Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in southern Colorado where it's dry and arid. The past few weeks have been in the mid 90s to 105°f. I have a short ride to work but have to hit a few stop lights and the bike will get up to 220°. Needless to say it was toasting my lower parts. I applied some gold heat reflective tape a week ago and am glad to say it's definitely worth it. It doesn't help the my legs at all but the seat is noticably cooler. For the price I highly recommend doing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
I bought this same stuff on amazon and put it on my seat but im not sure if it made a huge difference yet. I was getting a bit warm still the last time i went out but i did not feel like i had burns after but i was not stuck in the typical traffic either.

·
Registered
Ducati SuperSport S 2017
10 Posts
I paid good money to have heated seats in my car - so I appreciate the heated seat for my SS! Well, most of the time.
For the times I don't need a heated seat, I made a simple heat shield out of reflective bubble insulation - seems to work well for the seat, doesn't seem to trap heat around the electronic module (not that it matters, in all probability).

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It gets hot in traffic even in the 70s. 220 is about when the fans switch on. I can only assume the electrical system has more stress than the cooling system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in southern Colorado where it's dry and arid. The past few weeks have been in the mid 90s to 105°f. I have a short ride to work but have to hit a few stop lights and the bike will get up to 220°. Needless to say it was toasting my lower parts. I applied some gold heat reflective tape a week ago and am glad to say it's definitely worth it. It doesn't help the my legs at all but the seat is noticably cooler. For the price I highly recommend doing it.

Thanks for the info. I'm in Las Vegas where it's hot as hell in the summer. I tried your tape method. Works great. It's lowered the seat temperature a few degrees. Thanks.
20200619_181431.jpg
20200619_181434.jpg
20200619_181439.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
Question ............. Heat needs to dissipate from the engine and exhaust etc. So by putting heat reflective tape on, isn't it reflecting all that heat back to the source and maybe putting the bike at risk of overheating? I know there is the radiator, fan and oil radiator, but they ultimately have their limits.
Under the seat there is a fair amount of wiring that is now baking in an 'oven' between the engine/exhaust and the heat reflective tape.
I'm asking these questions on the basis of 'There is no such thing as a stupid question'
Thoughts please.

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
@Triplesapper I have some of same concerns...

And even though it gets pretty hot here, I hardly ever notice the heat. It appears my bike radiates less heat with more miles, compared to when it was new. But to each their own, really.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thought about the dissipating issue too. After searching every Ducati forum as well as other manufacturers forums. I couldn't find any issues related to heat tape on seat bottom and the effects of dissipating the heat back towards the engine. My initial thoughts were that it might be an issue in prolonged sitting in traffic. That being said. I'm removing the seat and checking the area after my daily commute to and from work(short commute 7 miles roundtrip) and on leisure rides usually 50 to 100 miles. I'm also keeping a close eye on the engine temperature( I have a good idea of what my regular engine temperatures are in different riding conditions). I haven't seen any issues that would cause me concern but I will still monitor for another month and another 1000 miles or so. The real test will be coming up this week when we are forecasting a couple 110° days.🥵 I'll keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
With no proof to show in my opinion if you get there 80-100*C it really can't affect more than it's already doing. You let the bike stay in the Sun on a parking lot and will get heat as well. I remember someone from us has an InfraRed camera. [is it possible to borrow it from... "somewhere/shop"??]

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am okay with the heat level from the actual seat, ie the saddle part. However I do feel the inner thighs getting too hot from the engine and thought to give the heat insulation a go. After reading this thread I've tried to find similar heat tape in UK, but alas nothing too close with good reviews, so I bought this one: Alchemy Parts Heat Shield Sheet 100cm x 33cm - Self Adhesive Exhaust & Engine Aluminium - Reflective - Ideal for Motorbike Motorcycle Fairing and Car: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

I have only applied it to the front part of the seat where I felt the heat, not expecting much difference, but I must admit the difference is there. That part of the seat definitely feels not as hot as it used to. Also added bonus is that the seat is more snug now with the front fixings. Here's a pic:

It was very easy to cut the right shape, I took a cardboard, applied it where I thought it should go and penciled around the right shape, got it right first time too, which surprised me a little.

One downside (and it may be a deal breaker for some) is that now the aluminium part touches the hidden part of the tank and leaves marks that seem to be impossible to get rid of now. Here's the pic:

I don't see a massive problem with it however as with the seat on you can't see it at all, but it might prove problematic in the future, who knows.

Now when I ride in hot weather (as hot as UK goes lol) and the bike goes to 105 C I only feel the burn with the inside of the knees, not the thighs anymore, so mission accomplished I guess.

Also have lots' of that sheet left so thinking where else I can apply it :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
I made custom blanket with reflective to fit under seat. Seat is cooler, but heat just rises around seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am okay with the heat level from the actual seat, ie the saddle part. However I do feel the inner thighs getting too hot from the engine and thought to give the heat insulation a go. After reading this thread I've tried to find similar heat tape in UK, but alas nothing too close with good reviews, so I bought this one: Alchemy Parts Heat Shield Sheet 100cm x 33cm - Self Adhesive Exhaust & Engine Aluminium - Reflective - Ideal for Motorbike Motorcycle Fairing and Car: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

View attachment 41305

I have only applied it to the front part of the seat where I felt the heat, not expecting much difference, but I must admit the difference is there. That part of the seat definitely feels not as hot as it used to. Also added bonus is that the seat is more snug now with the front fixings. Here's a pic:

View attachment 41306

It was very easy to cut the right shape, I took a cardboard, applied it where I thought it should go and penciled around the right shape, got it right first time too, which surprised me a little.

One downside (and it may be a deal breaker for some) is that now the aluminium part touches the hidden part of the tank and leaves marks that seem to be impossible to get rid of now. Here's the pic:

View attachment 41307

I don't see a massive problem with it however as with the seat on you can't see it at all, but it might prove problematic in the future, who knows.

Now when I ride in hot weather (as hot as UK goes lol) and the bike goes to 105 C I only feel the burn with the inside of the knees, not the thighs anymore, so mission accomplished I guess.

Also have lots' of that sheet left so thinking where else I can apply it :)

Use brake cleaner. It'll get removed right away. I used on mines and it went away.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Use brake cleaner. It'll get removed right away. I used on mines and it went away.
Thanks. Will it not damage the paint though? I thought break cleaners are too strong?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts