Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my SSS and use it for everyday use, trackdays and at least a couple of longer trips each year.
So far it has served me well.
All the touring guys I ride with are using GS, KTM adventues, vstrom etc...I get some comments from them each time, but they all think that the SS is the most beautiful bike of the bunch :ROFLMAO:
But I have managed to make the trips with no special problems except a bit tired in my arms and legs. Longest trips so far has been 4 days and 1700km.

Next year we are planning a longer trip. 3500-4000km from Oslo to Germany. I am thinking maybe I should at least think about trying a Multistrada to see if this could be a better bike for something like this....But I don't think I want to change bikes lol

So the question is, what is the longest trip you have had with your SuperSport?
How was the experience?

Registered
2700km back in 2018 when I bought it. Other than 3 hours in the pouring rain the first night it was good. The bike was comfortable enough for me at the time. We used the Airbnb oven to dry our gear the next morning lol. Only 1 speeding ticket too 馃榿

Attachments

Registered
As told here, 3500 miles earlier this summer on the new 950SS. First part was 1100 miles of major highways/interstate in 2 days (500, 625mi). No issues, and surprisingly not sore. I wore Mesh Dainese gear, and concentrated on maintaining hydration. I covered fewer miles per day on the 2000 miles home later in the trip (average 350-400mi per day), as I was on smaller, twisty, FUN mountain roads.

I have also done a 5 day trip (~1500 miles) into the mountains of Arkansas on the 950SS (400 miles of straight & boring roads on either end (both in the rain), and 350 mile days of mountain roads in between.

Spectacular bike for both trips- I wouldn't want anything bigger or heavier. I plan to take a 2 week trip to the NW USA next summer (~4k miles?).

Some people would absolutely be more comfortable sitting upright on the Multi, and using that cruise control, but I find the ergo's of the SS perfect (don't like looks of Multi/dualsport or ergo's of any bike sitting bolt upright). On the wonderful, super tight named roads in the Smokies & Appalachian mountains, the light & tossable Ducati was much more fun than my previous, heavier K1300- this Ducati is definitely the best bike I have owned for sport touring. My only wish would be for automatic cornering lights. I fit everything I needed in the panniers, without ever expanding them.

Here is the thread on my trip: Appalachia Trip Summer, July 2021

John

Registered
I have done 3 trips to Montana from Las Vegas on a SuperSport. The trips were about 3000 mi in 6 days. I also did the same trip on a Multistrada 1260S. The biggest advantage that the MS has is more luggage capacity with a top box and cruise control. The SuperSport is better for hot weather as you will get more airflow into a textile jacket, but you will get more bugs on your face shield.

Registered
I鈥檓 September 2019 I did 5500kms (3400miles) over nine days. Vancouver to Zion National Park. Didn鈥檛 plan on going that far but weather was bad and it was better south. Met up with my buddy from San Francisco in West Wendover and then parted ways in Nevada somewhere. Was a great season ended trip and the last time rode the USA. Miss it.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Motorcycle

Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Vehicle
Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Motorcycle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

Registered
1400 miles 6 days (5 days riding) NJ, Maryland - West Virginia, Kentucky (bourbon trail) and back. Was 74掳F the day before we headed back from Lexington, and 35掳F and snowing the next day. Thankfully not cold enough to stick to the pavement. It was enjoyable on my SSS, but was glad there were no additional days at the end. Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Land vehicle

Registered
3500 miles over an 8 day interval. Longest days were 550 miles. Great bike, but not as comfy as my VFR 1200 for droning on straight flat boring roads. Much better in the curves. Love the bike after fitting a throttle locker. Really needs a cruise control for touring rides
It鈥檚 a perfect lightweight mostly comfy sports tourer with an emphasis on sport

Registered
3500 miles over an 8 day interval. Longest days were 550 miles. Great bike, but not as comfy as my VFR 1200 for droning on straight flat boring roads. Much better in the curves. Love the bike after fitting a throttle locker. Really needs a cruise control for touring rides
It鈥檚 a perfect lightweight mostly comfy sports tourer with an emphasis on sport
Which throttle locker did you install?

Registered
I tried 3 different kinds; a vista cruise which I鈥檝e always used on my other bikes but didn鈥檛 work on the SS because it is ride by wire; then a big clamp that looks like a giant clothes pin. Ugly and awkward to use and my last one worked great and actually worked very well on my last 2000 mile trip, bought it from Amazon
Motorcycle Throttle Lock Cruise Control Handlebar Plugs Grip Bar End Caps

Registered
I tried 3 different kinds; a vista cruise which I鈥檝e always used on my other bikes but didn鈥檛 work on the SS because it is ride by wire; then a big clamp that looks like a giant clothes pin. Ugly and awkward to use and my last one worked great and actually worked very well on my last 2000 mile trip, bought it from Amazon
Motorcycle Throttle Lock Cruise Control Handlebar Plugs Grip Bar End Caps Slider Set ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MQDWF3J/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apip_tJiImOwY9akg7
Awesome, appreciate the details. Any pics of it installed?

Registered
I've had luck with the clothespin throttle lock. (y) Very simple, inexpensive and easy to adjust on the road.

Those thumb locks usually need adjustment whenever needed, then the rider has to pull over and use an allan key and hopefully there's enough slack left for adjustment. (n)

I've not tried the bar end lock, it looks trick. :geek:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts