Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking that people could add the best bits of advice they have to give to new Supersport owners. i.e. These are some of the things that I have read on this forum which were only small but were great advice.
1. Clean off the waxy stuff on the chain before you take it for a ride (Great advice) if you don't you wish you would have.
2 . If you are looking for a switched power feed to run a Sat Nav or other device, there is a little white plug on the R/H side of the tank (great Advice)
3 If your finding it too hot under the seat try blocking the heat with heat blocking insulating material. (Very helpful )
4. Having problems finding neutral, try adjusting your gear lever or quick shifter to a more ideal position and you will find neutral easier.
Thanks to all for these little bits of information. Jump on board and post your helpful hints I am sure it will help new owners :smile2:

·
Registered
97 Posts
@Rhino great idea!

The bulbs in the non-s model (and maybe the S one too, but I can't say) are NOT H1 and H7 as per the manual. They are BOTH H11, as I found out when I switched mine out.

If nothing else check before you buy some... save you a trip lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, great idea, lets have official guides for each topic.

For example:

4. Having problems finding neutral, try adjusting your gear lever or quick shifter to a more ideal position and you will find neutral easier. - How did you do that???

Many thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
How did you do that???
Urban, there is also a forum covering this topic, but look at page 223 or 224(S-model) of the owners manual. It will show you there.

I did it and it took all of 2 minutes? Non-S model for me, 10mm wrench (x2 if you got them) and make small adjustments and check (while actually sitting on the bike) after each adjustment. (trust me on this lol)

It really helped solve the false neutral issues for me. Ride safe!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Urban, there is also a forum covering this topic, but look at page 223 or 224(S-model) of the owners manual. It will show you there.

I did it and it took all of 2 minutes? Non-S model for me, 10mm wrench (x2 if you got them) and make small adjustments and check (while actually sitting on the bike) after each adjustment. (trust me on this lol)

It really helped solve the false neutral issues for me. Ride safe!
I really need to do this, I cant get neutral without the bike moving.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For the neutral & 1st gear difficulties :
It's easy to fix : just turn (on pilot side, so front to back) the screw on the clutch lever, I had to do 2 turns on mine, and it's now perfect.
It's normal to have to do this, the cable is new so it has to be adjusted after some time.

edit : I've read somewhere on this forum that a dealer solved this by changing chain tension... well... I've a big doubt about this. I guess it was cable tension, not chain.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If you're going to be fiddling with the clutch cable adjuster make sure you still have the prescribed free play, which is specified in the owners handbook, or you could be looking at a new clutch.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Yes, great idea, lets have official guides for each topic.

For example:

4. Having problems finding neutral, try adjusting your gear lever or quick shifter to a more ideal position and you will find neutral easier. - How did you do that???

Many thanks!
Go here
http://www.ducatisupersport939.net/forum/689-ducati-supersport-939-issues-problems-complaints/3193-dqs-discussion-adjustments-failures-etc.html

There is a good diagram with full directions on how to do this. I did it in under 10 minutes....works much better now.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My best advice - ENJOY IT !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
throw a leg over

got givi 30l bag for long trips and i am 5foot 5 could not throw a leg over it with leather riding pants with the bag strapped to the passenger seat. A good way to mount is right foot on the right footpeg gives the extra hight needed, the bike just sinks to the right not putting extra weight on the sidestand that could damage it. oh and hold the front brake on so theres no chance of it rolling off the sidestand. did it this way for 2500km no problems

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If like me you rest the balls of your feet on the pegs, there is a chance that your left foot will rub on the swinging arm. I noticed a small mark starting to appear that would only get worse. I got some clear anti-erosion tape (a thick clear sticky back tape), cut it to size and put it where my left boot rubs on the swinging arm. When it wears out I will replace it, far better than wearing away the swinging arm.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If like me you rest the balls of your feet on the pegs, there is a chance that your left foot will rub on the swinging arm. I noticed a small mark starting to appear that would only get worse. I got some clear anti-erosion tape (a thick clear sticky back tape), cut it to size and put it where my left boot rubs on the swinging arm. When it wears out I will replace it, far better than wearing away the swinging arm.
I just noticed this happening to mine too, I will be putting the 3m clear tape on tomorrow. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I just noticed this happening to mine too, I will be putting the 3m clear tape on tomorrow.
I'm sorry, correct me if I'm won't. Isn't the swing arm an alloy? If so your boot should wear out not your swing arm

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I'm sorry, correct me if I'm won't. Isn't the swing arm an alloy? If so your boot should wear out not your swing arm
Yes the boots are softer but they will still wear away alloy over time. look at stone steps they wear away from people walking up them over time, or water cutting through rock. Soft materials are abrasive to harder materials and vice verse.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I've noticed and felt my boot touching the swingarm as well. May have to look at some protection in that area, too.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Yes the boots are softer but they will still wear away alloy over time. look at stone steps they wear away from people walking up them over time, or water cutting through rock. Soft materials are abrasive to harder materials and vice verse.
Its not a concern for me. I expect to maybe have scuff marks, but i dont see my boots eroding the swingarm. Havent heard of anything like. Just seems like an absurd thing to me. but thats just my opinion

·
Registered
58 Posts
I suspect the paint might get scuffed and rubbed off, but you'd have to ride the bike for longer than you'll live to cause any significant damage to the metal itself.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I suspect the paint might get scuffed and rubbed off, but you'd have to ride the bike for longer than you'll live to cause any significant damage to the metal itself.
I'm not saying that you will cause enough damage to be of any structural concern but it will leave a permanent mark on it.
I use my bike doing about 300 miles a week, so wear and tear is inevitable, but I don't want to mark it unnecessarily.

·
Registered
58 Posts
DQS usage tips:
When going up gears, DQS will operate most smoothly when accelerating hard. Otherwise manually shifting when driving at a relaxed pace will make things smoother. Wring the throttle hard and kick up at around 9k RPM or so for best DQS results. Make sure to give a solid kick to get from first to second, and fifth to sixth will probably get a false neutral if not done with hard throttle and a solid kick.

Close the throttle under at most 8.5k RPM and kick down to downshift, though I generally recommend not downshifting at any higher than about 6.5-7k RPM as engine power falls off above 9k and downshifting a single gear gives you around a 2k jump. V-twins really aren't worth revving out to red line. Also sixth to fifth will tend to be unreliable on downshift I've found, again possibly resulting in a false neutral. It might work better close to top speed, but I've not tested it extensively yet.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Parking Lights

When you put your steering lock on you have to be careful not to turn the key to the "P" position.
I have done this twice now but fortunately I noticed. It would be very easy when you put your steering lock on to accidentally leave the parking lights on only to return to your bike with a flat battery.
I don't know how long the battery would last, but it's better not to take the risk. At night it's easy to notice the lights on but in bright sunlight not so much.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts