Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put down a deposit on a new SuperSport S in white. I have a question regarding the paint for current owners. The paint is listed as "star white silk" I am wondering, having only seen the red standard model in person, is the white "silk" color more of a matte finish than the gloss on the red bikes?

I am planning on using this bike as a weekend warrior for spirited riding and also some touring. I have previously toured the entire USA (except Hawaii) on a 1996 Honda CBR900 up until around 2013. I then purchased a used 2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 for more dedicated touring. I toured all around the Great Lakes during Sept and Oct on 2 different trips, and I just never really bonded with the bike. It is smooth, powerful and handles decently well, but it always seemed kind of heavy to me. I mostly camp when I tour so riding in and out of campsites on the ST wasn't making me happy.

I looked at the BMW R1200RS, but I'm not quite ready to give up completely on riding/touring on a sport bike. I was hoping someone had got the touring package up and running by now, but all I have seen on this forum is the semi-rigid side bags. I'm hoping this bike fits the bill.

Thanks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just put down a deposit on a new SuperSport S in white. I have a question regarding the paint for current owners. The paint is listed as "star white silk" I am wondering, having only seen the red standard model in person, is the white "silk" color more of a matte finish than the gloss on the red bikes?

I am planning on using this bike as a weekend warrior for spirited riding and also some touring. I have previously toured the entire USA (except Hawaii) on a 1996 Honda CBR900 up until around 2013. I then purchased a used 2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 for more dedicated touring. I toured all around the Great Lakes during Sept and Oct on 2 different trips, and I just never really bonded with the bike. It is smooth, powerful and handles decently well, but it always seemed kind of heavy to me. I mostly camp when I tour so riding in and out of campsites on the ST wasn't making me happy.

I looked at the BMW R1200RS, but I'm not quite ready to give up completely on riding/touring on a sport bike. I was hoping someone had got the touring package up and running by now, but all I have seen on this forum is the semi-rigid side bags. I'm hoping this bike fits the bill.

Thanks.
Congrats on your purchase! My Supersport S is red, as all Ducati's should be, so I can't comment on the characteristics of the white version. :grin2:
Plenty of info regarding how best to care for and maintain your albino Duc on this forum. Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yes, it is smooth matte. Though I own a red, I saw the white at a trade show.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The white is definitely a matte finish. Congrats on the bike I'm sure you'll enjoy it

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I wouldnt personally call it a sportsbike, close but not quite. But a great bike, a much more rounded all rounder I'd say.

But a stunning bike to ride.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I kept my sport touring bike which is a BMW k1600 GT. I love that bike as it's a wolf in sheep's clothing as they say. I have few mod and it dynos at 185hp. It's the perfect companion to the SSs. Enjoy the new bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats on your purchase! My Supersport S is red, as all Ducati's should be, so I can't comment on the characteristics of the white version. :grin2:
Plenty of info regarding how best to care for and maintain your albino Duc on this forum. Enjoy your new ride!
I agree about the red, and as a rule I don't like a white bike, but something about the white body and red frame and wheels is doing it for me :)

The white is definitely a matte finish. Congrats on the bike I'm sure you'll enjoy it
Thanks.

I wouldnt personally call it a sportsbike, close but not quite. But a great bike, a much more rounded all rounder I'd say.

But a stunning bike to ride.
Just curious as to what you would call a sport bike? It is quite tame in power and ergonomics compared to the hyper bikes of today, but it isn't exactly a Katana lol :grin2:

Welcome to the forums. Not a matte... it's a satin finish ;)
So... I'm getting mixed signals here. It IS a matte finish, a smooth matte finish and now a satin finish. I guess the final decision will have to be made when I see it in person. I have never owned any vehicle including my lawn tractor that wasn't a smooth gloss finish. I guess there is a first time for everything.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Satin is more accurate. It has a slight shine, whereas matte would have no shine.

Got a pic of your CBR? I'm in love with those old brilliantly colored bikes. I want one, but I'm done with aggressive sport bikes, especially carbureted ones.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Satin is more accurate. It has a slight shine, whereas matte would have no shine.
Not exactly correct. Actually, matte and satin are very similar. Flat would have no sheen at all. Satin is kinda a half-gloss, whereas matte is more a quarter gloss...IMO.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Not exactly correct. Actually, matte and satin are very similar. Flat would have no sheen at all. Satin is kinda a half-gloss, whereas matte is more a quarter gloss...IMO.
I'd say a frosty white with just a smidgen of iridescentless Mother of Pearl with a satin sheen would be more accurate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Got a pic of your CBR? I'm in love with those old brilliantly colored bikes. I want one, but I'm done with aggressive sport bikes, especially carbureted ones.
Here is a shot just before I loaded it up for a long trip to Alaska.

This is from the same trip way up in the Yukon

This is my hope for the SuperSport. I don't think I'll be heading out on any month long trips on it, but a week at a time would be great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pics don't show. photobucket hasn't been working with a lot of forums lately.
Here is a shot of my 900RR just before I left for an Alaska trip in 2010
IMAG0103 by Jim, on Flickr
fully loaded for a month on the road up in Yukon Territory
DSC_0668 by Jim, on Flickr

A$$holes are trying to charge $400 a year, now, to use their services. From free to $400 a year with no notice. Scumbags!!
Tried some photos from flickr, don't know if they will work. I see both the photobucket and the flickr photos on my end, so it may or may not be working.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Here is a shot of my 900RR just before I left for an Alaska trip in 2010
IMAG0103 by Jim, on Flickr
fully loaded for a month on the road up in Yukon Territory
DSC_0668 by Jim, on Flickr

Tried some photos from flickr, don't know if they will work. I see both the photobucket and the flickr photos on my end, so it may or may not be working.
Wow, absolutely perfect. I'm not sure I could sell a classic like that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts