Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one?

I get why people change. I've been that guy on other bikes, so I get it. :grin2:

But, for me, enough sound, especially when up it, yet quiet enough to not attract the wrong kind of attention. The right wrist "volume control" can really make enough difference to the sound for me.

I'm open to changing the look of the two cans when something reasonably priced comes out (**** you Akra!) though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Am I the only one?

I get why people change. I've been that guy on other bikes, so I get it. :grin2:

But, for me, enough sound, especially when up it, yet quiet enough to not attract the wrong kind of attention. The right wrist "volume control" can really make enough difference to the sound for me.

I'm open to changing the look of the two cans when something reasonably priced comes out (**** you Akra!) though.
Yes you are the only one>:)>:)

Have you listened to the akra race exhaust in person? Once you hear it, you'll know how wonderful this engine CAN sound. For me something that sounds that good, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg and looks half decent would be perfect. Really not fussed about performance increases. I'm not talented enough to use even the stock performance, let alone crave for more:grin2:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm happy with the stock, in fact its the best stock ive heard. I'm not changing till It results in something other than an increase in DB. Now if we are talking extra HP then that stock if gone>:)
I agree for the most part. Since it can be rather expensive, I'd hope for more than looks and sound, although the Termignoni grumble is sure nice. So I'm hoping something with accompanying ECU is packaged vs. these slip ons. I've gone the path of full Ti exhaust and added ECU remap and Power Commander, and dyno tuning (to dial it all in). The sheer cost of it all will probably be my last ever to do that again.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Guys, it's not only the sound, its the fact that if you have stock then you are trailing a [email protected] coffin around on the underbelly of the bike. Have you seen how ugly that cat box looks when the bike is leaned over. Phew, you could lose a child in that thing.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I agree for the most part. Since it can be rather expensive, I'd hope for more than looks and sound, although the Termignoni grumble is sure nice. So I'm hoping something with accompanying ECU is packaged vs. these slip ons. I've gone the path of full Ti exhaust and added ECU remap and Power Commander, and dyno tuning (to dial it all in). The sheer cost of it all will probably be my last ever to do that again.
For the record, Rapid Bike is transferrable between bikes

·
Registered
24 Posts
To clarify, have you done this? What was the final horse power gain after that? I just can't see the value in the only decat exhaust Ducati will warrant is $AU4000 and only gives 5% power increase. I'm hoping you got a better result than that.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't want any more power, the bike has enough for what I use it for on the road. If I went to places where more power was required, or could be used, then I would buy a Panigale.
The exhaust does sound good, but it would be nice if it sounded a bit louder, but there is no way that I am going to spend a fortune on another system just for that. I would be interested in eliminating the cat inside the standard box, as I believe that it would improve economy as it has done on all of my other bikes.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I like the stock as well, but like @amoslws said, I hate the look of the cat. Problem for me is I'm not willing to shell out the money for the full Akra. Plus, I live in a nice neighborhood and I leave for work at 4:00 AM...I'm not going to be that guy with the loudass exhaust.

I am interested in the Termi, though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I like the stock as well, but like @amoslws said, I hate the look of the cat. Problem for me is I'm not willing to shell out the money for the full Akra. Plus, I live in a nice neighborhood and I leave for work at 4:00 AM...I'm not going to be that guy with the loudass exhaust.

+1 for the stock and -1 for the cat. I prob wont be able to justify the cash for termi and Akra isnt doing it for me. Im pinning my hopes on SC, theyre good at coming up with a value for money solution, and Im still not convinced that we have seen the best remap solution for cat removals.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

Yes that cat is U G L Y but it does make a satisfying sound when you scrape it on the Tarmac >:)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
MY view which likely counts little.
5% increase in HP is disappointing but what I never read in the forum is what are peoples expectations. If you are expecting 20-50% improvement by changing an exhaust system and piggy back ECU then sorry guys but you are living in a bubble. The only way to get that level is to supercharge or use a turbo and even then you are probably going to melt your big end. In the world of racing, even 1% improvement is smiled at. Without the Rapid bike installed and only the akra in place I managed to squeeze 6% in the mid range. With the Rapid bike I got 11% in the mid range, (+5%).
The only way to make me feel totally satisfied is to install the monster 1200 cylinders, then I for sure will be smiling like a cheshire cat that got the milk.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

What happened to the member that was bragging about his 132db noise in his quiet suburb:surprise:. Bet he enjoyed it so much he now sits in a free B&B with his bread and coffee.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
+1 for the stock and -1 for the cat. I prob wont be able to justify the cash for termi and Akra isnt doing it for me. Im pinning my hopes on SC, theyre good at coming up with a value for money solution, and Im still not convinced that we have seen the best remap solution for cat removals.
You can always polish the cat. They say you can't polish a turd, but in this case you can.
I decided very early on to go for the slip on's as I like the look of them, and wait for either a full system that I like the look of or for some one to do headers that replace the cat. Personally I've never liked the look of the full system.
So up to now it's looking very much like the Termi system. But 'er indoors just doesn't understand........

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
You can always polish the cat. They say you can't polish a turd, but in this case you can.
I decided very early on to go for the slip on's as I like the look of them, and wait for either a full system that I like the look of or for some one to do headers that replace the cat. Personally I've never liked the look of the full system.
So up to now it's looking very much like the Termi system. But 'er indoors just doesn't understand........
I tried the Autosol that you suggested, and works great with just a little hand rub. Little scary at first try because the cloth and metal looked dark, whew, until it’s buffed..but really works well...Thanks for posting about it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes you are the only one>:)>:)

Have you listened to the akra race exhaust in person? Once you hear it, you'll know how wonderful this engine CAN sound. For me something that sounds that good, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg and looks half decent would be perfect. Really not fussed about performance increases. I'm not talented enough to use even the stock performance, let alone crave for more:grin2:
Sure, I'd like a bit more sound and power than the stock exhaust provides, but not at $3000 and +1.5 HP.

·
Registered
90 Posts

- Hate the look of the cat too
- Termi - where are you??
- SC Where are you??

Just rode with a buddy and his M821 with brand new SC short cans - and they sound freakin (fill in the superlative of your choice here) !!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Am I the only one?

Noise aside, I opted for the Akro slip-ons because the stock cans look unfinished, as if they need a decal or something. The slip-ons aren't noisy at all and I can't imagine they are much louder than stock, but I like the way they look. A little pricey for some atheistics, but there you are.

Pjk

·
Registered
233 Posts
To clarify, have you done this? What was the final horse power gain after that? I just can't see the value in the only decat exhaust Ducati will warrant is $AU4000 and only gives 5% power increase. I'm hoping you got a better result than that.
Arguably you are correct. As per my post, I'm not going to do that again because IMO, it's super high cost for modest to good (subjective) hp and torque gain. Now this is all relative, ex. I did this on my Sportclassic, which is an passable/ anemic (subjective) 70-80Hp with something like 60 Torque. With the whole scale changes (plus replacement of an air box for open air intake system via WASP PUK), I've upped it to high 90's HP and higher torque (which ican't remember). Now that's arguable if that's much and I'd thinkin those who know about engine performance would tend to think that's a realistic, decent improvement. I can certainly tell a difference (that and the open Stradafab pipes which used to wake up the neighborhood before I got the "sewing machine" hum of the 939SSm, LOL, someone here called it a sewing machine here and I think that true!). I have to say that my loud SC does help with cagers knowing that I'm close by/ safety measure (but nothing compared to some of those Harleys). I'm loath to spend that much again but....(will need to look into Rapid bike suggestion)

I concur with amoslw's (sp) thoughts about cat removal and others have opinions that removal would increase power. But I'd like to remove that udder for aesthetics too.

I'd like to know what the dyno results are with the Akra full system and included ECU. Is there any post of that? I like the set up under the seat, MotoGP like, but just not these pipes (just doesn't look the same to me), and well I need panniers/ saddle bags for touring reasons. Nonetheless, I'd like to know if there's any greater benefits of this Akra TI- full system for its high price tag.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts