Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I find the clutch really easy to modulate on my SSS.

However, first takeoff of the day seems to be hard to modulate, nothing then everything. After that first takeoff from a cold start, it's all good.

Anybody else experience this?

Reactions: Zaphod

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,726 Posts
Yes, mine is the same. Grabby for the first few times when cold. I didn't notice it prior to the 600 mile service when the oil was changed to Motul 300V.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Today, I noticed that, in passing twice the 1st gear then by returning to the point-dead man, well I have no more this brutality of the cold clutch. I shall try again to know if it was a coincidence with the relatively high outside temperature, or not.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the same since few weeks. I guess it depends on oil. I have 10.000km, and in the morning the clutch is nearly impossible to use. I guess that service at 15000km is a dream... should change oil before.

·
Administrator
8,506 Posts
Yes guys, here’s another interesting thing...

Try rolling the bike in gear with the clutch in when the bike is cold, but in warm weather, i.e. 75-80 F. Then try the same when weather is about 65-70 F. I can notice a surprising amount of additional drag on the clutch with that minor temp difference. More than any other bike that I’ve owned. Of course this is of no matter whatsoever once the bike is warmed up, but just a curiosity. I guess the thing is, a variety of factors can influence various behaviors of the bike until it’s thoroughly warmed up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Twice it's caught me since the first service. Nearly had me off yesterday. I thought it was just me being useless. Good to know I'm not alone.

Z
LOL. The woman thought I was being useless leaving the driveway. Now I have an excuse. :wink2:

Good feedback guys. Good to know it's just another Ducati bit of "character". I can live with it. Clutch is great for me at all other times.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ok Guys, here's the thing. While the engine is warming up in the garage or the driveway (you shouldn't ride until temp reads 40), work the clutch in and out a few times as this will coat the clutch plates with oil and you should find that the first take off is as smooth as silk!!
If not, have a look at the level and type of oil you're using

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Ok Guys, here's the thing. While the engine is warming up in the garage or the driveway (you shouldn't ride until temp reads 40), work the clutch in and out a few times as this will coat the clutch plates with oil and you should find that the first take off is as smooth as silk!!
If not, have a look at the level and type of oil you're using
Good advice. I've not consciously been doing this, but do it most days, I guess, as a habit, lol.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Try starting it in gear with the clutch pulled in, perhaps that might help? I don't suffer from this problem.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
The SS has a clutch????? I use the DQS for everything..:grin2:

True, after the 600 mile service it did get smoother.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I dig up this subject, because I spoke with my mechanic Ducati, of the lack of cold progressiveness, the clutch (only to the first starting up, after a night of stop(ruling)). He explained me that The humidity is in question. It is true that that began when the temperatures clearly came down. The summer, no problem and even at the moment, the rest of the day, no worries. This "collage"("sticking") of clutch could be limited by using a high cold viscosity, but it would be necessary to return to an adapted viscosity (lower), from the ascent of the temperatures. He recommended me to stay 10W40. A solution, spend the 2nd speed, the settled engine, let on the clutch by pushing slightly the motorcycle to unstick disks, and after only, start up the engine. I shall try.

·
Administrator
8,506 Posts
10W40?

You might recall, there’s been some discussion and different opinions about different oils/weights elsewhere on the Forum, but the manual indicates: “Ducati recommends you use Shell Advance 4T Ultra 15W-50 oil.”

That’s what my dealer put in it, and it’s what I used when changing the oil.

Also, several of us have noticed a very slight first grab of the clutch when cold overnight. Some member have made suggestions to help minimize the first grab, but mine does it ever so slightly whatever I do.

And, it’s not unusual for other bikes to do this too (e.g. my BMW K1200S).

Imo, I wouldn’t worry about...it just is. And by changing oil viscosity you may risk reducing your engine’s protection when you’re having fun.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also suffer from cold bike 1st gear grabby clutch syndrome, but I'm getting the hydraulic clutch conversion put in next week. Will see if it makes a difference!

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Imo, I wouldn’t worry about...it just is. And by changing oil viscosity you may risk reducing your engine’s protection when you’re having fun.
Oil is a very touchy subject, I agree. For the most part, I try and stay with what the manufacturer recommends...at least as far as viscosity goes. I have my own favorite brands, though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have adapted. Pulling away from cold I just make sure the front is straight and I'm fully committed.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts