Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its turning cold now in the UK and I'm thinking of using a heated jacket and gloves on the SS, probably Gerbing or Keis. Any one else using heated kit on the bike already? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Its turning cold now in the UK and I'm thinking of using a heated jacket and gloves on the SS, probably Gerbing or Keis. Any one else using heated kit on the bike already? Any suggestions?
I wired a 3.5 mm coax directly to the battery. I use it for my battery tender and Powerlet heated jacket. The Powerlet can be adjusted to draw 60 or 90 watts. I use it at 90 and control the heat with a Heat Troller. I have heated grips so no need for heated gloves.

A decent base layer, the heated jacket and leathers keeps me comfortable down to 32 F. Any colder and I don't ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I spent a couple of years riding through the UK winter (on my old Honda Crossrunner). I had a Keis heated vest wired to the bike. I plugged the vest into the lead that I used for the battery charger - Various adapters are available to simplify connection. A battery option is available from Keis.

As for gloves, I’ve tried a few options. I tried the Kies inner gloves but found them a bit cumbersome when combined with outers. I tried the Keis heated gloves but I didn’t find the fit & comfort very good - the gloves felt too stiff and a bit low rent, although they did get reasonably warm. The other issue with the Keis gloves (both types) was the extra faffing when connecting them to the wiring harness. Its just more hassle when you’re trying to get off to work.

The best gloves I found was a pair of RST heated gloves which were powered by batteries in the cuff. As well as getting nice & toasty, the leather was nice and soft and they had a plush feeling. The battery is good for around 1.75 hours so was enough for a round trip to work & back. The honda had heated grips & handguards so my pinkies were plenty warm enough even in the depths of winter. The heated vest under my Rukka jacket also did a grand job.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bought a Gerbing heated suit, gloves and pants about 18 years ago and am still using it. I am thinking of upgrading the gloves b/c I feel like I lose a lot of tactile feel with the ones I have. They are too thick and cumbersome for my liking. I also use this suit on my off road vehicles and it's awesome. Most of my vehicles have the wiring hook up on the battery, so it's plug and play.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Mighty consider heated gloves with their own batteries... no wires to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
We used Gerbings liner for several years, then switched to Warm & Safe liners about 5 year ago as they are quite a bit less bulky than the Gerbings. Harness wired directly to the battery with coax plug-in as most others are doing.

Originally used hard wired Heat-troller, but have been using wireless Heat-troller for 7 years with good success. The controller is zip tied to the left handle bar. Here’s a pic I already had that sort of shows the controller. I leave on the bikes all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have not used on the SS but for years I have used and own Keis products. I started with the Inner Gloves but then got the outer heated gloves and connected through 12V socket . You also get the 12V SAE optimate lead use, which is actually better than a cigarette socket, I found the cigarette socket/Connection sometimes bounces out and you have to reset the glove as it loses connection, its only a press of the button but still a pain.
The outer heated glove is so was so much better than the inner gloves. ( inner jacket/bodywarmer and it all connects to the gloves and then to the bike). But to be honest,buy heated grips they are so much better.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Biggest advantage of heated gear is being able to vary the warmth with a simple turn of a knob. Here in the Colorado mountains the temperature can change more than 20 degrees in 20 minutes going over the passes.

·
Registered
409 Posts
@macraige I have used a Gerbing jacket and gloves on my SS. Will the Warm & Safe liner work with my Gerbing controler and gloves?
All 12v controllers work with any piece of 12v clothing. The cheap controllers are simple reostats that put a variable resistance in series with the garment. Increasing the total resistance reduces the amps and therefore the heat. Heat trollers are switches that pulse the power on/off. The resistance and amps stay constant, but the time the power is switched on varies. These types are supposedly better for your battery.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hiway 21 7v battery gloves. Soft, comfy warm.
Gyde 7v battery heated jacket or vest. Both are plenty warm, just depends on whether I feel like I need more arm coverage or not. There is no heating elements in the arms.

My MTS has heated grips, the SS doesn't. I've like heated grips in the past, but they don't help the backs of the hands or my thumbs. While cruising my thumbs and forefingers are usually lightly in touch with the grips, therefore they tend to get cold with heated grips only.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use my Gerbing 12V gear in my off road vehicles more than I do on my SS. I am pretty comfy down to 15 or 20 degrees. My gear is almost 20 years old, so it seems to last a long time. I thought about buying new 12V gloves, but when I tried them on in the store, they didn't seem any better, so I am sticking with my old timers. I did get Gerbing 7V gloves and a vest. They are not nearly as warm as the 12V stuff, but they are still pretty awesome, especially since you don't need to be on your bike to use them.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
Highway 21 heated gloves, thumbs up...

Putting them on in a few minutes for my ride; 47F here today.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
@macraige I have used a Gerbing jacket and gloves on my SS. Will the Warm & Safe liner work with my Gerbing controler and gloves?
Yes, I believe so. Both use coaxial plugs and the Warm & Safe liner has the plugs for the gloves at the end of the sleeve similar to Gerbings, but in a zipped pocket.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts