Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from down under, just had first ride on the supersport, it's the Duc I've been waiting for, just right for me. It was the standard model which is all I need, my question is, is the suspension on the s model better or worse or road riding, I'm not planning on track use, my riding is all open road and light touring.

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
From what experts tell me the standard model is more than enough unless you do track days, I bought the STD model, the big thing for me is the brakes got tried on those japanese bikes cheaper brakes and cheaper suspension. Not spending 15-17k just to have good brakes/suspension.

That's my take, good luck.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
From what experts tell me the standard model is more than enough unless you do track days, I bought the STD model, the big thing for me is the brakes got tried on those japanese bikes cheaper brakes and cheaper suspension. Not spending 15-17k just to have good brakes/suspension.

That's my take, good luck.
Strange you have made a comparison with the jap bikes, many of the 1L bikes also use the M4.32 brembo calipers. If you feel you need more braking power then you should change the compound of the pads. Or you can upgrade to the M5 which is also 100mm between the bolts. I suggest doing a bit of research firstly because the operating temperature makes them less or more effective so be sure you get the right pads for what you use the bike for.
The non S and S versions have the same brakes.
I have the Red S and enjoy the suspension but some guys have noted they couldn't really notice the difference. I have not ridden the base model and as such cannot make an opinion. It really comes down to what you use the bike for. If you will be braking hard on the front then the S will be a better option because it's more flexible to adjust the fork settings.
What's new with the brakes on the most popular super sport bikes at EICMA? | Brembo - Official Website
Bear in mind the link demonstrates out n out track bikes where they simply add mirrors and indicators so they can compete in WSBK.
http://moto.brembo.com/en/results/ducati/supersport/939/2017/pads/front
I wouldn't go beyond the SC pads, unless you are seriously hammering the front brakes. Also the SC works better at lower and medium temperatures and therefore gives you that little bite you might be looking for.

Motogp bikes operate from 400 deg C up to around 680 deg C. The normal guy, of which I am one likely operate around 250-300 deg C. Food for thought on selecting the right pad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello from down under, just had first ride on the supersport, it's the Duc I've been waiting for, just right for me. It was the standard model which is all I need, my question is, is the suspension on the s model better or worse or road riding, I'm not planning on track use, my riding is all open road and light touring.

Cheers
The Marzocchi fork and Sachs shock on the base model will be fine for you. It's still adjustable.

I think ohlins is meant to have better front end feel, less dive under hard braking and is a bit firmer to provide better feedback for fast cornering which is great on a smooth track...

Some swear by ohlins, some can't tell the difference. Depends in lots of factors, roads you ride, your weight, how hard you ride etc...

I'd buy the s model for the up/down qs, ohlins for track days and I like the seat cowl single seat look

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I'll echo what others have said...save your money and go for the Standard version. This was my plan initially, however, I wanted the Ohlins this time around, so I went with the S. I've been riding for 28 years and have had Japanese bikes (all non-Ohlins) for all those years and have tracked a few of them...except in 2013 when I bought a standard Hypermotard, not the SP. The standard, like the SS standard has Marzocchi and Sachs. There certainly is a lot of front end dive...dive that the SP version doesn't have. But, that dive happens when running at or above 7/10 of maximum (granted, the Hyper is a much taller bike with more fork travel allowed/expected). Running around town and commuting, I rarely ever felt it...it was smooth and soaked up the public, pothole filled roads with ease. I just decided I wanted the best this time around. Plus, I've not owned a bike with Ohlins before...so this time I splurged. No track days planned, either.

I think you will be more than pleased with the standard. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've wanted Ohlins for years and years and now I have them. It's not that the std bike wasn't more than good enough for me, I'm not a riding god, but I liked the white and at my age I felt that I could treat myself.

Enjoy your supersport, I can recommend the quickshifter though, but you can add that should you choose to.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I've wanted Ohlins for years and years and now I have them. It's not that the std bike wasn't more than good enough for me, I'm not a riding god, but I liked the white and at my age I felt that I could treat myself.

Enjoy your supersport, I can recommend the quickshifter though, but you can add that should you choose to.
I'll echo what others have said...save your money and go for the Standard version. This was my plan initially, however, I wanted the Ohlins this time around, so I went with the S. I've been riding for 28 years and have had Japanese bikes (all non-Ohlins) for all those years and have tracked a few of them...except in 2013 when I bought a standard Hypermotard, not the SP. The standard, like the SS standard has Marzocchi and Sachs. There certainly is a lot of front end dive...dive that the SP version doesn't have. But, that dive happens when running at or above 7/10 of maximum (granted, the Hyper is a much taller bike with more fork travel allowed/expected). Running around town and commuting, I rarely ever felt it...it was smooth and soaked up the public, pothole filled roads with ease. I just decided I wanted the best this time around. Plus, I've not owned a bike with Ohlins before...so this time I splurged. No track days planned, either.

I think you will be more than pleased with the standard. Go for it!

Yeah I'm in agreement with you both. I went for the S for the golden tubes and DQS. Wanted to treat myself a little and plan to keep the SS for many years to come. There are some over 60's here and they still feel comfortable on it so all in all its a good buy.
In terms of marzocchi and sachs, they are top brands too. Don't think for a moment a base model buyer is buying an inferior bike, it's still a great bike.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yeah I'm in agreement with you both. I went for the S for the golden tubes and DQS. Wanted to treat myself a little and plan to keep the SS for many years to come. There are some over 60's here and they still feel comfortable on it so all in all its a good buy.
In terms of marzocchi and sachs, they are top brands too. Don't think for a moment a base model buyer is buying an inferior bike, it's still a great bike.
Yes, I'm one of those over 60's (well over) and I just love the bike.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Cheers
Hello Moses as long as you can achieve SAG then the standard suspension will be fine. I have always been on the limit or under on my previous bikes that's why I am going for the olins i hate buying a new sports bike only to find out that I have to swap out the springs I.e. Most bikes are built for the smaller frame person and I am 6ft 3 and 100 kg + I suspect that I would have to upgrade the suspension anyway. If you are between 70 and 90kg the suspension will be perfect

1 - 10 of 10 Posts