Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Apart! What are you doing to it?
Improving it, maybe? :confused: I hope. Naw, just started to swap top triple clamps to mount touring bars, and realized it was going to a P.I.T.A. getting to the center pinch bolt. Then had to turn my attention to the house, which we just contracted to sell in the next few weeks. You know, inspections, repairs, paper work, imminent homelessness...the usual.

I am doing another trackday in 10 days, so touring mods will have to wait until that's over. So, put it back together, and hope the shift lever arrives in time to have a shot at GP Shift this time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just installed this in 10 minutes tops! So, why haven't the bikes come like this from factory? The slop is virtually gone, I credit to the person behind this for coming up something so simple, but genius.

Silly me, I didn't realize the bit included was the tri-wing, thought it was just the standard #2 Philips bit. Oh well, now I have a full set of security bits. $30 well worth it to me.

.ck

·
Registered
94 Posts
"Slop in the throttle"? Oh, do you guys mean "free play", which is supposed to be there?

Honestly, I don't even notice it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
"Slop in the throttle"? Oh, do you guys mean "free play", which is supposed to be there?

I tried to explain this to them for days but they are lost beyond our reach...

I admit, removing the freeplay, which may not be usefull with ride by wire, is kind of cool, but nothing magical about feeling whatsoever while riding.

Reactions: Hugg727

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #150

We are referring to free-play. Seems like some of like it and some dont. To me it makes the throttle more exact, like when I am at a red light and when I take off the response is instant. The lack of having to blip due to the DQS probably reduces the need for some.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Now we're getting somewhere! :wink2:

Next step: rename the thread "How to adjust the free play in the throttle to factory specs". :grin2:
Sorry guys, call it what you will, it's still 'slop'. >:) 'Free play' is a necessary allowable space to avoid unwanted input from controls, prolonged contact between interacting parts, stress on bearings etc. Slop is unnecessary and unwanted space.

Chains, cables, tappets, bearings etc have specified 'free play'. There is a specified minimum and maximum for example on your chain, valve train etc. e.g. too little play in your valve train and the valves don't seat fully, causing loss of compression and burnt valves. Too much and the valve doesn't open fully.

A manual throttle's free play is adjustable in several ways with a simple threaded fittings. RBW does away with this. Many Ducati riders of this and other RBW models state that the Ducati factory 'free play' is simply excessive. Who chose this play? Not a rider, apparently.

Those riders who are taking out the slop are addressing 'too much' free play here. This causes imprecise throttle control off idle. If you use the throttle like an ON-OFF switch then it's not a problem, but if a rider strives for smoothness or precision then it's an annoyance.

Again, I ask. If you don't personally feel the need to "get rid of that slop in the throttle", then why even pursue a thread with that name? It clearly bothers people on some level. Is it offensive to the myth of Ducati perfection? Is there a concern for one's safety? Legality? What?? Why does anyone care what someone else prefers? :confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Now we're getting somewhere! :wink2:

Next step: rename the thread "How to adjust the free play in the throttle to factory specs". :grin2:
Where are the specs, and where are the adjusters? Amazing that this topic arouses controversy. Riders were expected to adjust their controls long before I climbed on a bike. Taking away adjustability is the first step to Fascism!! >:)

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Sorry guys, call it what you will, it's still 'slop'. >:) 'Free play' is a necessary allowable space to avoid unwanted input from controls, prolonged contact between interacting parts, stress on bearings etc. .

Again, I ask. If you don't personally feel the need to "get rid of that slop in the throttle", then why even pursue a thread with that name? It clearly bothers people on some level. Is it offensive to the myth of Ducati perfection? Is there a concern for one's safety? Legality? What?? Why does anyone care what someone else prefers? :confused:
Mercer that slop remover gadget makes it unsafe. Throttles need that bit of play when used on public roads. In this forum opinions are allowed hey, it is an online community and in our human nature we try to help and advise others to minimise risk. Even though we don't particularly take criticism lightly its in our nature to help others. Frankly if no one warned about using it on public roads that would be vindictive.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Slop is unnecessary and unwanted space.
I don't agree with you, here, as it pertains to this issue. I think the thread is appropriately named, now, not before. I don't find the throttle free play as "unnecessary and unwanted" at all.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My brain hurts

Mercer that slop remover gadget makes it unsafe. Throttles need that bit of play when used on public roads. In this forum opinions are allowed hey, it is an online community and in our human nature we try to help and advise others to minimise risk. Even though we don't particularly take criticism lightly its in our nature to help others. Frankly if no one warned about using it on public roads that would be vindictive.
You don't want it? Don't buy it, but Safety? A red flag we cannot ignore. Can someone

1) Please share the reports of properly installed spacers causing accidents. The notion that a sloppy throttle somehow enhances safety hurts my brain. :confused:

If I'm lucky, someday a TV lawyer might offer me a chance to get rich by suing the spacer company, if I survive that long. >:)

2) Tell us exactly how much play is needed, and what does public roads have to do with throttle slop? I never had a sloppy throttle before, and, yes, I was on public roads.

Just because the throttle is sloppy doesn't mean there must be a good reason for it...it couldn't just be simply a 'sloppy' design? 'Erring on the side of safety' is still erring. An excuse for mental laziness :wink2:

OK, enough logic. Here's a video review by a Canadian Panigale rider who approaches orgasm over his newly installed spacer kit. :grin2:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't agree with you, here, as it pertains to this issue. I think the thread is appropriately named, now, not before. I don't find the throttle free play as "unnecessary and unwanted" at all.
I'm happy the factory didn't design out that free play for those who like it. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I gave in and ordered one with a $5 discount. Hope im not disappointed. Im primarily looking for better control on really low revs and maybe with blipping

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just installed the spacers. I am not sure how i feel about them. They do what they are supposed to do. Not sure if it was necessary but I got them with the $5 discount. The company ended up sending me two sets for some reason. If anyone wants the second set for half the price I'd be happy to split the cost with them $12. Message me.

141 - 160 of 185 Posts