Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of my continuous efforts to justify the cost of my 3D printer to my wife, I made a tail tidy for my bike :grin2: Took a few prototypes and its still kind of in the 'test' phase, but I've finally kinda sorta finished. Test ride hopefully tomorrow. Was fun to design, got lots of solidworks practice, and got it to where is uses the OEM signals and cables so super easy to put back to stock. And that OEM monstrosity had to go!

Any other 3D printers on here?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
@VFL Very nice!

Just a thought, and you may have already considered, but might replace the reflector screw covers with small black caps.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
As part of my continuous efforts to justify the cost of my 3D printer to my wife, I made a tail tidy for my bike :grin2: Took a few prototypes and its still kind of in the 'test' phase, but I've finally kinda sorta finished. Test ride hopefully tomorrow. Was fun to design, got lots of solidworks practice, and got it to where is uses the OEM signals and cables so super easy to put back to stock. And that OEM monstrosity had to go!

Any other 3D printers on here?
Nice work.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How sturdy is this? What plastic line did you use? Could you share the solidworks file? This is pretty nice - great work. If you can't share the file, would you consider making one for a small fee? (PM if so). Thanks!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nice job, 3D printers are so cool!

Seconding the question regarding the durability of plastic. 3D prints can be pretty pretty brittle in my experience but I’m sure that’s depending on what kind of feedstock plastic one is using.

Obviously surface finish will never be great with 3D prints right out of the printer but heard of one way where you expose the finished print to acetone vapours for like 30 seconds which make the surface much smoother (by melting the outermost later basically). Haven’t tried it myself, likely takes some practice to get right without ruining the part.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was thinking this looks like a great starter and then wrap it in some prepreg carbon fiber. It'll smooth it out and add rigidity/strength. Fairly small so should be doable by most home makers.

At the very worst, cover it in tiger hair (fiberglass pre-soaked in epoxy), then sand smooth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking this looks like a great starter and then wrap it in some prepreg carbon fiber. It'll smooth it out and add rigidity/strength. Fairly small so should be doable by most home makers.

At the very worst, cover it in tiger hair (fiberglass pre-soaked in epoxy), then sand smooth.

I'll probably make one of these for free for anyone who will cover it with (real) tiger hair :grin2:

I printed it with an ABS filament; it isn't super strong but I wouldn't say it is flimsy either. It certainly seems strong enough to hold the blinkers and the plate. Time will tell if it holds up well with use.

The surface finish thing.. I'm sure coating it in any sort of resin impregnated fiberglass or cf would certainly make it plenty strong. I personally have never tried the acetone thing on ABS; and I actually heard (on the interwebs) that it makes the prints less strong. I will say that the ABS is anything but brittle though. It will deform before it snaps. PLA is more brittle.. but its also stiffer and **** is it easier to print with. But I did ABS because it has a higher temp and this is attached to a toasty motorcycle.

I might just throw this up on Thingiverse if anyone wants to take a shot at printing it. I'll post a link. I don't know that I'd want to sell them; if someone turns into roadkill because their blinkers fell off, I don't think I'd have the good feels..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You got some talent, brother....some enviable talent. Nicely done!

Very much appreciated :)

Anyone try printing one yet?

If anyone that doesn't have a printer REALLY wants to give one of these a go (and they wanna cover the shipping and maybe some filament and they pinky promise not to haunt me if their blinker falls off and they get squished), message me. It'd be fun to get some feedback

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
...and they pinky promise not to haunt me if their blinker falls off and they get squished....
This is America.

Well, OK...I guess only a slice of “this” is America since there are lots of other nations represented here.

But anyway, this is America where if I spill hot coffee on myself, there’s a judge dumb enough to approve my lawsuit against a major corporation for not warning me that the coffee was hot. I suppose that same judge would honor my lawsuit for emotional turmoil and hardship if the restaurant served me cold coffee, too.

I’d make everyone double pinky-promise and cross their hearts and hope to ....uhhhh.....fly?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts