Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have searched through the forum and cant find this issue. I have to believe my brother and I are not the only ones that have this going on.....

Went to dealer to have a few warranty issues handled, specifically the mirrors. I think when we were there they may have flashed or updated the software or something along those lines but maybe not.

Anyway, immediately afterwards we are riding and BOTH supersports read that the tank is completely empty. WHOA. Pulled into a gas station immediately and weird....tanks have gas. So, we both filled up and took off. Problem solved, until about 2 miles down the road and the exact same thing happens again. But both tanks are full.

Called the dealer and they sounded like "oh...yeah, we have seen this before. You need a new something or other that registers the fuel level and reports to the ECU." Huh? I thought that was weird.

Now I dont see anyone else on this forum with the same issue so its really weird. Anybody here know what I am talking about or have similar problems?

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh jeez. I just found it. Sorry everyone......

Mine doesnt happen when hot. happens all the time. ugh.

Reactions: amoslws and Ed K

·
Super Moderator
6,252 Posts
Hmmm, interesting... I believe this is the first time this issue has been reported immediately after an ECU update.

And also interesting, this happened to 2 bikes, at the same time, immediately after the same ECU update...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a bad fuel sensor. Motorcycle would go to "blinking empty" after riding around for a minute. The dealer replaced the sensor and everything was good again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had this for a while. Fairly well known problem with the fuel sender unit. Replaced by dealer under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
6,252 Posts
Do you think it could happen due to different brands?
I always use shell/ tamoil/eni with 98 octane and however I had the problem.
No one really knows...but it seems to have happened often when folks used nothing but top tier fuels...so probably not directly related to fuel. Seems more likely a design defect in the sensor. And Ducati has updated the sensor to a later version.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 17 sss is in the shop right now for that issue. My extended warranty guy said that Ducati is on their 3rd version of the fuel sending unit. He said multistradas are known for that as well

·
Super Moderator
6,252 Posts
My 17 sss is in the shop right now for that issue. My extended warranty guy said that Ducati is on their 3rd version of the fuel sending unit. He said multistradas are known for that as well
Are they installing this part number? 59219251B

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ed, I'm not sure yet I should get the bike back this week or next I'll update. My rear brake is out too. I tried bleeding by pumping and then again with a vacuum pump and couldn't get it. You really do have to remove the caliper.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree. I tried and the exterior pad is possible but not the inside one.

And as it's really difficult to remove the caliper's screw, I will have to remove the wheel. :cautious:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine started acting up right after the annual service last year. I called them and they said I was not letting the gas tank drain enough before refueling. So I tried that with no change. A bit ridiculous as it was fine for over 2000 miles! Anyway, if it acts up on today's ride, I am taking it into the shop...will post results. Oh and by the way I use high octane Shell fuel for every opportunity, and it happens all the time, regardless of engine temperature.

·
Super Moderator
6,252 Posts
Not letting the gas drain enough? Although, I do notice that if it’s down only one bar, and then topped off, it doesn’t always reset to full. Whereas, if it’s lower than one bar, and topped off, it always resets properly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts