Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Just noticed this thread (due to resurrection) and a couple of additional observations...

1) I have noted that starting with bike in gear and hand pulling clutch in - slow cranks, takes more effort on the bike's part to start. Starting while in neutral and standing, no problem.

2) The gas conversation cracks me up - guys, how often do you think you get what you are paying for anyhow? The pumps that have one hose and 3 gas types are typically used by cagers and likely filled with the cheap stuff. Since we only put 3-4 gallons of gas into the tank, the first 1-2 gallons are whatever was last sold from that pump! So if you're lucky and noticed who just bought your perfect blend, it's a total crapshoot.

Hopefully these two observations help narrow things down. On my #1 scenario, that happened after bike was on charger for two days - perfect battery condition, weather in the 70-80f range. Should not be happening. But it seems there is a lot of parasitic drain on the engine by having the clutch lever pulled in. Not sure why - as doing that disconnects the tranny.
That's interesting, either you're unfamiliar with fuel pumps or your first world state is having a laugh.
A pump station with 3 fuels will have three pumps underneath that cladding and each pump has its own pipe and gun. Just because each unit uses the same meter display does not warrant that the fuel gets mixed.

As for leakage current and battery cranking amps, to test your bike for battery drain simple disconnect the positive terminal and connect a amp meter in series between the battery terminal and the red cable. If there's any current drain you'll see the milliamps on the meter.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
595 Posts
Some background info...

I always start my bike in neutral and it is on trickle charger 24hrs/day in garage when I'm home. The time it took three tries it to stay running it was at my work outdoors over-night.

As for those blended pumps I agree a portion of the gas we put in bike may be lower octane regular but I don't think it is that much. Unfortunately there is not much we can do about that as 99% of the pumps around my neck of the woods are blended ones...

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's interesting, either you're unfamiliar with fuel pumps or your first world state is having a laugh.
A pump station with 3 fuels will have three pumps underneath that cladding and each pump has its own pipe and gun. Just because each unit uses the same meter display does not warrant that the fuel gets mixed.
More than likely first world laughing...

Most USA pumps in metro Chicago are a single hose to the pump, then likely a 3 source valve. The hose length and diameter mean a substantial amount of fuel... (relatively speaking to our needs).

From some quick searches (YMMV since it is the intertubes) is that it's around .25 to .5 gallons. I guess that makes me feel a bit better, but when you are getting a gallon of 93 octane and this happens you drop to 88-90 depending on the actual volume. Sure it will be ok the computer will compensate. But still.

Wherever possible, I look for multi-hose pumps btw. Though they are very rare as it's cheaper to have a single one (single vapor recovery system, single handle and overflow sensor, etc. etc. ) and they look better so the design architects select them.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I can't see that the octane level would make much difference regarding hard start. It sounds like you're not getting a rich shot of fuel to fire off or you have a weak spark. Could be the coil isn't so hot until the engine is running with more alternator current? (spitballing here) Might be a weak plug or connector.

You'd think the dealer could run a diagnostic with electrical, fuel and compression.

Does it smell flooded or does it smell dry when you have a slow start?

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,761 Posts
Assuming the electrics are OK, most starting problems are caused by an incorrect air/fuel ratio for the conditions ; hot/cold engine and to a lesser extent air temperature and pressure.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
595 Posts
OK today it was bad. I rolled bike out to street to start it. Temp was 18c so not cold at all. I turned ignition on and waited for fuel pump to prime up and startup sequence to complete, as I always do. I hit starter and it caught for a second then stalled. I hit starter again and it cranked fine but would not fire up. It seemed as though it just wasn't getting spark, just guessing here... I tried several more times and still no start, cranking ok. I thought oh no this is bad. I guess I am not riding bike today...OK get the cell phone and record a video for dealer to see and hear the issue. But as I did that I also thought ok lets turn off ignition and start all over. Good thinking Donny boy. Well guess what... it started right up of course with cell phone recording. It smelled like it was flooding so that is why I thought no spark ?? I will call dealer tmrw morning and book an appt. Something is definitely wrong with Solana :crying:

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
If you smell gasoline, it's flooded and probably not getting spark, if it smells like smoke or burnt smell likely dry and no fuel.

The later happened to me once when the engine caught and then died. I cranked the starter until I nearly lost the battery but it finally caught. No issue since. Might be smart when that happens to let it rest a bit, get the spark heat out and let the ecu reset.

Good luck Don.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
595 Posts
Code:
Hmmm ..? I suspect when you take it to the dealer it will probably work fine. As is always the way. I think it needs a good thrashing lol
Yes I'm afraid of that as well. I will have to leave it with them overnight so they can try a cold start in morning. I hope it shows for them...Don't want a nagging issue like this hanging around. :frown2:

Reactions: Rhino

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
595 Posts
So I pulled the side fairings off and loaded up the bike on my truck. Took it to local Ducati dealer, an hour away, so they could try a cold start next day. Of course they found nothing wrong as it started up fine and did not exhibit any stall or sluggish start. It has been over 27c during the day and only dropping to 17c for the past week so of course it's been fine...Arghhhh. Waste of time and gas... May have to wait till Oct/Nov and take it back if it continues stalling on early morning starts...:confused:

Reactions: Rhino

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was having same issues with a monster 796. I replaced the lead battery (130 CCA) to a lithium one (400 CCA). The starter motor clearly has a stronger cranking and spins faster. After the battery replacment it fires up easily, seens its all good now.

·
Administrator
10,396 Posts
@renanbergam Welcome! Very glad you joined us!

Not sure if you are aware that this Forum is dedicated to the Ducati SuperSport model, but you are welcome to stay with us. If you decide to stay, please introduce yourself (e.g. riding experience, prior bikes, etc) in the New Member section.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I was having same issues with a monster 796. I replaced the lead battery (130 CCA) to a lithium one (400 CCA). The starter motor clearly has a stronger cranking and spins faster. After the battery replacment it fires up easily, seens its all good now.
Try this forum for info regarding legacy Ducatis

81 - 96 of 96 Posts