Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

261 - 268 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
My warranty runs out next month. Not to hijack, but of those that have had the fuel gauge issue, have you purchased extended warranty? As of now, I’m planning to let it lapse.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My warranty runs out next month. Not to hijack, but of those that have had the fuel gauge issue, have you purchased extended warranty? As of now, I’m planning to let it lapse.
I bought an EverRed policy last year for $500 from Mountain Motorsports in Roswell GA. I believe it was for 5 yrs (starting after my factory warrantee), unlimited miles w/ $100 deductible, direct bill to the insurance company. There are listed exclusions, such as mirrors, that it won't cover. My main concern was for major system (engine/drivetrain/ECU) failures. I can send you the policy if you like, it's backed by the same company that sells VW/Audi extended policies, and they have an office in Atlanta who I called just to ensure they were legit. Btw, Ducati covered my fuel gauge failure even though my bike's factory warrantee had expired about 8 months prior. They now are replacing one of my recall mirrors that broke the other week. I believe Ducati has a 2 year warrantee on replacement parts. So far I've had only a few issues with my bike and Ducati has dealt with it each time, I'm pretty happy overall with reliability and service (knock on wood!). FWIW, I service my bike at Wooley's in Marietta, they have a master mechanic who works on my bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just fwi ducati covered the part on my bike. You would just have to pay to install and it was 100 bucks at my dealer. You may be able to get the dealer to cover labor too. My bike is out of warranty.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just recently - last month had my annual service update and they noted there is an update on the display. Not sure if this has any relation to my fuel gauge issues. What happened to me was that the other day my check engine light came on. Bike still ran normal. Next day I started bike up was going to take it to the dealer and the light was off. I decided to go for a quick 20min ride to make sure all was ok. Decided to top off fuel tank. Only put in 4-5 litres. Always use top level 91gas here. Then I noticed my fuel level is one bar short of full. Yet my gas level in tank was up to the filler neck. Then my range started jumping all over . From 170 km to 140 and my mileage reading was fluctuating. I wonder if this is a sign of the bad fuels sensor? When I had the bike in for service they told me they cleared some minor codes. Could of been fuel related.
So I'm going to try what was suggested . Go for a long ride use up the gas to about 1/4 tank say 200 kms worth. Then fill up and see if it corrects itself.
For those that have experience with this. Is there any risk of riding with this issue.? E.g.will the bike eventually shut down on its own? Or this just more of an inconvience? I always use my trip meter 1reset when I fil up so I generally know when it's time to fill up anyway. I will be bringing the bike to the dealer but most likely not until next Spring. Our season here is ending and I'm not sure if the dealerwould get the part in time anyway.
Any advice appreciated . Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just recently - last month had my annual service update and they noted there is an update on the display. Not sure if this has any relation to my fuel gauge issues. What happened to me was that the other day my check engine light came on. Bike still ran normal. Next day I started bike up was going to take it to the dealer and the light was off. I decided to go for a quick 20min ride to make sure all was ok. Decided to top off fuel tank. Only put in 4-5 litres. Always use top level 91gas here. Then I noticed my fuel level is one bar short of full. Yet my gas level in tank was up to the filler neck. Then my range started jumping all over . From 170 km to 140 and my mileage reading was fluctuating. I wonder if this is a sign of the bad fuels sensor? When I had the bike in for service they told me they cleared some minor codes. Could of been fuel related.
So I'm going to try what was suggested . Go for a long ride use up the gas to about 1/4 tank say 200 kms worth. Then fill up and see if it corrects itself.
For those that have experience with this. Is there any risk of riding with this issue.? E.g.will the bike eventually shut down on its own? Or this just more of an inconvience? I always use my trip meter 1reset when I fil up so I generally know when it's time to fill up anyway. I will be bringing the bike to the dealer but most likely not until next Spring. Our season here is ending and I'm not sure if the dealerwould get the part in time anyway.
Any advice appreciated . Thanks
It's just the sender unit. The dealer said that sometimes it goes wacky like yours did and corrects itself. If it starts flashing empty when full all the time then the unit is shot and has to be replaced. It will have no affect on being able to ride it. Just make sure you don't run out of gas.

·
Super Moderator
6,251 Posts
No worries, no risk of the bike shutting down because of fuel gauge...

“Decided to top off fuel tank. Only put in 4-5 litres. Always use top level 91gas here. Then I noticed my fuel level is one bar short of full.

This has happened to me several times, and my experience has been that particular issue is unrelated to the unit failing...it just gets confused sometimes when topping off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just a followup. I tried the method of waiting until I had approx 1/4 tank level. Then filled up . Gas gauge only moved one bar up to just approx. 1/2 tank while tank is actually full. So so far this hasn't cleared up on its own. The range remaining also shows as if I only have half a tank of gas. Bike is put away for winter now. Will try a few more tank empty and fillups n3xt season to see if it clears itself.
Anyone else experience this out of warranty and did Ducati help pay for the repair knowing it's a common problem?
What's weird as that as I was riding and using fuel up. The gauge started to read the lower levels accurately and the range remaining started to correct itself. The fuel remaining prior to fill up was accurate. Just doesn't reset or increase when filling up.

261 - 268 of 268 Posts