Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having spent a few hours browsing, looks like a great owners' forum. Bought a Supersport S last week and very pleased with it. First Duke was a Pantah way back in 1982! Most models since, and am blessed to own my favourite bike of all time, a '93 SP5.

Have reached that point (age) where mind over matter is no longer completely effective regards the old girl's riding position but, hopefully, I'll manage short blasts for a few years yet.

The SS is a different type, of course, and I've really been enjoying its character - made all the better by the riding position.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Great to have you on board. For those of us of tender years the bar risers work a treat. There are various suppliers, I fitted the Ducabike ones.

Any photos to share?

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,580 Posts
Hi Robho and welcome. Adding pictures is incredibly easy since the recent forum software update. You simply click on a picture on your computer and drag & drop it in the text box. It is so easy.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
NIce Pantah with a very non-original paint job. I like the gold frame and red/gold bodywork. Not so keen on the gold engine though. And is that a 888 tucked behind the Lotus?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NIce Pantah with a very non-original paint job. I like the gold frame and red/gold bodywork. Not so keen on the gold engine though. And is that a 888 tucked behind the Lotus?
Yes, a lively paint job ..it was the 80s! I bought it from Jack Lilley in Shepperton, Middx. A haven for Italian bike fans when there were few places to go. I'd wanted a Laverda, but had a wretched test ride... and, having seen my frustration on return, they started the Pantah in the showroom (note the Harris exhaust) and I was sold. I took it out and, after the hefty Laverda, it felt like the proverbial knife through hot butter. The paint job became secondary and, over time, I warmed to it. (Honestly) it was better in real life than the photos. The beginning of a forty year love affair with the marque.

In the background, yes its an 888 SP5.

I had an 888 Strada for 10 years, which I loved, and always thought the SP versions must be overpriced. Had a nasty accident due to a jogger who, since I managed to avoid him, when questioned by the police denied he was even there and, whilst in hospital, I heard of the SP5 for sale. Only the second one I'd known for sale.

Not big, nor clever, but I discharged myself prematurely to ensure I was first at the dealer the following morning. That was August 2013. It was a couple of months before I could ride again and it was with some trepidation when I first set off. The most special motorcycle...and way better than I could have imagined. It stirs the soul every ride.

I think its fair to say it was the last of the genre where you sat 'in' the bike rather than 'on' - ie having your weight placed forward as the subsequent 916. Even so, having reached a 'mature' age, I have to concede the riding position takes its toll. So, for me and the 888, its just short blasts now.

I'm so pleased with the SS, its riding position really is so much more comfortable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eagle eyes!
Small collection of classics ..and notes of use/checks/maintenance etc.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Yes, a lively paint job ..it was the 80s! I bought it from Jack Lilley in Shepperton, Middx. A haven for Italian bike fans when there were few places to go. I'd wanted a Laverda, but had a wretched test ride... and, having seen my frustration on return, they started the Pantah in the showroom (note the Harris exhaust) and I was sold. I took it out and, after the hefty Laverda, it felt like the proverbial knife through hot butter. The paint job became secondary and, over time, I warmed to it. (Honestly) it was better in real life than the photos. The beginning of a forty year love affair with the marque.

In the background, yes its an 888 SP5.

I had an 888 Strada for 10 years, which I loved, and always thought the SP versions must be overpriced. Had a nasty accident due to a jogger who, since I managed to avoid him, when questioned by the police denied he was even there and, whilst in hospital, I heard of the SP5 for sale. Only the second one I'd known for sale.

Not big, nor clever, but I discharged myself prematurely to ensure I was first at the dealer the following morning. That was August 2013. It was a couple of months before I could ride again and it was with some trepidation when I first set off. The most special motorcycle...and way better than I could have imagined. It stirs the soul every ride.

I think its fair to say it was the last of the genre where you sat 'in' the bike rather than 'on' - ie having your weight placed forward as the subsequent 916. Even so, having reached a 'mature' age, I have to concede the riding position takes its toll. So, for me and the 888, its just short blasts now.

I'm so pleased with the SS, its riding position really is so much more comfortable.
SP5, Mmm very nice. There are not many about but a friend of mine has one.
3 years ago I bought a Pantah 500SL in several boxes of bits that fully restored. It was a lovely bike but I just couldn't get on with the riding position nor the heavy clutch mainly due to advancing years so I sold it last year. Here's a pic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That looks stunning. Even now, I can remember the clutch and a very high first gear (could of course have been a difference in the 500/600 models?) I lived in London at the time and it was a far from comfortable in traffic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts