Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, having rolled 100 km, by ambient temperature of 28 °, I move my motorcycle, (settled engine) and I hear a strong grating which would seem to result from a joint of the axis of front wheel. After cooling, There was not grating anymore. Did it already arrive at anybody here? I shall visit the mechanic Ducati, on Tuesday.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I can think of three things that would cause a grating sound when rolling the bike: wheel bearings, brake rotors/calipers, wheel speed/ABS sensor. I think it is only wheel bearings that would make a noise when hot but go away when cool.

They should be covered under warranty, going to the dealer is a good idea, they should replace them at no cost. I would not ride the motorcycle until then, and consider taking it on a trailer or truck rather than riding it. If the wheel bearings fail while you are going fast, it could be dangerous.

Of course it could be something very easy and not at all dangerous, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

·
Super Moderator
7,816 Posts
Today, having rolled 100 km, by ambient temperature of 28 °, I move my motorcycle, (settled engine) and I hear a strong grating which would seem to result from a joint of the axis of front wheel. After cooling, There was not grating anymore. Did it already arrive at anybody here? I shall visit the mechanic Ducati, on Tuesday.
Sorry to hear of this and hope it's fixed quickly; please keep us posted.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You say 'grating' but if you'd said a 'scraping' sound my first though would be it may just be the brake pads dragging the rotors, which is normal. Mine (not an SS) does that every time I move it around and is quite noisy, and you only hear it then because the engine isn't running and you're not wearing helmet/earplugs. When it cooled down, components contract, the pads now have some clearance, so the noise goes away (at least till you applied the brakes again to take up that slack).

If you do ride it and notice it again, with a gloved hand (it'll be hot) give the calipers a bit of tug back and forth to push the pistons a little back in the calipers so the pads now have some clearance and see if the noise disappears.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe rather that it is a joint ( polymer flask) of ball bearing. The noise is typically a grating, as if a soft material is too much tightened on a hard material. I shall inform you about what the mechanic will have made.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Someone has reported similar in this forum in April. A good blow out with air on the brake pads solved the problem. Unsure if you have the very same symptoms but its worth a try cleaning any residue out between the pads and disk. If you have a paddock stand for the front, try rotating the wheel by hand and feel/listen for any unsmooth response from the wheel. That should help you to realise where it is coming from. Hopefully it's just a bit of brake residue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts