Ducati SuperSport Forum banner

Hello from Michigan

1K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Triplesapper 
#1 ·
just wanted to say hi. I got 2017 sss with 5k miles on it, still in process of exploring and adjusting everything to fit me on the bike.

#10 ·
Bike is really mint. Initially had some strange things that i didnt know about until i brought it home.
  • there were no rebound clicks when adjusting rear suspension. Took it to authorized Ohlins service, found absolutely nothing wrong with it, just out of nitrogen gas, refilled gas for $20, all good now. No idea why, no leaks anywhere, Ohlins tech thinks it was like this for a while, maybe even empty since bike was new from the dealer
  • clutch feels it has too much play vertically(z-axis), when i pull it in, it's not completely in line with handle bar, goes over (tried adjusting but didnt do anything, i need to post some pictures for suggestions)

And i dropped and scratched seat cove as i was taking it off on day 1 :(

Now that I adjusted everything, suspenssion, levers, rear brake and gear positions, just in time for cold weather to kick in and store it for a while :(

#13 ·
there were no rebound clicks when adjusting rear suspension. Took it to authorized Ohlins service, found absolutely nothing wrong with it, just out of nitrogen gas, refilled gas for $20, all good now. No idea why, no leaks anywhere, Ohlins tech thinks it was like this for a while, maybe even empty since bike was new from the dealer
I also wouldn't put it past the PO letting the nitrogen out either.

Years ago I bought a couple year old WR450F from a guy who ran around his farm chasing cows on it and while picking it up he mentioned something about the suspension being stiff, and letting some "air out of it" and adjusting suspension to which I kind of let go in one ear and out the other. Turns out he had mostly deflated the shock, and I didn't notice it really until a year or so later when I was really riding it and the rear just felt way off. I took the shock in for a rebuild, the shop indicated it was actually in good shape but had no nitrogen in it when it dawned on me that the guy pointed to the reservoir when he said "let the air out".

People do weird things.

#12 ·
I only rode few miles, and since bike is new to me, i didnt have reference for comparison. I was in process of adjusting everything when i noticed no click in rebound adjuster, then i didn't want to ride if something was wrong with suspension. In general suspension felt very slow to return when trying to push it stationary.

#14 ·
I know that bikes are transported 'dry' from the manaufacturers to the dealers - no oils, fluids, fuel etc in them.
So I'm assumming because of shipping restrictions and laws etc, that they are also shipped with no nitrogen in the shock and the Dealer charges the shock with the gas when assembling the bike from the crate?

#15 ·
no idea, but this was what Ohlins tech was kind of thinking that shock was empty since new, no signs of any work on the shock, at 4800miles, still looks brand new. I refilled it 3 weeks ago, i check adjuster clicks every few days to see if there would be change due to leak, but it's been solid.

#17 ·
The last two dealers I have bought bikes from have both said they get shipped dry and said they put the oils etc in themselves? As said, I'm assuming the same about the gas. I stand corrected if this is not the norm.

#18 ·
I would be surprised by that, again by experience, but also without knowing how long a bike will sit in a crate, how would you stop corrosion or other intrusions in a dried out system? How about testing things after assembly, would they fill it all up, test run and test all other functions then drain it all? I’ve seen bikes sit 3 or 4 years in crates (a local dealer had a pile of 2014 MV Augusta F3s a few years ago they only recently sold the last one of) so completely dry would be quite hard on them.

I think your dealers may have been trying to excuse their setup fees which are crazy for what they actually do to a bike, usually a windscreen install and sometimes repositioning the handlebars depending on the crate, or other minor things like mirrors and the batttery. The “new bike” builders are usually the lowest paid, least experienced shop personal because it’s pretty rudimentary work and the expert mechanics make the shop more money when doing actual repairs and using their skills.

I’d be happy to be wrong on this if others have different experiences. I was there when they uncrated my ‘98 Superhawk I bought in winter ‘99 but didn’t take delivery of until spring of 2000. They pulled it out, filled and charged the battery, installed the mirrors, windscreen, filled it with gas, put air in the tires and it was ready to go. Others I’ve bought have been the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.