Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Not my actual bike but my first sportbike, 1990 Honda VFR750F. I enjoyed keeping the wheels clean because when they were clean, it was absolutely stunning. I put almost 45,000 miles on mine in just over 3 years, miss it every day……..

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@Miweber929
That VFR is what planted the seed that got me to buy my first brand spanking new 97' 750 SS. always planned to powder coat the wheels white like that VFR, but never did.. left it the stock silver color (only the 900SS got the gold wheels). I think i was too busy riding it and too broke to pay for it. haha

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
@Miweber929
That VFR is what planted the seed that got me to buy my first brand spanking new 97' 750 SS. always planned to powder coat the wheels white like that VFR, but never did.. left it the stock silver color (only the 900SS got the gold wheels). I think i was too busy riding it and too broke to pay for it. haha
I ended up with the VFR because I wanted a Ducati 900SS (or 900SP, it had a carbon fender on it) in like ’95 or ‘96 and drove an hour away with my dad to test ride one a dealership had. When we got there they were doing demos of the “new” triumphs so I rode that 900 while my dad rode a Trident I think, some triple, on their test loop. I liked it the Duc but wasn’t blown away, it was a lazy steerer and the air cooled motor felt like the Yamaha 650 Special I was currently riding. I rode a Daytona after and holy hell that was awesome!!! Was not impressed by the Duc.

Went back home dejected and disappointed as I went there wanting a red Ducati and it didn’t live up to the hype. My local Honda dealer had this ’90 VFR sitting there in perfect shape the owner traded in on a new ST1100. They told me to ride that and i remember thinking that bike was what I wanted: beautiful bike, pulled like a rocket, handled amazingly and looked the part. Enjoyed the crap out of that bike and a string of other VFRs, CBRs, and other Japanese bikes throughout the years. I was always rejecting Ducati even though one of my good friends had an extremely sweet ‘99 996 that was built up by a local Ducati shop that was a fairly well known race shop. I had an ‘01 929RR at the time that was superior in every way (except looks and soul) that I paid literally half of what my friend payed for his. Ducati just didn’t interest me.

Fast forward to August 2018 and I test ride the Supersport S so I could say I tried everything before buying the ‘17 CBR1000RR or MV Agusta F3 800 I was planning on buying and fell in love. Four season later it still makes my heart race in the garage, not to mention riding it.

Reactions: Oldrider

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@Miweber929
agree with all. And had you bought that 900SS, not only would the power been disappointing (relative to the competition that is) you probably would have had to have the dealer pull the heads and re hone the bore along with some oil leak remediation.

too much wine allowed in the 90s Bologna cafeteria methinks.

And to think, I couldn't afford the 900, and couldn't handle anything about the 600. So i settled for the 750.

And rode into the sunset for 50k miles across Europe....

hmmmm my Overpriced Revit Ruby slippers have let me down again...

"There's no place like the Bernino Pass"

"There's no place like Timmelsjoch"

awe £¥<€ 🤬 I thought it was working, it's just my Overpriced Revit boots melting on the 109 degrees Texas asphalt. Guess i'll turn a fan on and clean the white wheels again.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts