Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some squishy, sportbike grips and tried to change them out. Glad I didn't cut the originals off because I could NOT get the new grip on. 7/8", which seems to be the universal sportbike grip size. Harleys tend to be 1". Even with soapy water it was a no-go. Perhaps my snowflakedness is showing :) and i just need to get more elbow grease into it :) Or, maybe they are 1"

·
Registered
885 Posts
Blow compressed air between the bar and grip, use it to slightly "inflate" the grip as you work it over the bar. I usually use about 50 psi.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure one grip is wider to account for the throttle tube. Did you try both sides?
I was only working on the port side. Never got to the starboard.

Re: compressed air.....I don't have a compressor.

I still think soapy water is good enough (under most, usual conditions). In fact, my original attempt was with hair spray so it would stick it down and I think that is a relatively common way to do this.

snowflakedness :) or bars are too big. One or the other :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would you change them? Can you please send picture of end result? Thanks!
ha ha....perhaps I wasn't clear with my initial post. They didn't fit so I put the original back on...so, a pic would be a boring shot looking exactly like yours :)

Reason: it isn't for looks. I was putting Progrips on for vibration dampening.

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRIP-719BKBK-DENSITY-GRIPSGONT-TITANIUM/dp/B00A9ZDH5Q/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1495808167&sr=8-17&keywords=pro+grip+719

·
Registered
149 Posts
Seem to be quit cheap - maybe the grips are just not manufactored well?
The bar is for sure 7/8. 1" is a lot thicker.

Explaination: In Germany "cheap" means "for little money you'll get pure quality" while "inexpensive" means that you get good quality for a low price.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seem to be quit cheap - maybe the grips are just not manufactored well?
The bar is for sure 7/8. 1" is a lot thicker.

Explaination: In Germany "cheap" means "for little money you'll get pure quality" while "inexpensive" means that you get good quality for a low price.
they're a good brand. Now, the specific pair I have may have something gimpy about them :| but this brand is good.

Definitely feeling tingly hands right now.:frown2:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And the grips (once you find a pair that fits) help against the tingly hands?
Yes

I don't know why....but it seems like most manufacturers put a pair of thin....um.....not spectacular grips on. A pair of dual density, foam or gel grips can help a great deal. The real answer is to not hold on so tight....but for me....I just can't get there when taking tight corners. I hold on way too tight. The grips will help. I could put some grip puppies on but I don't like the way they look and they seem more like something for a cruiser to me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ha ha....perhaps I wasn't clear with my initial post. They didn't fit so I put the original back on...so, a pic would be a boring shot looking exactly like yours :)

Reason: it isn't for looks. I was putting Progrips on for vibration dampening.

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRIP-719BKBK-DENSITY-GRIPSGONT-TITANIUM/dp/B00A9ZDH5Q/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1495808167&sr=8-17&keywords=pro+grip+719
I have those grips and was going to put them on.. I got the left handle bar on no problem. But the throttle side is weird. Like, the grip seems to be attached to the white tube and I am not sure how to get it off and afraid of breaking something trying to get it off.

Am I missing something? The grips I have are the same size on both sides. Is one supposed to be larger? Even then.. how do I get the throttle grip off.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,722 Posts
.. how do I get the throttle grip off.
Not easily, the RH grip is a tight fit on the twistgrip tube which has a number ridges cast into it to prevent the rubber from rotating, but it can be done. Or you can just cut it off and fit a new one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not easily, the RH grip is a tight fit on the twistgrip tube which has a number ridges cast into it to prevent the rubber from rotating, but it can be done. Or you can just cut it off and fit a new one.
Ok.. I was just nervous about doing something to the throttle tube. Getting a new one on sounds like it may be a bit of a challenge. Also, the original has a groove at the end that matches the throttle tube. New grips won't have that leaving it exposed I assume.

I put these on my BMW and they were just awesome!

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Pro-Grip is a high quality brand.

Like psyopper said, compressed air is the way to go.

I found both were easy this way. The right one slides right on with a little bit of warm water and compressed air.

I put the left one on with a mist of warm water but it would spin and spin under normal clutch operation and riding. I don't ride with a GI Joe Kung Fu grip.

I finally took it off last weekend and sprayed some hairspray on it, the kind I use for my hair, and the spinning has stopped.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
And the grips (once you find a pair that fits) help against the tingly hands?
Yes, definitely. Pro Grip products are inexpensive but high quality. They offer an excellent array of options depending on one's needs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts