Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Now my ‘18 SSS has same fuel level issue. Yesterday worked fine. Today, tank nearly full, but reserve on, level empty. I use Shell 93 octane religiously.
It acted up once before, last October, but upon next refill it began working fine until today. Warranty is out as of this September. Will call tomorrow for service appointment.
Very disappointing.

·
Registered
465 Posts
So mine is the same except it’s intermittent at this point(10k miles). Works when stopped but breaks when you get up to speed. The dealer believes Ducati will replace it beyond the factory warranty, but they need to see it firsthand so they can document it. I dropped it off earlier today to do some things and look into the fuel sensor but they couldn't reproduce it, ugh. So I’m picking it up, will bring it back in once it’s toast.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
You know it’s odd, when I turn key on, gauge seems to read close to correct, but once start button is hit, goes to empty.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Unfortunately we have little opportunity to get ethanol free gasoline in the United States. The ethanol causes issues with the fuel sender. I understand there are no fuel sender failures in Italy where gasoline is unadulterated.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Unfortunately we have little opportunity to get ethanol free gasoline in the United States. The ethanol causes issues with the fuel sender. I understand there are no fuel sender failures in Italy where gasoline is unadulterated.
The USA is awash with oil and we still use ethanol, go figure.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I've signed up to replace mine the second time now. This one is out of warranty, hoping for goodwill from ducati considering that this is a known issue. Wondering if there is any other way to get fuel readings?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, I have searched through the forum and cant find this issue. I have to believe my brother and I are not the only ones that have this going on.....

Went to dealer to have a few warranty issues handled, specifically the mirrors. I think when we were there they may have flashed or updated the software or something along those lines but maybe not.

Anyway, immediately afterwards we are riding and BOTH supersports read that the tank is completely empty. WHOA. Pulled into a gas station immediately and weird....tanks have gas. So, we both filled up and took off. Problem solved, until about 2 miles down the road and the exact same thing happens again. But both tanks are full.

Called the dealer and they sounded like "oh...yeah, we have seen this before. You need a new something or other that registers the fuel level and reports to the ECU." Huh? I thought that was weird.

Now I dont see anyone else on this forum with the same issue so its really weird. Anybody here know what I am talking about or have similar problems?

Thanks folks.
I have this issue as well. Right after servicing. Makes you not too comfortable out on the road. I had mine happen after they installed new exhaust.

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
@PK Rippin Very glad you joined us! Please introduce yourself in the New Member section.

Also, if you haven’t already, you might browse through thread.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well this might inteest you. Back on Nov 30 i had my bike serviced for the rear brake safety recall, annual service and the fuel sender unit. They replaced the unit. Even though I was out of warranty. My Dealer convinced Ducati to at least pay for the part. So its fair I payed labour only. I ger the bike back and I was prepping it for winter storage. I turned on the bike to move it.The low fuel light is off. Gas tank reading half full which is about right. I go to fill up the tank from a container add the correct amount of fuel stabilizer. Of course my fuel gauge didnt move from half full. Ran the bike for 10 mins. Started it a few times. No change. I take a pictire of the fuel level with fuel cap open and also the fuel gauge still showing half tank. Email Dealer they contact Ducati. Go figure a brand new fuel gauge that doesn't work. Now I have to bring it in again in the Spring to do the repair all over again and wait for the part to come in.
I may just give up on fuel gauge and ride old school. Just use the trip meter. By now I already now exactly how far I can go on 1/ 4 tank , 1/2 , 3/4 , just before empty.
Crazy how in 2022 Ducati can't get a simple fuel guage to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bump. Mine is doing it too. 2020 SS. Just picked it up in April 2021. Didn’t get a ton of riding in, so it only has 2,500 miles. Dealer is kinda a PITA, won’t order a part until I bring it in, it’s a 2h round trip, they can’t look at it for 3 weeks, not sure if it’s backordered and said they don’t know if it’s even covered under warranty.

Mine doesn’t seem to be heat related. It just stopped working one day, after a few miles it seems to come back for a little bit, then turn at a light or roundabout or something and it goes off for a few miles again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is correct! The USA gas contains alcohol. This makes the seals swell in the sending unit, thus making them inoperable! On my 2017 Monster 1200S, I have had to replace the sender 4 times under warranty! The last time I was out of warranty, but Ducati replaced it free of charge. Now fast forward to my new 2022 Streetfighter V2. It does not have a fuel gauge. I'm wondering if that is the solution that Ducati is making due to the USA poor gas? I suspect so, but wouldn't the real solution be for Ducati to get the part manufacturer to upgrade the seals that are alcohol friendly? BTW... Ducati is not the only bike manufacturer with this issue. BMW's have this problem as well...

tach9

21 - 40 of 40 Posts