Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

5 months ago I joined the family and got myself a used 939 at 11.330km done by the previous owner.

Now I'm having a great time riding this bike, went on a tour with a friend and already added another 5.000km to the clock, which brings me to the question:

How much of a lifetime can I expect a 939 to last?

I can't imagine to sell this bike ever again because I like it so much, this wasn't the situation with my previous bikes which I drove for like 20.000km then sold, so I'd love to know how much of a liftime I can expect the Ducati to last until it "breaks"

Are there people on the board that have done high mileages (maybe greater than 50.000km) that could share their experiences about that?

Thx a lot & Cheers,

Dominik

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
There is no reason a properly maintained motorcycle can’t go well over 100,000 miles without a major issue or catastrophic failure. Stay on top of maintenance, keep the engine in clean oil, keep your filters clean and you’ll be just fine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
30K miles (50K km) is not high mileage for any motorcycle that is reasonably well-maintained, not badly abused, and not left idle to rot for months at a time. If you ride it regularly, do the maintenance (or close to it), and don't wheelie a lot or redline it all the time, it should be good for 100K miles (160K km) or more.

Of course, tires, chains, brake pads, oil changes, etc. are to be done as needed. Brake fluid and fork oil and coolant once a year or so. In my experience, at about 50K miles (80K km) or so, you might expect to need clutch plates, valve guide seals, and maybe a new seat, maybe fork seals. At 100K miles (160K km) or so, in addition to the above, you'll be looking at the clutch basket, wheel bearings, brake disks, maybe a rebuild of the fork, maybe a rear shock.

I've seen about 20 Ducatis over 100K miles (160K km), and 3 over 200K miles (320K km). My own M900 Monster got wrecked at 265K miles (425K km), and was still going strong, although I will admit it got a little expensive to run after 175K miles (280K km).

PhilB

·
Registered
35 Posts
The true "life left" of any vehicle is going to be rust. Most of everything on bikes is replaceable, but once a frame rusts it's game over. Even then, some people will say that a fight to revive a bike isn't over.

I would worry less about the end and enjoy more of the beginning.

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
@dmnk.qd Welcome very glad you joined us!

I don’t think we have any Members with 50,000 km yet, but many owners in 30,000 range. And also many here are original owners of the 2017 bike, including me.

·
Registered
467 Posts

I don’t think we have any Members with 50,000 km yet, but many owners in 30,000 range. And also many here are original owners of the 2017 bike, including me.
I just bought a 950 after putting over 60,000 km on my 2018 939. I expect it to take a few thousand miles before the 950 runs as well as the 939.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts

2018. 35,000 km. Still runs like a dream.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
2018 Supersport S and 2020 Monster 1200 S
29 Posts
Coming from a Ducati service center and working with an "old mate" who has played with Duc's for 30yrs ...treat her nice, do right by her and she will love you back just as much.
Common sense is key:
  • Keep her clean! Obvious, I know. Pay attention to fork legs, don't let bugs dry there, they will ruin the fork seals.
  • Chain lube/clean every 500kms and after cleaning (as per chain specs)
  • Drop the oil mid service (every 7500kms), no necessary but will help
  • Get the first Desmo done people, yes it's pricey, but your bike will love you for it. More often than not the first will require adjustment, the following ones are mainly just checks.
  • Annual service is a thing, but you can do it yourself if you are not worried about warranty anymore (that being said, Ducati has something called Goodwill ;) for those taking care of their bikes, not guaranteed but sometimes you'll be surprised)
  • If you are in Australia DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use 98 fuel!!! Especially if the bike will be sitting for extended periods with fuel in the tank.
Hopefully I haven't ranted too much.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Minu, I don't know what 98 fuel is but I bet it means "good gas". The rest of it makes good sense to me.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
We had this question come up years ago when I was riding a BMW.

One famous member from that circle who had been riding bikes a LOOOOOONG time commented that, “splitting the cases and freshening everything up will make it new again”.

So, how long a bike will last is really up to the rider and how much he desires to put into maintenance. I think @BNMCoffee is right in that rust is the ultimate enemy.

We (the global we meaning Ducati factory and riders worldwide) have had a good run with the SuperSport so far which means parts and engines will be around for a while. I suspect some of us will take pride in keeping everything freshened up. I’d like to someday have as many miles on my SS as @PhilB put on his Monster. I just need to stop flogging her on the track.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
@Minu Judging by your posts, you work in a Ducati dealer /servicing centre.

Why don't Ducati release the workshop manual to the public? Is it simply that they don't want people servicing their own bikes?

·
Registered
601 Posts
How many KM have guys got on their bikes with the full Akra system? I'm concerned about the poor fitting Sprint filter that came with these.

Refer to this:

I just emailed Sprint to see if the issue has been addressed. I just bought a new 950S with a full Akra. I really love the look/sound of the exhaust but I'm debating telling the dealer to just leave the OEM exhaust on now...I forgot that exhaust came with this garbage filter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Minu, I don't know what 98 fuel is but I bet it means "good gas". The rest of it makes good sense to me.
Very true, but from what has gone through our workshop 98 Octane fuel seems to not react well to Ducati tank internals. If left to sit it will start to crystalize in the tank and can also break down components like your fuel hoses.

@Minu Judging by your posts, you work in a Ducati dealer /servicing centre.

Why don't Ducati release the workshop manual to the public? Is it simply that they don't want people servicing their own bikes?
Yes, clever guess. I don't know why Ducati don't release manuals - I am assuming it is just corporate bullshit excuse. I can say (and I am ashamed to admit), I have never bothered looking for a manual. I am lucky enough to have it all within the brain of a very good friend, who's letting me be a sponge:ROFLMAO:

How many KM have guys got on their bikes with the full Akra system? I'm concerned about the poor fitting Sprint filter that came with these.

Refer to this:

I just emailed Sprint to see if the issue has been addressed. I just bought a new 950S with a full Akra. I really love the look/sound of the exhaust but I'm debating telling the dealer to just leave the OEM exhaust on now...I forgot that exhaust came with this garbage filter.
I am not sure about the Sprint filter - my girl has full system and I am just about to hit the first Desmo, currently at 28,500km's. By feel I can tell she need's the clearnaces adjusted, outside that I have had each service and mid service oil drops all done sine I have owned her at 9000km's.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I am not sure about the Sprint filter - my girl has full system and I am just about to hit the first Desmo, currently at 28,500km's. By feel I can tell she need's the clearnaces adjusted, outside that I have had each service and mid service oil drops all done sine I have owned her at 9000km's.
Thanks for the info. The full Akra system came with the Sprint filter. How is your oil consumption?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the info. The full Akra system came with the Sprint filter. How is your oil consumption?
Oil consumption is perfect, although as I mentioned, I do mid-service drops at 7500km interval. Never notice it being low when I do.
Off the top of my head I am pretty sure my air filter is stock Ducati, but I haven't had it out yet. If it's not then it will be after my Desmo, perks of the job :)
I haven't heard of the Sprint filter being used much here in my small part of the world.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Oil consumption is perfect, although as I mentioned, I do mid-service drops at 7500km interval. Never notice it being low when I do.
Off the top of my head I am pretty sure my air filter is stock Ducati, but I haven't had it out yet. If it's not then it will be after my Desmo, perks of the job :)
I haven't heard of the Sprint filter being used much here in my small part of the world.
I'd be really curious to know. I'd rather run the OEM filter with the Akra system. The Akra comes with the ECU remap and the Sprint air filter. The dealer told me if I were to run the OEM filter with the Akra and upmap, it would run rich.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The mapping that Ducati provide with the Akra is set for all OEM components - no way they would make you buy someone else's brand. On top of that, it would cause soooo many warranty issues.
That being said, maybe it's just my part of the world that works like this?
I'd be really curious to know. I'd rather run the OEM filter with the Akra system. The Akra comes with the ECU remap and the Sprint air filter. The dealer told me if I were to run the OEM filter with the Akra and upmap, it would run rich.
Did they make you pay for the Sprint filter as a separate thing?

·
Registered
601 Posts
The mapping that Ducati provide with the Akra is set for all OEM components - no way they would make you buy someone else's brand. On top of that, it would cause soooo many warranty issues.
That being said, maybe it's just my part of the world that works like this?

Did they make you pay for the Sprint filter as a separate thing?
No, it literally comes with the Akrapovic full system when you buy that as an accessory from Ducati. If you reach out to the service department of your local dealer I'm sure they'd confirm that. I can't see it being different in other parts of the world. I also doubt they'd have different versions of the Upmap for different configurations. As far as I know, every full system Akra comes with the exhaust itself, the ecu flash, and the Sprint air filter. I confirmed this in 2017 and again in 2021.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No, it literally comes with the Akrapovic full system when you buy that as an accessory from Ducati. If you reach out to the service department of your local dealer I'm sure they'd confirm that. I can't see it being different in other parts of the world. I also doubt they'd have different versions of the Upmap for different configurations. As far as I know, every full system Akra comes with the exhaust itself, the ecu flash, and the Sprint air filter. I confirmed this in 2017 and again in 2021.
Ahhh, sprint must refer to the style of filter then, apologies, I had assumed it was a brand.
All the filters we use on bikes are Ducati OEM, most (bar the MTS) have the same style, those ridges with fine mesh. Standard part numbers too. Never had a problem with a lack of proper fitment.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Ahhh, sprint must refer to the style of filter then, apologies, I had assumed it was a brand.
All the filters we use on bikes are Ducati OEM, most (bar the MTS) have the same style, those ridges with fine mesh. Standard part numbers too. Never had a problem with a lack of proper fitment.
Sprint is a brand. It must be a partnership with Ducati, similar to their partnership with Akrapovic. I just purchased a new 2021 Supersport and and Akrapovic system. The tech confirmed it still comes with the Sprint filter and an ecu remapping as it did back in 2017.

They look something like this:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts