Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
You could see the writing on the wall a year ago. The old CEO developed all these new bikes but rather than take these to market, he was replaced. That just never works. Anyone could guess that the new CEO would never deliver the other guy's baby.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Makes sense to me, focus on what you do best. Harley has a loyal following, sort of a life style thing. Indian is challenging that, will be interesting to see how that goes. Ran across this piece on KTM sales lagging by 33% so it isn't just Harley suffering.

·
Super Moderator
5,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@brucemswan Interesting, regarding KTM. Wonder how well Ducati sales have held up during this difficult time period.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Regarding Indian Motorcycles, I wonder how long it will be before the woke brigade try to get them to change there name. Especially with models like the scout and chief and the emblem of the Native American. It could be an iconic name being told the change because it offends nobody.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Regarding Indian Motorcycles, I wonder how long it will be before the woke brigade try to get them to change there name. Especially with models like the scout and chief and the emblem of the Native American. It could be an iconic name being told the change because it offends nobody.
I think the difference is the term Indian, Chief and Scout do not have a derogatory connotation like the term “Redskin” does.

I’m not all for this erasing history crap that’s going on right now but I get where that change needed to be made, woke brigade not withstanding.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
They won't change - I think it's only about the money - they won't get more clients by the """trend""" thus it's safe. Those """trendsetters""" won't even think messing in motorcycle area. In my opionion.

The real thing with HD - if I had money for it - I would not have "buddies". I'm going there for demo rides, always big fat 2 m tall guys :D acha and I don't smoke. How to fit in their group? The only solution is Panamerica to have HD and not be part of old HD... Indian in Europe has fresh start, no connections to movies etc. and what's more - made in the US, not Malasia heh.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I prefer the look of the new offerings from Indian than those of HD, although I’ve never ridden either brands so it’s only looks kind of thing not how they may ride.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I only rode British and Italian bikes until I was around 40. I couldn't conceive ever riding, let along owning, a Harley, we joked about them. In the late 90's one of my friends was buying new Road Kings and reselling them for profit. Back then you had to get on a list and wait maybe a year to get a new one. One day he asked if I wanted to ride one of his RKs along with a bunch of his Harley buddies. Sure, I'll give it try, hit some bars, hang out. When I started off it was completely foreign, I had a hard time accepting the footboards and controls. It wasn't fast but it did have some torque and even though it was heavy, it was amazingly nimble once you get rolling. After a few miles, I chilled to it and started to have fun. It was a cool day and I had the windshield on which allowed me to smoke a cigar going down the road, still get a kick out of that. Long story short, I had a blast that day and bought it from him when we got back, complete impulse buy. I sold it a couple years later (for what I paid for it) after I went to Sturgis and bought a new 2001 RK which I still have today, has around 25k on the clock. While I ride my SS most of the time, I still ride the RK a lot, love it, will never sell it. The RK is particularly fun when riding without the windshield, a throwback to my early days of riding. It's had zero issues, requires almost no service, and looks new after 19 years. It's hard to put my finger on what makes these bikes great to own and ride, you can't just focus on performance and compare it to a sport bike, its more of a total experience thing. Rather than ripping through countryside on my SS, on the RK I just sit back, relax, and ease my way around the roads, take in the sights and smells. Go figure!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts