Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yes, I did upgrade the spring. Also I now have the full Akrapovic exhausts. Which needed the upgraded rear pegs and a slight mod to accommodate the Ventura pack rack
Which part did you modify to make the rack fit with the exhaust? I'm interested in possibly doing the same. Do you leave the rack on all the time or just install it for longer trips? How much work is it to put on and off?

Edit: just seen your post in the other thread. Don't worry about explaining the mod all over again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did 2000km over 6 days recently carrying all the stuff needed in the Ducati (Givi) panniers and a tank bag.

I don't think distance covered is the best measure of the SS as a tourer - it's more about saddle time, or specifically how long you can ride it in reasonable comfort. I frequently do 5 hour day trips, excluding stops, just for fun, occasionally ending with slightly uncomfortable wrists and arse. 5 hours is a good duration out for a day ride or touring, as you can take a break every hour and a quarter and enjoy the whole day, and I could happily do this for day after day on a tour.

The most saddle time i have done is six and a half hours, mostly on curvy roads, by which time my right wrist had definitely had enough and I was cursing Ducati for not including a cruise control to give some periodic relief. Left wrist is no problem and wrist ache is less of an issue on twisty roads than it is on motorways where you maintain a fixed position.

I have done a lot of touring in the UK and Europe in the last ten years mostly on the BMW R1200R (naked roadster with sport screen) with a more upright riding position. I find the stock Ducati seat is just as comfortable over a day as the BMW seat which I had to have re-padded. I tour with friends on their BMW GS's who find their seats no more comfortable over a long day. I get fewer incidents of cramp in my ageing hips than on the BMW because its ergomomics are well suited to shorter riders. The full fairing is quieter and the screen provides better wind protection - usually leave it low. The riding position allows relaxed shoulders and avoids the tension I get with higher bars. The tapered seat makes it easy to get my feet down securely and is big enough to allow me move around e,g. sit back at speed or forward in town to restribute the load on my ass and thighs. So all in all I find the SS more comfortable as a solo tourer than my BMW and more involving and rewarding as a sports bike. It is however more tiring to ride long distance because the engine is not so flexible and chilled as a large boxer twin , there is more mechanical and exhaust noise and you change gear a lot more.

I intend to test ride the new Mutistrada 950 because I need a two-up tourer tourer with more space and comfort for a pillion and the ability to carry a top box or luggage rack. I would also welcome the cruise control, and mainstand to help with lubing the chain. However as a solo rider I am very happy to tour on an SS.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I don't think distance covered is the best measure of the SS as a tourer - it's more about saddle time, or specifically how long you can ride it in reasonable comfort. I frequently do 5 hour day trips, excluding stops, just for fun, occasionally ending with slightly uncomfortable wrists and arse. 5 hours is a good duration out for a day ride or touring, as you can take a break every hour and a quarter and enjoy the whole day, and I could happily do this for day after day on a tour.
That's a good point. My max is 14 hours on a trip from Calgary to Vancouver. There was unexpected road construction on the highway. That was 3 years ago and was no problem. Not sure how my body would like that now...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excellent experiences in this thread! Thank you for sharing them. It is my dream to buy such a bike and ride it around the country.
The bike both looks cool and can be a great means of transport. The only thing that confuses me is what you do when there is rain or the weather is just too cold. I used to travel by train before, and there were no such difficulties. I used to buy tickers from dbfahrplan.com and just go somewhere.
But, if I decide to travel by bike, I will have more freedom on the one hand and less comfort on the other

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Thanks for all replies guys..
For some reason I was unsure if the SSS was the right bike for the trip I had planned.
But I am happy to say that I came home yesterday from my greatest trip ever and everything worked fine!
7 days, 3300km, 6 countries, beer and bratwurst in Germany, pizza in Italiy, Romatische strasse, Stelvio, Timmelsjoch +++
This trip will be hard to beat for me 😀

I agree with DaveD that distance covered is not the best measure of the SS as a tourer. Saddle time and type of road has a lot to say.
The toughest day on the trip was actually the shortest in distance. A lot of hairpin turns in the mountains and small roads in small towns. But also the most fun!!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Helmet Motor vehicle
Plant Mountain Natural landscape Slope Highland
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Land vehicle

Sky Cloud Smile Plant Public space

Sky Cloud Plant Property Mountain

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
209 Posts
An average of ~470 km per day can be pretty rough. Depends on the road though. My highest in a single day with the SS was 600 km through the Spessart in Germay, of which 150 km were arrival and departure over the Autobahn. It was doable, but I was pretty sore the next day and I really wouldn't have wanted to do the same again on that day.
On the first weekend in July, I will have my first ever multi-day trip with a motorcycle. Really looking forward to it. It'll be rather short though, maybe 1100 - 1200 km over 3 days.

Reactions: Ed K and kokla55

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
About 750 mile round trip to Barber Vintage Festival and back, a few years ago on the 939 SS. Does not compare to distances you guys have done! Plan to ride a gain, on the 950 SS (Red Tail) with a few friends. I use a Kaoko throttle lock.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
209 Posts
If ok to ask, which one is you in the pic?
Going by the jacket worn on the bike, he's the one on the left of the group picture :D

@kokla55 could you keep up with the ZH2? ;)
Idk how fast your group was, but depending on the others the SS might've had to stretch its legs a bit, being the "weakest" bike in the pack.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@kokla55 Nice trip! Any video you might also share?

I see a K12 (that I owned for 10 years and rode all over the Western US and Canada) and what looks like a K13. Also perfect for that type of trip!

If ok to ask, which one is you in the pic?
Thanks, Ed :)
Yes, I have about 7hours of 360 video to edit :eek::)
I'll put in a link when it is finished :)

One of the guys changed out his K13 to a GS for this trip. His conclusion was that he missed the K13 :)
His GS started to wobble when we were driving over 170km/h. It was fun with Autobahn in Germany without speed limits!
I maxed out about 239km/h. Maybe not to smart with all that luggage.....

I'm the only one with black hair 😀

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Going by the jacket worn on the bike, he's the one on the left of the group picture :D

@kokla55 could you keep up with the ZH2? ;)
Idk how fast your group was, but depending on the others the SS might've had to stretch its legs a bit, being the "weakest" bike in the pack.
Correct about the jacket :)

Only place I couldnt keep up with the ZH2 was Autobahn.. I think he was driving about 260km/h..
But they could not keep up with me on the turns in the mountains.
The SS LOVES turns!!

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
209 Posts
One of the guys changed out his K13 to a GS for this trip. His conclusion was that he missed the K13 :)
His GS started to wobble when we were driving over 170km/h. It was fun with Autobahn in Germany without speed limits!
I maxed out about 239km/h. Maybe not to smart with all that luggage.....
On the Autobahn /Highway the GS kinda suck at high speeds.
But in the twisty bits, those hunking 250 kg of metal and rubber can rip you a new one.
Had some cornering training on a track two weeks ago and the only one I could not get of my tail was a R1250 GS. Idk if the driver was really good or if the bike kinda made it easy for him, but at this point we already lapped a 2004 R1, a 2008 ZX10R (some corners were probably too tight for those two), a 2021 MT09 (the driver was a slowpoke) and some other bikes from our group.
I then let the GS pass to see if he can get away - he couldn't. But I couldn't catch him either.

Anyway, my SS tops out at 244 km/h on the Autobahn, that was full tuck behind the wind screen - but with a backpack on my back.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts