Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my SuperSport new last June, I've had six or eight Ducatis and a lot of BMWs, my SuperSport had zero miles on it, leftover model from 2017. I thought it was the best handling bike I've ever owned, I currently own three other bikes. But with 2,700 miles on it the rear tire is a little squared off and the front looks pretty good but it seems like the handling has gone downhill faster than most bikes. It seems to fight me when leaning into a curve more than other bikes I've had with new tires after 2700mi. It has the pirelli Rosso 2 tires. Anyone else have issues with this? It's not like it handles terrible now it just lost all its ease in the curves, the handlebars are narrower than my other three bikes, that might be a factor.

It never ceases to amaze me how much better handling any bike gets with a new set of tires..... But 2,700 seems way less than I usually get from a set.....

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
5,966 Posts
It has Rosso II, not Rosso III tires?

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I'm getting about 6,000 (3,700 miles) kms from the back and 9,000 (5,600) from Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIIs. No squaring off, wear over the full surface of the tyre. Worn to the right-hand wear marks (we ride on the left).

I got 5,000 out of the first rear, but getting the suspension setup has given me extra miles. The sipe edges are only slightly rounded with no saw-tooth effect, so the damping is about right for me. I'm watching tyre pressures carefully. 36 psi front, 40 psi rear (depending on the ambient when I fill the tyres), giving a 3 psi increase in the front and a 4 psi increase in the rear when they are to operating temperature.

There is a slight improvement with new tyres, but the handling is pretty consistent through the life of the tire. The last little bit of wear seems to occur quickly if you are getting close to the wear marks you need to make plans.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I found that the Pirelli Rosso 111 wore evenly with no significant flat spot and the dip in was not noticeably effected. This leads me to thinking maybe it could be a couple of things 1 tyre pressure rear at 36psi front at 34psi I know the book says 36R and 36F so if you want 36psi in the front put 38psi in the rear. 2nd and probably the cause is that yous suspension has probably settled from New and now sits different. As an example the rear may have dropped / settled 5mm lower from the 1st time you rode it that would give the slower turn in you are feeling. ? I set and recorded my SAG when I first got the bike and periodically checked it after every couple of thousand km, it does change on a new bike as it settles in, it doesn't seem change anymore must be only while it settles in. My suggestion would be set your SAG and then play with your ride Hight (front up or down to suite how you like it. Just making suggestions and trying to help.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The last 2 sets I put on my SuperSport were Michelin Power RS. They don't last as long as the Rosso 3's, but my god, the handling was phenomenal. That said, I think the non-linked suspension made the SS a bit finicky. I swear, I'd put the bike away on one day and the next, the turn in was so sluggish I'd have to adjust the suspension on the side of the road. I find the sweet zone for this bike is as thin as a sheet of paper. I set the sag on my bike a couple times each season and kept a log on a Google Sheet, and I did indeed have to make small adjustments over time to keep it in the sweet spot. I'm also 6'2" and about 185 lbs, so the suspension might be a little light for me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, I keep a pretty good eye on tire pressures but I'll try messing with that a bit. I'll check the sag as well, maybe mess with some suspension settings......

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
The last 2 sets I put on my SuperSport were Michelin Power RS. They don't last as long as the Rosso 3's, but my god, the handling was phenomenal. That said, I think the non-linked suspension made the SS a bit finicky. I swear, I'd put the bike away on one day and the next, the turn in was so sluggish I'd have to adjust the suspension on the side of the road. I find the sweet zone for this bike is as thin as a sheet of paper. I set the sag on my bike a couple times each season and kept a log on a Google Sheet, and I did indeed have to make small adjustments over time to keep it in the sweet spot. I'm also 6'2" and about 185 lbs, so the suspension might be a little light for me.
I've have experience with Michelins, they seem to more time to warm up than other brands. I don't suppose that would be an issue?

I've never had to reset my sag after it was dialed in. I don't get the issue with un-linked shock, I suppose the leverage with linkages might mute inconsistency? Is this the standard suspension or Ohlins?

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
How many miles/ km on your suspension since the last service. Was it Ohlins or Sachs? Marzocchi? (You know where this is going...)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My super sport is an s with the Olins suspension. Only 2700 miles on it. I'm pretty familiar with suspension setup and have messed with all my bikes suspensions numerous times. It just seems like the bike requires more effort to lean in than it should. When it was great from the beginning. Like I said, I'll mess with the suspension a little bit and tire pressure. I have a 2004 brutale 750 MV Augusta, that once the tires have a little wear on them it resists turning in some as well, just takes a little more effort as well. But it has wider handlebars so you can overcome it a little easier. Maybe I'm just being hyper critical, over thinking it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
My super sport is an s with the Olins suspension. Only 2700 miles on it. I'm pretty familiar with suspension setup and have messed with all my bikes suspensions numerous times. It just seems like the bike requires more effort to lean in than it should. When it was great from the beginning. Like I said, I'll mess with the suspension a little bit and tire pressure. I have a 2004 brutale 750 MV Augusta, that once the tires have a little wear on them it resists turning in some as well, just takes a little more effort as well. But it has wider handlebars so you can overcome it a little easier. Maybe I'm just being hyper critical, over thinking it.
You’re not hyper critical, just very in tune with your bike and how things feel.

I’m around the same miles as you, have the Rosso IIIs and noticed it as well, especially the last ride at the end of last season and the beginning of this one, starting as I was passing that 2300/2500 mile mark. It’s not a huge thing, but when you first start to tip in its almost like the bike resists a bit, then “eventually” drops in pretty normally. My tires are not squared off, I really only ride the bike on curvy roads, and they are not worn down significantly but it’s definitely a feeling I’ve gotten as time has moved on with these tires. Older Bridgestone supersport tires like the BT10s and the original Pilot Powers used to do this as well so I’m not surprised as to the way it feels.

I think if a person were on a trip or constantly riding you’d never even notice it, but when you’re off a while, ride another bike and get back on it, you notice it. I have no idea if it goes away or not or it’s just the way these wear, but you’re not alone. I run 36/36 for pressure.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Like I said, I'll mess with the suspension a little bit and tire pressure.
How you'll do it?
The best is to turn back on original setting and set up step by step starting with front and follow with rear. Never touch both in the same time. I think you do this.
For the fork (Marzocchi), I found the best configuration. (Quite hard for hard braking. But I'm disappointing with the rear because I can't find a good match with front.
For pressure, the behavior can be really different but such as for a tyre brand choice, it's a personal feeling. The lower it is, the harder feeling is on low speed. For classic roads or cold conditions I run 36/36 for pressure but for high speed in mountain I run with 32/34.

Here's the Rosso corsa II with 2700 miles always on 34psi, and a really great feeling even close to the end. With the rosso III I had to change it before the end
If you can try this one, don't hesitate. And I think with 36psi it's possible to reach easily 4000 miles.

67074449_10219993663608787_7191986036380008448_o.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've have experience with Michelins, they seem to more time to warm up than other brands. I don't suppose that would be an issue?

I've never had to reset my sag after it was dialed in. I don't get the issue with un-linked shock, I suppose the leverage with linkages might mute inconsistency? Is this the standard suspension or Ohlins?
I found the RS to be really, really good tires. There was very little warm up time, and the bike felt a lot less greasy going around corners aggressively. The Rosso III was a good tire too, though, so either way. I made the mistake of not buying the S model. A linked suspension is more forgiving and there's less direct impact, but I think the Ohlins suspension would probably have resolved a lot of the consistency issues I had.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How many miles/ km on your suspension since the last service. Was it Ohlins or Sachs? Marzocchi? (You know where this is going...)
I certainly do. The Marzocchi front end was rubbish. I had the Sachs rear shock replaced under warranty last year and I really don't think it was the problem; that front end was just really, really bad. I imagine the S model to be well worth the money. I didn't spring for the S model Streetfighter, but only because the standard suspension is a fully adjustable Sachs in back, and - more importantly - a fully adjustable Showa fork.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I'm quite happy with the standard bike and the 'zocchis. Since I purchased my bike, I've only taken one round out of rebound on the Sachs (no dampening adjustment) that's about 10k miles of riding (third rear and 2nd front tires all RC3). I am very happy with the handling of the bike. In fact, it's the best handling and most agile bike I ever owned or ridden.

Pretty odd the range of experiences expressed across this board. Perhaps that's because I've never taken it to the track and only ridden it on the street?

I find that riding position and balance are critical. Is the Streetfighter an upright bike or sport tuck compared to the SS?

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I certainly do. The Marzocchi front end was rubbish. I had the Sachs rear shock replaced under warranty last year and I really don't think it was the problem; that front end was just really, really bad...
I'm interested in how old the fork oil is/ was. As it gets older it becomes thicker when it's cold and thinner when it's hot. Makes it very hard to set damping, especially when it happens during a ride.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm quite happy with the standard bike and the 'zocchis. Since I purchased my bike, I've only taken one round out of rebound on the Sachs (no dampening adjustment) that's about 10k miles of riding (third rear and 2nd front tires all RC3). I am very happy with the handling of the bike. In fact, it's the best handling and most agile bike I ever owned or ridden.

Pretty odd the range of experiences expressed across this board. Perhaps that's because I've never taken it to the track and only ridden it on the street?

I find that riding position and balance are critical. Is the Streetfighter an upright bike or sport tuck compared to the SS?
The SuperSport is an extremely comfortable bike! I sold mine to a friend in Utah (I live in Connecticut) and he rode it home from my house to his in March (!) this year. The most miles he put on in a day was 1000, which is pretty insane! I spend most of my days trying to find out when I'll actually get my Streetfighter. I know they were on the line before Ducati had to close the factory and they've only been up and running for a week now, so I'm guessing I have at least another month before I'll see it. What I've heard from those who received their bikes during the early shipment in March is that it's surprisingly upright and comfortable. The bars are really wide as well, so the riding position is somewhat less aggressive than that of the SuperSport. Of course there's a lack of wind protection, but I don't ride highways so I'm not overly concerned about the windscreen. I really wish I'd have kept my old bike. Partially because I'm left here with nothing to ride during quarantine, but also because it's just a damn good machine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm interested in how old the fork oil is/ was. As it gets older it becomes thicker when it's cold and thinner when it's hot. Makes it very hard to set damping, especially when it happens during a ride.
The fork oil absolutely should have been changed. I preordered the SS so had had it since May of 2017 and put on about 25,000 miles. In all that time I never did change the fork oil. I'd be temped to chalk the consistency issues up to old fork oil, but it was like that from day 1. I just could never get it to be the same from day to day. Heat was certainly a contributing factor as well. If I left in the morning while cold, if the day got very hot I'd have to turn up the compression to compensate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input, it's definitely the tires even though they don't look bad at as low miles as they have. I've tried a lot of different suspension settings, came back to stockish and none of the settings really made any difference, I put new tires on a 2018 BMW R 1200 RS that I have and it's night and day handling better. I think I've just gotten pickier and having multiple bikes makes it obvious when your tires are starting to spoil handling on another bike.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My Rosso front tire had cupping on it. I was concerned about something with the bike suspension....but decided it was just the tire. Put Angel GTs on. Am a few thousand into the front tire with no wear issues. The back in at...um...~5-6k. Very nearing the end of it's life. I was expecting more out of it since I got about 5-6 out of the Rosso back. It is squared off but that tire has a bit more flat center as the normal shape anyway.

Bottom line...I had wear issues with my Rosso Front tire. May have been a balance issue. My wear was more scalloped cups and not what you are describing at all. I have the balance gel in both now so no longer a worry about balance.

As the GT is not lasting quite as long as I thought I might go with M9rr for the next set. Maybe the GT IIs. Both new and I am still up in the air because I can't find anyone that has tried either.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
My Rosso front tire had cupping on it. I was concerned about something with the bike suspension....but decided it was just the tire. Put Angel GTs on. Am a few thousand into the front tire with no wear issues. The back in at...um...~5-6k. Very nearing the end of it's life. I was expecting more out of it since I got about 5-6 out of the Rosso back. It is squared off but that tire has a bit more flat center as the normal shape anyway.

Bottom line...I had wear issues with my Rosso Front tire. May have been a balance issue. My wear was more scalloped cups and not what you are describing at all. I have the balance gel in both now so no longer a worry about balance.

As the GT is not lasting quite as long as I thought I might go with M9rr for the next set. Maybe the GT IIs. Both new and I am still up in the air because I can't find anyone that has tried either.
What do you mean by cupping?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts