Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have had 2 occasions where the bike found it difficult to start had to hold the start down while it struggled , the second I held the start buton down till the bike started chugged for about 5 turns and then died. Both times where in warm weather about 27'c early morning start. But only those 2 times and they were months apart ? Battery was defenatly charged.
The battery died completely or the bike reset itself?

These start problems sound like my Monster. It will crank and crank until the battery dies, or sometimes it will crank over until the gauge resets itself and gives me a code that I've not been able to find online, at which point I have to turn the key and try again; sometimes it starts, sometimes it just keeps turning until it drains the battery. It's mostly during cold weather, but sometimes it randomly happens after I've ridden it a lot.

I've replaced the battery twice with lithium and lead acid, upgraded the battery and starter cables, cleaned all starting connections, cleaned the starter internally, tried waiting for headlight to warm up the battery, starting it with the throttle slightly cracked open, pushing the start button intermittently so the battery warms up, replaced the spark plugs, and verified there's spark. It still does it.

Next I was going to try adjusting the air screws, but it hasn't been cold and it's been starting. Although the other day, I rode it around town for over 30 minutes, took a 15 minute break, and it didn't want to catch. I had to turn the key a few times and thankfully it caught before the battery died.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Sorry to raise a thread from the dead. Im wondering if psyopper had any more issues or found a resolve. This afternoon after work it took a lot of tries for me to get my bike to start. It almost caught then it was barely catching for a few times after that then i finally got it. It was only about 55F out. I have been fairly sad with the way this thing starts since i got it. My Honda would just crank 2-3 times and start no issue. This bike takes 4 or 6 cranks. Im still under the first 600 miles on it and have probably only started it 7 times.
My issue wasn't long crank times. Long/hard cranking is a common Ducati thing, mostly resolved by using larger core, high quality, all copper cables from the battery-solenoid, solenoid-starter, starter-ground, ground-battery.

My issue was limited to that one time only. It would crank one revolution and stop. Pressing the starter again netted one cycle and stop. Lasted about 2 minutes and I stopped trying so I didn't burn out the starter or battery. I let it rest about 5 minutes and tried again and it started right up as usual, one press/hold of the starter and 4 revolutions later it caught. Dealer pulled the codes at the first service and didn't find anything wrong.

I have a big single KTM (640cc) that has both electric and kick start. It's got a cylinder decompression lever so that when you can actually kick the motor over with the piston in the right spot. Occasionally when I try the electric start nothing happens because it's not strong enough to overcome the cylinder pressure and I need to decomp it, then it starts right up. My issue on the 939 was very similar - like it needed one of the cylinders decompressed to help the starter get by it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My issue wasn't long crank times. Long/hard cranking
Ah! yes i get it now.

Well at any rate i think i have a half a$$ed explanation. Im going to go with this thin prospect. I was starting the bike with the side stand down in neutral. perhaps the side stand in gear circuit was engaged because the bike was not fully in neutral or something and after a few dozen cranks it settled into neutral.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Probably unrelated, but I was also having starting problems over the winter months. Properly garaged on a battery tender...the 3 month old bike simply wouldn't start after multiple tries over multiple days. I followed someone's advice here to give it gas during the start - it did take a significant turn of the throttle, but finally turned over. Unfortunately, it required the gas to start every time. I'd even gone so far as to winterize it with "recreational" gas - ethanol-free 93 octane w/ added stabilizer that I had to drive 1.5hrs to acquire. Just playing it safe as I've had friends complain of Ducati's warping gas tanks, gunked up fuel systems, etc.

Switched to Shell 93 pump gas and the problems seem to have gone away. Temps have also been about 20 degrees warmer these past few weeks, so I'm watching to see if that also played into it. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mine sometimes will not start the first time. And the sluggish turnover makes you think it's the battery. But I have thoroughly tested the battery voltage, parasite drain (very low for a motorcycle), and so on; and the battery voltage is not an issue. I calculated the charge life of my lithium battery; and based on its parasitic drain of 0.22 mA, the battery is good for twelve months! That's without using a maintenance charger. Though I still use a charger just in case if I'm not riding the bike for an extended period.

Fortunately if it fails the first try, it starts on the second attempt 95% of the time. But the failure of the first crank is always a bit unsettling.

First service has been performed.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Long/hard cranking is a common Ducati thing, mostly resolved by using larger core, high quality, all copper cables from the battery-solenoid, solenoid-starter, starter-ground, ground-battery.
This is a good idea, and one that I had forgotten about. Thanks for the reminder. It's a lot of work, but may well be worth it if a problem is persistent. Personally, I don't have the issue, but good advice nonetheless.

Switched to Shell 93 pump gas and the problems seem to have gone away. Temps have also been about 20 degrees warmer these past few weeks, so I'm watching to see if that also played into it. Fingers crossed!
I know we've had octane discussions before...and I really don't want to get one started, again, but I've always believed that top tier gas is the answer. I run quality top gas in all my vehicles. I run only Exxon, BP, or Shell (those are the major ones in my area)...never an off brand. I've not had issues with fueling, starting, or any other issues associated with some vehicles/motorcycles. And my gas mileage has always been better than most everyones else's. I just think that for the small change it costs to go with quality gas, it's worth it. Oh, and I always run the highest octane available from those brands in my motorcycles, whether it calls for it or not. Not necessarily in my vehicles, but my motos, yes. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
I run quality top gas in all my vehicles. I run only Exxon, BP, or Shell (those are the major ones in my area)...never an off brand. I've not had issues with fueling, starting, or any other issues associated with some vehicles/motorcycles. And my gas mileage has always been better than most everyones else's. I just think that for the small change it costs to go with quality gas, it's worth it. Oh, and I always run the highest octane available from those brands in my motorcycles, whether it calls for it or not. Not necessarily in my vehicles, but my motos, yes. YMMV.
Big fat +1.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,761 Posts
This is a good idea, and one that I had forgotten about. Thanks for the reminder. It's a lot of work, but may well be worth it if a problem is persistent. Personally, I don't have the issue, but good advice nonetheless.

I know we've had octane discussions before...and I really don't want to get one started, again, but I've always believed that top tier gas is the answer. I run quality top gas in all my vehicles. I run only Exxon, BP, or Shell (those are the major ones in my area)...never an off brand. I've not had issues with fueling, starting, or any other issues associated with some vehicles/motorcycles. And my gas mileage has always been better than most everyones else's. I just think that for the small change it costs to go with quality gas, it's worth it. Oh, and I always run the highest octane available from those brands in my motorcycles, whether it calls for it or not. Not necessarily in my vehicles, but my motos, yes. YMMV.
Contrary to popular conception, low octane fuel is more easily ignited than a high octane fuel. I know this from the days when I used to smoke, 30 odd years ago. I used a Zippo lighter and when it ran dry I would sometimes fill it up with petrol from the bike. It worked great with the low octane 2 star we had in the late 70's but took a lot of flicking if it was filled with higher octane 4 star and was almost unlightable with 5 star (101 octane UK rating).
The only reason for a higher octane fuel is to prevent detonation.

·
Registered
118 Posts

No variation- both were 93 octane, top-tier gasolines. One had 10% ethanol, one didn't. Ethanol-free costs up to $1 more per gallon around here. My boat requires it so I figured it might be good for the bike as well.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
I've (or at least my bike) suddenly developed this issue. Cranks but doesn't start. Seems to make a couple of turns after the starter releases but doesn't kick up to idle, I've changed fuel and it's a little bit better. But eventually it starts (second time in the afternoon, 3rd or 4th time in the morning)...

I just rang the dealer and the service manager said it wasn't the first time he's heard of it. Ducati have just released a heap of updates and although he doesn't get told what they do he is confident there are some mapping changes that will cure the problem. All I have to do is drop around on the way home and they'll plug it in to the diagnostics, takes about 10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Ducati have just released a heap of updates and although he doesn't get told what they do he is confident there are some mapping changes that will cure the problem. All I have to do is drop around on the way home and they'll plug it in to the diagnostics, takes about 10 minutes.
Very interested. Any insight you may glean would be valuable and greatly appreciated.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts