Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there is a long thread going on about headlight bulbs, and I have read the manual about one of the halogens being the dip and one the full (main) beam, but my bike is not like that.
When I ride the DRL is on, as a DRL. When it gets dark the DRL increases in brightness and gives a perfect dip pattern on the road ahead - a full LED dip beam without the two halogen lights. If I switch the full beam on then both halogen units come on as the full beam.
Is this the same as everyone else?

·
Registered
886 Posts
The behavior I've seen is this:

DRL - The LED strip at full brightness, neither headlamps are illuminated
Dip (low) beam - the LED strip cuts to half power and the right (clutch side) headlamp illuminates
High beam - same as the Dip, plus the left side headlamp illuminates.

There are three buttons that control the lights. the High Beam switch on the left bar, the Flash to Pass momentary switch on the left bar, and the DRL switch on the right bar. There is an ambient light sensor that automatically switches between DRL and Low beam. You can manually toggle between the DRL and Low beam with the DRL switch on the right bar. Sometimes, when I go into a tunnel, the ambient light sensor turns on the Low Beam, but when I exit the tunnel it doesn't go back to DRL, I have to use the switch to go back to the DRL.

The High Beam switch (ON) or the Flash to Pass (momentary) do the same thing - it overrides all of the DRL and Low beam controls and goes directly to the High Beam setting above.

All that said, on one single ocassion I had the same behavior as you are describing - the DRL switch only made the the DRL bright or dim, but never turned on the headlamp. At some point it corrected itself, and I've never seen it happen again.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I just went out and played with it some more. Starting with the bike off and key out here are my findings:

Turn the ignition key to the "Run" position (but not yet running) - DRL only, in bright mode with no headlamp illuminated
Press the DRL button and toggle between DRL bright and DRL dim modes with no headlamp illuminated - this is what you described in your question

Hit the starter - DRL off, bike starts

Running - DRL is on in the bright mode. Press the DRL button - toggles as expected between DRL and dip beam.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The behavior I've seen is this:

DRL - The LED strip at full brightness, neither headlamps are illuminated
Dip (low) beam - the LED strip cuts to half power and the right (clutch side) headlamp illuminates
High beam - same as the Dip, plus the left side headlamp illuminates.

There are three buttons that control the lights. the High Beam switch on the left bar, the Flash to Pass momentary switch on the left bar, and the DRL switch on the right bar. There is an ambient light sensor that automatically switches between DRL and Low beam. You can manually toggle between the DRL and Low beam with the DRL switch on the right bar. Sometimes, when I go into a tunnel, the ambient light sensor turns on the Low Beam, but when I exit the tunnel it doesn't go back to DRL, I have to use the switch to go back to the DRL.

The High Beam switch (ON) or the Flash to Pass (momentary) do the same thing - it overrides all of the DRL and Low beam controls and goes directly to the High Beam setting above.

All that said, on one single ocassion I had the same behavior as you are describing - the DRL switch only made the the DRL bright or dim, but never turned on the headlamp. At some point it corrected itself, and I've never seen it happen again.
This is what I have noticed as well

·
Registered
886 Posts
Last time I looked at my bike the right hand side had a brake lever on it? Or have I misunderstood?
Sorry, my brain swaps those around - the clutch lever is on the left, but the actual clutch is on the right by your right foot. You are correct.

Funny story - I grew up on the East coast (Philly area) so my navigational reference is that mountains are West and the ocean is East. I moved to Portland, Oregon 20 years ago, where this layout is reversed and I still get that backwards, even though I still get North and South correct.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Missing a button on my bike...?

Hey Guys,
I don't seem to have a button that you all have. Maybe its a Canadian thing...? I dont have the DRL button on the right side of the handlebars. It was driving me nuts that I couldn't have the DRL only. I have a Dip light on at all times with the LEDs. In Canada we are 100% allowed LED DRLs. My Audi's have had them and my current Porsche does too.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
You do, the little round button directly above the red hazard button is the DRL switch. I can see it in the second photo.

@DucColin...I believe the second photo of the white SS is an example photo only. Look closely at photo 1 of the red bike...it appears the DRL button is missing.
Maybe more owners from The Great White North can weigh in here...

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
512 Posts
Hey Guys,
I don't seem to have a button that you all have. Maybe its a Canadian thing...? I dont have the DRL button on the right side of the handlebars. It was driving me nuts that I couldn't have the DRL only. I have a Dip light on at all times with the LEDs. In Canada we are 100% allowed LED DRLs. My Audi's have had them and my current Porsche does too.

Thoughts?
Yes it is a Canadian thing. We have mandatory DRL so on ours the button to control it on right handlebar grip is removed. They come on when ignition is on and stay on when bike is running, regardless of lo/hi beam headlight setting... Note: I always ride with high beams on !!! Safety First. Cars will see me !!! Also I don't like the fact low beam only illuminates left headlight, right if your in UK? My CBR was same, didn't like it then don't like it now. Two headlamps please Mr Ducati...

·
Registered
91 Posts
neighbour!

Yes it is a Canadian thing. We have mandatory DRL so on ours the button to control it on right handlebar grip is removed. They come on when ignition is on and stay on when bike is running, regardless of lo/hi beam headlight setting... Note: I always ride with high beams on !!! Safety First. Cars will see me !!! Also I don't like the fact low beam only illuminates left headlight, right if your in UK? My CBR was same, didn't like it then don't like it now. Two headlamps please Mr Ducati...
No i'm near you in Toronto here. Ya, safety is important (plus one for those riding red ones...) but a main design feature is the LED. Even if just as it warms up! lol. Its stunning. I wonder if we can control it in the settings... Now its more important for me to get 5000 kelvin light bulbs to match the LED colouring.

Reactions: djcmx49

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
512 Posts
No i'm near you in Toronto here. Ya, safety is important (plus one for those riding red ones...) but a main design feature is the LED. Even if just as it warms up! lol. Its stunning. I wonder if we can control it in the settings... Now its more important for me to get 5000 kelvin light bulbs to match the LED colouring.
Not sure about controlling DRL from settings menu? I have not tried...As for matching colour temp I have these and they are pretty darn close...

https://www.powerbulbs.com/ca/product/crystal-vision-h11-twin

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Interesting. I didn't know that Ducati made two separate models for this small feature. Seems to me, they would have just disabled the button in the menu, somewhere, instead of making a whole different set of controls.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It does seem a bit excessive when it can be achieved through software. Perhaps the laws prevent a software only approach. We used to have the same sort of rules about headlights in Australia, they came into force about 20 years ago and changed while I was away from motorcycling. One of many things that changed. About that, whatever happened to the centre stand 😂

Reactions: dsoeater
1 - 20 of 40 Posts