Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new SuperSport was ordered with heated grips but when I looked none were fitted. (so much for PDI...)

I had to hassle the dealer for an explanation and now he tells me none are available till November which is not much use. He's telling me that he can pre-activate them at the first service later this week and I can subsequently install them myself.

Can anybody confirm if this is correct? When I asked the same question re my 2017 Scrambler the UK dealer I spoke to said it was not possible.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Don't know about the activation, but if you ordered something to be fitted to the bike and the Dealer is now telling you to fit them, I would kick up a fuss. Did you pay for them too?

Based on your other post saying that the bike didn't come with the Owners Manual or Service Booklet, I think your Dealer is not on the ball

Reactions: Ed K and LowRyter

·
Registered
573 Posts
My new SuperSport was ordered with heated grips but when I looked none were fitted. (so much for PDI...)

I had to hassle the dealer for an explanation and now he tells me none are available till November which is not much use. He's telling me that he can pre-activate them at the first service later this week and I can subsequently install them myself.

Can anybody confirm if this is correct? When I asked the same question re my 2017 Scrambler the UK dealer I spoke to said it was not possible.
My dealer did this for me. I only had to wait a few weeks for them to be delivered. But the preactivation worked perfectly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

The grips have been paid for, including fitting. Only discovered the omission when I was checking the bike over at home a few days after picking it up. It would be an understatement to say I'm not thrilled with the service I'm getting :-( I just wanted to know others experience before I follow up (and the documentatio issue) with the dealer.

Its a 600km round trip to the dealer. Inevitable for the first service scheduled Thursday but I'm not bloody well going back again just to get the grips fitted and I'm not waiting till November with the bike sitting in the garage either.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If it were me, I'd ask for a refund on the grips and fitting. I bought the OEM heated grips from an online supplier, and fitted them myself. There are threads in here somewhere of how to do it and it really wasn't hard. I even removed them last summer and reinstalled them this winter, as it only takes about half an hour (ish).

But yes - you need to get them activated by a dealer before they'll work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it were me, I'd ask for a refund on the grips and fitting. I bought the OEM heated grips from an online supplier, and fitted them myself. There are threads in here somewhere of how to do it and it really wasn't hard. I even removed them last summer and reinstalled them this winter, as it only takes about half an hour (ish).

But yes - you need to get them activated by a dealer before they'll work.
I'll happily fit them. Have done several bikes. Even made my own. What I want to avoid is a 600km round trip to make them work....

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'll happily fit them. Have done several bikes. Even made my own. What I want to avoid is a 600km round trip to make them work....
If only we could all buy the app or whatever Ducati use to work with our bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, just to close the loop on this, I gave the salesman a hard time and they managed to magic up some grips which were fitted yesterday at the first service. 10/10 for effort. They aren't exactly hot grips (more lukewarm in my opinion) but that's another story.

His explanation for the cock-up (which I accept) is that he didn't think there would be an issue when I ordered the bike back in May and he was on holiday when the bike was prepped.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I know how you accepted the Salesmans explanation, but how does him thinking there wouldn't be an issue when the bike was ordered and being on holiday when it was prepped make any difference? Anyone in the Dealers could have looked at the order and seen what was supposed to be on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know how you accepted the Salesmans explanation, but how does him thinking there wouldn't be an issue when the bike was ordered and being on holiday when it was prepped make any difference? Anyone in the Dealers could have looked at the order and seen what was supposed to be on it.
Yes I agree but in the real world these things happen. They fixed my problem. What would you do now?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes I agree but in the real world these things happen. They fixed my problem. What would you do now?
The question is: are you happy?

This is supposed to be a wonderful experience and not a bloody hassle!!

As for the grips, I have the 950 with the factory grips installed by the dealer. I have 3 different levels of heat and the second is pretty hot… I can’t manage to keep it there too long. You were saying yours were just warm…?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As for the grips, I have the 950 with the factory grips installed by the dealer. I have 3 different levels of heat and the second is pretty hot… I can’t manage to keep it there too long. You were saying yours were just warm…?
That's interesting. That's what I expected.

I rode for half an hour with mine on High without them getting too hot with 15C on the dash. Didn't seem to be much difference between H/M/L. Some of the latest Oxford grips claim to incorporate a 'thermostat'. I wonder if there's something similar on the SuperSport linked to the ambient temp that's stopping them getting hot?

How cold was the weather when yours got too hot on Medium?

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's interesting. That's what I expected.

I rode for half an hour with mine on High without them getting too hot with 15C on the dash. Didn't seem to be much difference between H/M/L. Some of the latest Oxford grips claim to incorporate a 'thermostat'. I wonder if there's something similar on the SuperSport linked to the ambient temp that's stopping them getting hot?

How cold was the weather when yours got too hot on Medium?
4 Celsius

·
Registered
650 Posts
@haylingchrist I hope they didn't install a faulty returned unit, just to get it done for you... ? Your grips are clearly not performing as they should.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where are you located in Portugal @haylingchrist ? I'm planning to move there maybe in a few years. It was supposed to be sooner but life happened, long story. Anyway just curious as to what dealer you're working with for this?
I'm at the Eastern end of the Algarve right next to the Spanish border. There are only 2 dealers in Portugal, in Lisbon and Porto but both the same company. Actually the nearest dealer to me is in Spain in Seville.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts