Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could take a photo of their gear selector lever from the top looking down. I had a light drop on my bike when I was moving it around in my garage thd other day and I beleve the lever got bent.
I'm trying to judge how much it bent and if I need to get a new one installed.
Im trying to use the tip of the fairing as a refernce point.
Its the basic non DQS shifter lever.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Sorry to hear about you minor drop. I'm away from my bike at the moment and can't take a photo ....... and mine has DQS, but I don't think that will make a difference to its positioning.

I take it that the bike is still rideable? If it's only bent a little and you can still change gear ok, can you not live with it for the time being?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it was a very minor controlled drop in my driveway . I thought the kickstand was fully out. But it wasn't. By the time I realized it, it was past point of no return.
Only damage is broken clutch lever and what seems to be bent gear selector lever. No scratches on fairing etc. Suppose I got lucky as far a drops go.

It does shift ok. But pedel portion seems closer to bike. Not much offset clearance to fairing now. Just trying to judge how much it needs to go back. Ill most likely just get a new one installed.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
What aftermarket lever did you go with? Are rhey easy to install DIY for someone that never changed one before?
CNC Racing. The gear lever was a cinch, but the brake leaver was a faff, you have to remove the footpeg mounting plate. That requires a very large hex bit - I bought a plumbing connector that was the right size and turned it with a socket.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Had the same experience, emergency toilet stop(anyone over 50 knows that feeling! 😆), didn't get the stand down properly. The fairings are well protected if you can lay it down and get the bar ends on the ground. Not a scratch. Anyway, hope these pictures help, £46.00 in the UK for a new one, so not too expensive. Worth taking off and trying to straighten imho.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't help. I've got after market...
Had the same experience, emergency toilet stop(anyone over 50 knows that feeling! 😆), didn't get the stand down properly. The fairings are well protected if you can lay it down and get the bar ends on the ground. Not a scratch. Anyway, hope these pictures help, £46.00 in the UK for a new one, so not too expensive. Worth taking off and trying to straighten imho.
Ok thanks. Mine doesn't look to be too far off from the first pic angle. But in your second pic I can see a difference.

For the minor cost to put a new one on. Im going to just order a new one to be safe. The pegs on these are already questionable , so even if the lever only bent a little. I'm not sure if I made the peg connection any weaker than it already was from factory.

Almost reasuring to know that others had a simple mishap like me. I still can't believe after 14 years of riding , I drop a bike while getting off it.... I still see it happening in slow motion. I was doing all I could to hang on to the bike. But I just couldnt lift it up and it slowly fell. Luckly it was in my garage. I have a plastic flooring system that also gave in a bit and helped miniimze the impact. Only damage is broken clutch lever. And slightly bent gear lever. Also some gas spilled out of tank onto the Ducati sticker on the tank. It has a little damage. The gas peeled away some of the sticker edges.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok thanks. Mine doesn't look to be too far off from the first pic angle. But in your second pic I can see a difference.

For the minor cost to put a new one on. Im going to just order a new one to be safe. The pegs on these are already questionable , so even if the lever only bent a little. I'm not sure if I made the peg connection any weaker than it already was from factory.

Almost reasuring to know that others had a simple mishap like me. I still can't believe after 14 years of riding , I drop a bike while getting off it.... I still see it happening in slow motion. I was doing all I could to hang on to the bike. But I just couldnt lift it up and it slowly fell. Luckly it was in my garage. I have a plastic flooring system that also gave in a bit and helped miniimze the impact. Only damage is broken clutch lever. And slightly bent gear lever. Also some gas spilled out of tank onto the Ducati sticker on the tank. It has a little damage. The gas peeled away some of the sticker edges.
...sorry to hear about the stickers, are they not lacquered in?

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
So far a parking a bike and seeing it fall over in "slow motion", I've learned to keep the bike in gear the same way as you'd park a car with a manual transmission.

Don't asked how I figured this out. 😢

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just in case anyone is interested. I went to my dealer and explained the gear lever being slightly bent and if it would be ok to try and bend it back. They advised against this due to it being aluminum. The risk of weakining the lever or breaking it vs just getting a new one for $140 Canadian is not worth it in my opinion.
The only problem is these are on back order need to wait 5 weks for it. Oh well ..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea putting the bike in first wouldnt of helped me in this situation. I was on level ground. The kickstand just wasnt full out and it gave in as soon as the weight of the bike was placed on it. I already had my leg over the seat by the time I realized it was leaning more rhan normal. What a shitty feeling seeing the bike slowly tip over. I was holding on as best as I could. No hope in lifting it up. It was like a slow motion drop.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
My turn to pick the bike up from the floor.

Had it in a wheel chock behind the car, prepping it for a track day. Unloading stuff out of the car, I stumbled and fell on top of the bike, pushing it over. The fairings landed on a rubber mat, so they're all good. The gear lever is bent, so I fitted the original while I wait for replacements. Unfortunately, the back fell on a jack stand, pushing the rear side panels and seat across. Both panels are broken, and the seat locking tab has broken off. <sigh/>

Ordered the lever and bar end from CNC Racing and will be on the phone with the dealer tomorrow about the side panels and seat. Probably need the stickers, too. If they are too expensive, I might go down the carbon road...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows what torque values to use use for the gear selector lever replacement. Just for for the two bolts that attach it to rear set and the adjustable rod.
Ive been waiting for almost 5 weeks now for Ducati Canada to have the OEM one available and the response is they don't know when it will be available. On back order.
I am looking into getting the Ducabike one.
Are these very simple to replace? Just two hex bolts ... and if so do they require thread locker or is it a simple just tighten them? Is a Torque value required or just by feel?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
136 Posts
Heat it up and bend it back to where you want it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up ordering a new gear lever from Ducabikedirect. Hopefully its an easy install.
I was advised against heating it up and bending it back. The OEM lever is made out of aluminum not steel. So they are more prone to failure if your try to bend it.
The one shown below is what I ordered. Hopefully its a simple two bolt off and on process.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Hood Vehicle brake

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
136 Posts
Frame repair heat them up and bend them back all the time. I can understand the dealer saying not to do it because they want to sell stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts