Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes that cat is U G L Y but it does make a satisfying sound when you scrape it on the Tarmac >:)
A couple of solutions for your issues:
1. "Cat is ugly" - paint it with heat-resistant black paint so it disappears visually
2. "scrape it on tarmac" - hang off bike when cornering, keeping the bike more upright

·
Registered
298 Posts
I haven't taken the plunge yet but I think the full Akra system has quite a few benefits:
-looks great
-removes the cat
-big weight reduction from the removal of the cat and hence that alone should improve performance
-sounds awesome.
The cost however is pretty steep. Let's see what the Termi cost is.

·
Registered
172 Posts
For me it was the aesthetics that I was after. I'm fine with the performance.
Personally, i think stock exhaust looks better than any aftermarket option so far. Akra slip-ons excluded.
I'd do Akra slip-ons if they were not so darn expensive and came with a map.

I was hoping Termi would do a full system that has looks similar to OEM, but they went with single can.

I ride with friends of mine on Monster 1200 and Panigale with termis, and their exhausts are way too loud in my opinion. They do sound better, but are way to loud.

Akra full system on my Superduke 1290 was too loud too. Phenomenal sounding but too loud.

Guess I am getting old :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I thought @amoslws said it was only 6% increase.
And the torque was actually lower at some RPMs. Definitely the least improvement I’ve ever seen from a full exhaust. And not something that interests me after seeing the dyno results.

Akra does great work, so I don’t get it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just found this video and must say that the full Akra sounds amazing. But I do wonder if it would get too loud after a while. My hearing is bad enough already.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Is that with baffles in or out?

Interesting that in the few indirect views of the mirrors, they seemed kinda clear...

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Jeez all the people complaining about the noise from the akra. When you are riding the wind noise is louder but that I suppose depends on how and where you ride.
I prefer the akra to the noise of hairdryer, vacuum cleaners and sewing machines. Take a pick which one yours sounds like

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
I want to say something here.

Ducati has done a MIRACULOUS job designing a bike with good power, good fueling, and good exhaust while meeting the lastest emission standards. That job is extremely difficult, and many bikes fail that test. All honor and praise to Ducati!

We all love to mod.

But I think anyone deciding to keep those items stock is being true to the maxim: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!"

·
Registered
530 Posts
Jeez all the people complaining about the noise from the akra. When you are riding the wind noise is louder but that I suppose depends on how and where you ride.
I prefer the akra to the noise of hairdryer, vacuum cleaners and sewing machines. Take a pick which one yours sounds like
It could be that the video exaggerated the decibel level. I had a full Akra on my Yamaha that had a perfectly reasonable volume. Baffle in! Baffle out was full-on psychological warfare.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I want to say something here.

Ducati has done a MIRACULOUS job designing a bike with good power, good fueling, and good exhaust while meeting the lastest emission standards. That job is extremely difficult, and many bikes fail that test. All honor and praise to Ducati!

We all love to mod.

But I think anyone deciding to keep those items stock is being true to the maxim: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!"
Yup...unfortunately they are so good they have locked down the ecu at 6000rpm too. That is menacing.

·
Registered
838 Posts
And the torque was actually lower at some RPMs. Definitely the least improvement I’ve ever seen from a full exhaust. And not something that interests me after seeing the dyno results.

Akra does great work, so I don’t get it.
I feel like a broken record. The engine is limited by the 11 degree valve timing. It's what gives us such a pleasant torque curve, but restricts top end power because it restricts flow through the valves at higher RPMs (HP = Torque / Time). The 848 Superbike (same basic engine with less capacity and different cams) made 122 HP, our 939 makes 110. Fancy aftermarket exhausts are made to be less restrictive so the heads can flow more air, but the 11 degree heads in the SS and Hyper are limited by the cams, not the exhaust.

However, these motors make amazing torque down low, where street riders and canyon carvers want it. It's a use-case proposition. The 1200 barrels and pistons with the 11 degree heads might just be perfect, and likely get up to 155 HP (the 1198 made 170 HP with high flow heads), assuming you can do something about fueling. I feel pretty certain, given Ducati's model record, that we'll see this very bike in another few years, once the demand for the 939 settles down.

Al that said, there's always someone who still wants even more power.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I just found this video and must say that the full Akra sounds amazing. But I do wonder if it would get too loud after a while. My hearing is bad enough already.
https://youtu.be/CLViF8EmnAA
The full Akra with the baffles in is totally ridable without hearing protection. It's louder than stock, but still quiet enough that you can hear the valve clatter at idle.

The Akra without baffles is loud enough to hear the screams from your slain enemies rend the folds from your brain from beyond their graves. When you take the earplugs out it gets even worse. This video seems to be shot without the baffles, you can tell when he's riding at speed on the highway.

Reactions: Ed K
21 - 40 of 63 Posts