Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Gentlemen,

I am sorry and embarrassed to admit but I drop the bike in the parking lot, forgot to put the foot rest :surprise:

The tip of the gear shifter arm broke, the arm seems bend towards the bike.

1) Should I tired to bend back out?
2) If yes, should I tried while the arm is attached to the bike,
3) or should I pulled out and mounted in vise?
4) if in a vise, should I heat it up before attempting to bend it back into shape?

Or should I put a new one.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Can you find a new one? when i dropped my baby and broke the shifter, i just broke off the actual tab that you use to shift with, didn't bend the lever, i looked for aftermarket ones, but couldn't find any. Anyway, i pulled the lever, drilled a hole in the lever where the tab mounts, drilled a hole in the tab, tapped that, then put a bolt through and screwed the tab onto it. I had to grind off most of the bolt head to clear the engine case.

Once aluminum gets bent, it loses structural strength, so to bend it back, you'll probably break it. If you do get a new one, let us know how much it is, i need to eventually get one too.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
If done correctly you should be able to bend it straight again without any problem. Use option 4 use heat and bend it straight. good luck.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi, Gentlemen,

I am sorry and embarrassed to admit but I drop the bike in the parking lot, forgot to put the foot rest :surprise:

The tip of the gear shifter arm broke, the arm seems bend towards the bike.

1) Should I tired to bend back out?
2) If yes, should I tried while the arm is attached to the bike,
3) or should I pulled out and mounted in vise?
4) if in a vise, should I heat it up before attempting to bend it back into shape?

Or should I put a new one.
I forgot to ask, any plastic damage? When i dropped mine, just broke the shifter, no scratches or anything. Seems as if in addition to being faster, the white is also scratch resistant.:D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

One bad day :frown2: I didn't quite have the kickstand down, or rolled forward as it was leaning on it or something and it went over. Luckily I was able to put myself between the bike and the deck :) A bent shifter and the bottom mount of the fairing being the only casualties. (the black rubber wrapped part of the shifter only....if that makes sense....the part that sticks out to the side)

Attached is a pic. I made sure the engine was nice and hot and then used the end of a large crescent wrench to bend it about half way back. I got cold feet and decided I didn't want to risk breaking it as it was in an acceptable position so half way is all I did. The picture is after the bend BTW.

I am giving this, embarrassing, story to let you know that bending and rebending seem to be possible....to some degree :)

Oh, and the worst part of my incident was that Mrs Snowboard Duke heard the kafefe and ran out....witnessing the event so she could be sure to tell anyone who would listen :)

For about a month I was sure that the kickstand was too precarious or defective....and then finally realized that I was just an idiot and didn't have the bike steady when leaning it over :) All on me :) Literally :)

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry to hear about that! I dropped my Monster that way. I almost dropped my SS this week too. Kickstand popped up on me and didn't realize it until it was almost too late. Raw determination kept it from going over - work only one leg available to push it back up.
I suggest getting a new level. I tried to unbend my Monster's pedal using heat and a vise. I was able you replace it myself using the shop manual. Good luck and stay safe!
-j

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would get a new lever preferably

·
Registered
998 Posts
Only try to bend it while still on the bike in an emergency, like you're stranded. Otherwise, take it off the bike. Bending it while on the bike can break the part it's attached to.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you find a new one? when i dropped my baby and broke the shifter, i just broke off the actual tab that you use to shift with, didn't bend the lever, i looked for aftermarket ones, but couldn't find any. Anyway, i pulled the lever, drilled a hole in the lever where the tab mounts, drilled a hole in the tab, tapped that, then put a bolt through and screwed the tab onto it. I had to grind off most of the bolt head to clear the engine case.

Once aluminum gets bent, it loses structural strength, so to bend it back, you'll probably break it. If you do get a new one, let us know how much it is, i need to eventually get one too.
My local Ducati dealer have one for $110.00. No just the tab but the who;e arm, plus $ 40.00 labor, whole cost $ 158.000 including taxes :frown2:

No scorches in the fairing, mirror bent out of the way with no scratches, The black tab at the end of the handlebar and the the knob at the end of the clutch leveler were superficially scratched. I took a bit of the rubber back paint (Flex Seal TM), and with gentle strokes cover them up.

Thank you all for your kind inputs

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I think I'd just have the dealer fix it. $158 doesn't sound too crazy. Good luck, girl. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
433 Posts
My local Ducati dealer have one for $110.00. No just the tab but the who;e arm, plus $ 40.00 labor, whole cost $ 158.000 including taxes :frown2:

No scorches in the fairing, mirror bent out of the way with no scratches, The black tab at the end of the handlebar and the the knob at the end of the clutch leveler were superficially scratched. I took a bit of the rubber back paint (Flex Seal TM), and with gentle strokes cover them up.

Thank you all for your kind inputs
that's pretty reasonable. i would probably save the $40(and the more expensive and time consuming trip to portlandia) and just install one myself, but my repair is holding up well, i think i will wait for an aftermarket one that has the actual toe-piece(i dont know what to call it) that pivots, so as to not break. i got scratches on my bar-end too, forgot about those, but the fast white paint took no damage:grin2:.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I though angels could do no wrong?

Sorry to hear that DA. Maybe the portrayal of angels in Lucifer is more accurate.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I was pushing mine around in the garage and the kick stand must have hit once or so and rolled forward some. I went to set it back down and the stand folded all of the way back and the bike started falling. Luckily my hands were still on it, I've never squated a motorcycle so low (didnt touch the ground) from such a low position myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts