would assume, right?

Apparently BMW's parts warranty is 24 months which stands in stark contrast to Ducati's parts warranty when the part is installed under a Goodwill repair.

Below is what the dealer sent me based on their research.

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Yeah, I found it particularly interesting that BMW warrants their Goodwill repair parts for 24 months while Ducati has set the bar at zero months for the same.

Seems like a lack of awareness on the part of Ducati and I'm surprised Audi (VW) didn't catch and adjust this during their otherwise productive makeover of Ducati's manufacturing and business practices.

221 - 240 of 268 Posts