Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has been having gas leak out the gas cap when it's filled up. Mine comes up through real bad and sprays up in my face and gets all over the tank and even on my display.

My service centre said it sounds like the seal is gone and will order a new one.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else has been having gas leak out the gas cap when it's filled up. Mine comes up through real bad and sprays up in my face and gets all over the tank and even on my display.

My service centre said it sounds like the seal is gone and will order a new one.
Check the lines coming out the front of the tank to make sure they aren't kinked. One of those is the overflow, it runs to the bottom of the left fairing, if it's kinked then it would likely cause an issue like you're having. I had gas come out my tank once on my last trip. I think it was a combination of overfilling and my overflow line was partially kinked. I discovered it when installing my Sprint air filter.

·
Registered
477 Posts

This happened to me as well. It didn’t splash into my face but there were some spillage is on tank in front of the gas cap. Initially I only noticed it as it smelled of petrol fumes. Did you get this resolved?

Also, how much is enough when it comes to filling the tank? If I remember correctly, I filled up til just slightly above the bottom of the filler neck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This happened to me once. I fueled up and when I next used the brake, the dive made some gas flow out of the cap toward the key. Looking at it I realized I hadn't closed the gas cap all the way. It can be a little misleading, so I just make sure to push down hard on the fuel cap to make sure I feel it click shut.

·
Registered
477 Posts
This happened to me once. I fueled up and when I next used the brake, the dive made some gas flow out of the cap toward the key. Looking at it I realized I hadn't closed the gas cap all the way. It can be a little misleading, so I just make sure to push down hard on the fuel cap to make sure I feel it click shut.
Thanks, good tip. That may well be it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Are you potentially overfilling it? I've not had this problem...on any bike ever.
Possibly. I think i filled up just slightly into the filler neck, but I’ve only done this once and not certain I’ll need to fill up again on this side of Christmas but will report back next time I’ll have to fuel up. It may very well be that I didn’t close the caps properly, but I kind assumed it either closes or it doesn’t.

·
Administrator
8,280 Posts
Possibly. I think i filled up just slightly into the filler neck, but I’ve only done this once and not certain I’ll need to fill up again on this side of Christmas but will report back next time I’ll have to fuel up. It may very well be that I didn’t close the caps properly, but I kind assumed it either closes or it doesn’t.
The cap will partially hook and close, and might appear to be fully closed when not.

I gently push for the “snap” when closing, then give it one more gentle push for good measure to make sure everything is aligned/sealed properly.

Occasionally, I’ll need to turn the key in the cap, to seat things properly in the beginning before securely closing it.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Occasionally, I’ll need to turn the key in the cap, to seat things properly in the beginning before securely closing it.
Yup, me too. I have actually used a little shot of the chain lube (DuPont Dry Lube) on the mechanism to help with movement. That really helped. I also used a quick shot in the cylinder of both of the other key locks.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The cap will partially hook and close, and might appear to be fully closed when not.

I gently push for the “snap” when closing, then give it one more gentle push for good measure to make sure everything is aligned/sealed properly.

Yup, me too. I have actually used a little shot of the chain lube (DuPont Dry Lube) on the mechanism to help with movement. That really helped. I also used a quick shot in the cylinder of both of the other key locks.
Ok, this is good to know. It’s very likely it wasn’t closed properly as i first noticed it by smelling petrol fumes.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I did have an occasion where I had just filled up (possibly too full ) and rode a short 300m to my camp site when I parked the bike on its side stand my mate shouted that my bike was on fire [email protected][email protected] I noticed the fuel was cascading down the side of the bike and running onto the very hot exhaust ( been riding hard before fuelling up) the result was lots of white smoke bellowing from that point, if there had been some grass or dry debris on the exhaust it would have gone up in flames. I quickly threw buckets of water on the area to wet/cool it down and stop a flame igniting. I noticed that the fuel was running down from up high in the tank and not coming out of the overflow as it should ? (I filmed it as I knew the dealer would not believe me.). when I got it checked the only thing we could come up with was that the breather hose must have been blocked and with the tank pressure / overfill the fuel had no where to go and made its way under the fuel cap. Not out the opening were you refill the tank but rather where the outer case of the cap is attached to the tank. (but that should be sealed I here you say :surprise:. I thought so too, but mine does not seem to be sealed) I haven't had any problems with it since but then again I don't over fill it anymore. I thought this may be a possible reason for yours leaking like mine did. Check that your overflow is not blocked by blowing air down it.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I did have an occasion where I had just filled up (possibly too full ) and rode a short 300m to my camp site when I parked the bike on its side stand my mate shouted that my bike was on fire [email protected][email protected] I noticed the fuel was cascading down the side of the bike and running onto the very hot exhaust ( been riding hard before fuelling up) the result was lots of white smoke bellowing from that point, if there had been some grass or dry debris on the exhaust it would have gone up in flames. I quickly threw buckets of water on the area to wet/cool it down and stop a flame igniting. I noticed that the fuel was running down from up high in the tank and not coming out of the overflow as it should ? (I filmed it as I knew the dealer would not believe me.). when I got it checked the only thing we could come up with was that the breather hose must have been blocked and with the tank pressure / overfill the fuel had no where to go and made its way under the fuel cap. Not out the opening were you refill the tank but rather where the outer case of the cap is attached to the tank. (but that should be sealed I here you say :surprise:. I thought so too, but mine does not seem to be sealed) I haven't had any problems with it since but then again I don't over fill it anymore. I thought this may be a possible reason for yours leaking like mine did. Check that your overflow is not blocked by blowing air down it.
Sorry bud but your dealer is lousy. I bet they kinked it with that recall. Lousy lousy dealers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had gas just pours out of gas cap under hard breaking after filling up twice recently. I showed it to the dealer and he said that it's because I'm over filling and that I should leave an inch of room under the cap's neck when I fill up.

(Which sucks because the gas tank is small to start with ...)

·
Administrator
8,280 Posts
I've had gas just pours out of gas cap under hard breaking after filling up twice recently. I showed it to the dealer and he said that it's because I'm over filling and that I should leave an inch of room under the cap's neck when I fill up.

(Which sucks because the gas tank is small to start with ...)
Hmm, interesting, mine is usually pretty full after fill-up (but probably not "overfilled") and never had it leak...

·
Registered
2019MY Ducati Supersport S
88 Posts
Wow. Got a shock today. Had just filled up with fuel and joined a motorway. Accelerated on the slip road/ramp and as I closed the throttle to settle to steady speed, the bike momentarily dipped forwards and a load of fuel came out from the filler area over the tank and dash. I pulled over safely and quickly got off the bike. I was trying to understand what had happened. I think the fuel cap locking mechanism had not fully engaged leaving opportunity for the fuel to escape as I closed the throttle. Having read the posts in this chat, I realise I’m not the only one this has happened to!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts