Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I replaced the headlight bulbs with Philips H11 Ultimate White bulbs. To see the difference, the light on the right is the Philips bulb and on the light on the left is the stock bulb. Although not LED, the white light complements the look of the LED running lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Today I replaced the headlight bulbs with Philips H11 Ultimate White bulbs. To see the difference, the light on the right is the Philips bulb and on the light on the left is the stock bulb. Although not LED, the white light complements the look of the LED running lights.

Nice Mike! Did you install them yourself? The stock yellow bulbs really do not gel well with the LEDs! Is this the same bulb https://www.amazon.com/Philips-CrystalVision-Ultra-Upgrade-Headlight/dp/B00U1OL356 ?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Thanks Sid. Yes I installed them. Very easy to do. This is what I installed (the bulbs inside the box are actually the stock bulbs. The Philips have a blue outer coating).
How much of the bike did you have to strip off? The white lights do look cool.

·
Registered
349 Posts
How much of the bike did you have to strip off? The white lights do look cool.
Sit on the bike. Look down at the backside of the forward fairing. See the wire leading to the part that has H11 etched on it. The wire probably has a white tag on it stating if high or low. Easy peasy, even a golfer could do it. :wink2:

Best prices I have ever seen for good bulbs has been https://www.powerbulbs.com/
Although shipping is from Great Britain, delivery time is really fast.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
The cool white does look a lot better, nice post. Out of curiousity, did you perhaps investigate the fanless H11 LED's. Just wondering if they are an option in terms of fitment. My concern is the space required for the fanless heatsink. Heatsink is approximately 30mm depth and 30mm diameter. This url is only a sample because I think we will want higher wattage and lumens if it can be a solution.
https://www.extremelights.co.za/product/h11-fanless-version-5-led-headlamp-replacement-bulb-set-two/

·
Registered
422 Posts
If a bulb needs a fan then it is producing more heat than light. That is not what you want as light is the primary function of a headlight.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Very good! :wink2: I think I'll buy the same :laugh:

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
It has arrived with italian dust

If a bulb needs a fan then it is producing more heat than light. That is not what you want as light is the primary function of a headlight.
Fred I could not agree more, which is why I posted the fanless LED, meaning heatsink and no fan cooling. Anyway the ducati SS has arrived at the dealer and I watched my S being uncrated / unboxed. What a fantastic decision I have made on instinct. Lovely machine and so comfortable. The fanless LED's might fit but the lower triple clamp looks a little close. Oh and I reported all the negatives mentioned in the forum to the dealer GM from mirrors , gearbox, white chain lube etc.... His response was I should not ride so slow that I need to be using the mirrors :laugh:. I did warn him of a total recall though because almost everyone on here has mentioned the mirror issue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cool white does look a lot better, nice post. Out of curiousity, did you perhaps investigate the fanless H11 LED's. Just wondering if they are an option in terms of fitment. My concern is the space required for the fanless heatsink. Heatsink is approximately 30mm depth and 30mm diameter. This url is only a sample because I think we will want higher wattage and lumens if it can be a solution.
https://www.extremelights.co.za/product/h11-fanless-version-5-led-headlamp-replacement-bulb-set-two/
No I didn't check in to those. These are the same bulbs I installed on my 959 and liked them. There is a long thread on the 959 forum on this overall topic.
Light's need upgrading - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow - nice difference - and thanks for the photo. I hate when the whites don't match and this seems like an easy correction to that. You guys are great for sharing these tips!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
So the bulbs are H11? The manual, which we all know is wrong says one H1 and one H7, looks like neither of those are right then.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
No I didn't check in to those. These are the same bulbs I installed on my 959 and liked them. There is a long thread on the 959 forum on this overall topic.
Light's need upgrading - Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
Mike I helped uncrate mine today and had a good look to see if the heatsink will be an obstruction, it seem there might be 1 or 2 mm space between the heatsink and the lower triple clamp at full turn. I think I will go ahead and source the fanless LED and if they don't fit then its my tough luck. Prior to that I will get the vernier out. I do like the look of the cool white that's been posted although they will probably will never get turned on mine.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Mike! I ordered a pair last night and they'll arrive tomorrow (Amazon Prime Sunday delivery!). Installation looks like it takes all of 5 minutes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Interesting that they claim 4000 lumen from a 25 watt LED. The industry top standard at the moment is about 1500 lumen from 25 watt, and that is top standard. A Halogen H7 is about 1400 to 1600 lumen.
Perhaps the Chinese have invented something that no one else knows about.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Interesting that they claim 4000 lumen from a 25 watt LED. The industry top standard at the moment is about 1500 lumen from 25 watt, and that is top standard. A Halogen H7 is about 1400 to 1600 lumen.
Perhaps the Chinese have invented something that no one else knows about.
Over the years I have learned that headlight discussions can become almost as emotional as oil ones. :wink2:

Fred brings up a valid point. There are other points. Daniel Stern has a good website explaining why you cannot believe your eyes when it comes to evaluating headlights and why you cannot get something for nothing, at least in the Physics world.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Even though they sell them, https://www.powerbulbs.com/ has tutorials and info explaining why the whitest appearing lights are not the most effective ones.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance on this matter. My bike is not in the bike shed where it belongs so I don't even understand how the running light and headlights work while riding. Also, the H11, H7 designations are a mystery to me. Are both headlamps on after dark and then a switch changes to high beam on both lights? Is the LED light on all the time.

I had a van once that had a crank on the door inner panel and it somehow made the windows go up and down. The van I have now turns the lights on automatically and doesn't have a button on the floor for high beam. The times they are a changin'. The same newer van has HID headlamps but yellowish fog lamps. I am glad I am not the only one who thinks that looks stupid. Thanks to all for this thread.

Frank (without his white supersport) in Georgia

·
Registered
349 Posts
The owner manual has all the information regarding the operation of the lights and how to set them up to your preference.

What is it you not understand about the bulb designations? Once bikes were delivered, the discrepancy between the owner manual listing and the parts fische was resolved by looking at the bulb and reading the type designation. They are H11.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts