Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else hearing a lot of noise from what I suspect is harmonic vibration? I've found a similar noise, coming from a heat shield on another bike. The howling, at most RPM, is really beginning to annoy me.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Is anyone else hearing a lot of noise from what I suspect is harmonic vibration? I've found a similar noise, coming from a heat shield on another bike. The howling, at most RPM, is really beginning to annoy me.

Is it like a high pitch hum, almost metallic sounding??

·
Registered
349 Posts
No, I have not noticed any noise as you described on my bike.

You obviously have a clue to what you are hearing based on your experience with another bike. If it were me, I'd also consider looking at the exhaust system including the heat shields. Problem is, if the noise source comes from an area under the fairing, the fairing will need to be removed. There are a couple of opportunities to damage the fairing if you do not specifically know how to do it. The owner manual instructions do not tell the whole story.

I suggest looking over the accessible areas for any loose bits. If you do not find any, take it to the dealer and let them resolve it.

Edit: Reread your post and saw that it was at most RPMs. If the noise is present at idle, take a look at the exhaust sniffer bung and see if it is loose. They have been known to come from the factory not correctly torqued.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it like a high pitch hum, almost metallic sounding??
It's certainly metallic sounding, like a loose piece of sheet metal vibrating, and the pitch changes with the revs. I'm going to start removing easily accessible heat shields first and see if that has an affect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I have not noticed any noise as you described on my bike.

You obviously have a clue to what you are hearing based on your experience with another bike. If it were me, I'd also consider looking at the exhaust system including the heat shields. Problem is, if the noise source comes from an area under the fairing, the fairing will need to be removed. There are a couple of opportunities to damage the fairing if you do not specifically know how to do it. The owner manual instructions do not tell the whole story.

I suggest looking over the accessible areas for any loose bits. If you do not find any, take it to the dealer and let them resolve it.

Edit: Reread your post and saw that it was at most RPMs. If the noise is present at idle, take a look at the exhaust sniffer bung and see if it is loose. They have been known to come from the factory not correctly torqued.
Thanks O'n'D, I'll look for the sniffer bung issue but my gut tells me that it's improperly designed or installed sheet metal. I'll pass on what I find out. The bike is due for it's 1st maintenance check too, in case I can't source the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts