Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overall this bike is awesome. It’s what a street bike should be. So much fun to ride, a head turner everywhere, nice sound and comfort are all above standard.
BUT, last night I go out for a ride to get gas ;). I was itching to get out. So I go fill up with 93 Octane V Power gas at Shell. It was around 8:15, so I decided to go to a nearby spot to watch the sunset. Now it’s 8:50 and dark. What I don’t like is the headlight system. I rarely ride at night but I thought the angle could be wider and brighter. I kept the brights on the whole time. I will say this, it’s much better than my Husqvarna 701 SM. The only bike I truly thought that had a good headlight(brightness and angle) was my Road King in 05(yes I had one, long story).
Does anyone else fee the same? Are there mods out there?

Side note, is it normal when riding for the riding modes to blink? If I’m in sport mode, as I’m riding all 3 modes come on the dash and blink.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Yeah, the headlights are not the greatest. If you’re a serious commuter, it’s only natural you consider adding some small but powerful aux lights to the front binders. I think there are only a few of us who have this on his list of desired mods. Most folks prefer to not to disturb the bike’s appearance. There has been some discussion on replacement bulbs (HID and LED) but I don’t know if anybody has arrived at a suitable solution.

Regarding the flashing ride modes, you must be inadvertently mashing the left indicator control at some point. Only once is required to turn it off when the indicator is active. Mashing the button again will pull up the option to change your ride mode. That still happens to me periodically as I mash the button out of habit to double ensure I’ve turned off my indicator.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Haven't ridden in the dark yet with mine, but in general I expect the headlights to suck given the size. As for the modes blinking, you probably hit your signal cancel button when the signals weren't on. I used to do this all the time with other bikes to double and triple check that I'm not riding with a signal on....but on this bike because the signal cancel button also doubles for a "select" button you have to be careful to only cancel those signals once. If you hit the button when signals aren't on it thinks you want to cycle through the modes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I did the simple upgrade of fitting Osram Nightbreakers - vastly improved the night time riding capabilities, and the colour now matches the DRL. There is a good discussion on here about fitting LEDs. I didn't take this route as the reflector is not specifically designed for them although every vehicle I have had them on is a vast improvement over 'old' style filament bulbs.
Maybe the next model update will get them...
I occasionally mash the indicator button myself and get the flashing thing - I ignore it and it stops flashing after a few seconds. Very much my clumsy thumb causing that one...

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I ride my in rural areas in the dark - I live in the Adelaide Hills and it's part of my commute.

I replaced my headlight globes with one of those 150% mote light replacements. My auto sparky has told me not to go for the cold white/ blue globes, they are for looks. You need a globe with the right colour temperature. Even so, I wasn't that impressed but I ran the bike up to a wall, marked the centre of the light, and rolled the bike back. The high beam was aimed far too low.

Once readjusted the bike is OK to ride relatively quickly on unlighted roads. The reflector, however, doesn't do much during cornering. No globe will fix that.

I now check the headlight alignment when I set the suspension. It doesn't take much for the light to be less than optimal. Once set, however, you soon get used to where high beam should be on your garage wall (or wherever) so checking is easy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have two gripes (apart from the bike would benefit from a tad more power ;) ) ......................When I'm manoeuvring the bike by walking at the side of it or 'paddling' it when sitting on it, my thumb gets trapped between the bars and the tank when turning at full lock.

The second gripe is the amount of false neutrals I hit with the QS despite being firm with the gear lever. This has put me off so much that I very rarely use the QS.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have two gripes (apart from the bike would benefit from a tad more power ;) ) ......................When I'm manoeuvring the bike by walking at the side of it or 'paddling' it when sitting on it, my thumb gets trapped between the bars and the tank when turning at full lock.

The second gripe is the amount of false neutrals I hit with the QS despite being firm with the gear lever. This has put me off so much that I very rarely use the QS.
Your QS really should work much better than that. I have had the odd false neutral in over a year of operation, but it's really rare, and I'm out on it a lot...

·
Registered
942 Posts
That still happens to me periodically as I mash the button out of habit to double ensure I’ve turned off my indicator.
I do that too. Now I hit the left or right blinker then immediately push the button to stop the blinker, every single time. This habit prevents me from setting off the riding modes option. I know it doesn't matter, but it just bothers me to see that option on the screen.

Ducati engineers really should have thought better than to use that button for this. Good engineering is about adapting technology to regular human habits.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
...The second gripe is the amount of false neutrals I hit with the QS despite being firm with the gear lever. This has put me off so much that I very rarely use the QS.
I found adjusting pedal (toepeg) height made a real difference. I then swapped the shift lever for a CNC racing unit with adjustable toepeg length on the lever and found it even better. 1 turn either way of the shift mechanism is all it needs. I even notice a difference depending on the boots I'm wearing. Thicker sole or toe protector will make a difference so I try to wear the same boots each time I ride after adjusting.

The give away is where are the false neutrals? If it comes when you are riding along your lever is too high. The quickshifter will reduce load on the drivetrain, allowing it to move but because you are not trying to change gear the slight pressure on the lever just moves the selector between gears. If the lever is too low, you won't be able to move your foot up firmly enough to change up a gear and find neutral that way. I think you can avoid the neutrals when using the clutch because it is a more planned movement, rather than a toe jab when you use the DQS.

It gets better as it gets older, and an oil change can make a difference as well, particularly in finding neutral at a standstill. Go figure, you cant find neutral when you want but its easy when you don't want neutral.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
I gotten a few neutrals when downshifting from high speed (6th to 5th) which I suspect is caused by me not being aggressive with my foot.

That said, what is really a problem is when I’m rolling to a stop and downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear via DQS and bike surges unexpectedly. I’ve had it happen maybe a dozen times in 9k miles. Just happened again last weekend. Really dangerous, not sure why it’s happening, one of these times I’ll end up in the rear of the car in front of me.

Anyone else have this happen? Any idea why?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I found I have to be aggresive with my left foot above 4th gear. I have a feeling it works smoothly with minimum half of revs. In 99% I don't use DQS below 3rd gear. In my guts I also see improvement when downshifting in the same moment I'm releasing gas. It has a "barbarian" behaviour, I read about new BMW F 900 R and after 3 years with our bikes even Germans didn't improve "DQS" in their 2020 model.

·
Registered
2020 SuperSport Ti
37 Posts
I rode BMW F900XR and the QuickShifter was terrible. Very rough gear changes with every gear. Compared to it, our DQS is flawless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ride my in rural areas in the dark - I live in the Adelaide Hills and it's part of my commute.

I replaced my headlight globes with one of those 150% mote light replacements. My auto sparky has told me not to go for the cold white/ blue globes, they are for looks. You need a globe with the right colour temperature. Even so, I wasn't that impressed but I ran the bike up to a wall, marked the centre of the light, and rolled the bike back. The high beam was aimed far too low.

Once readjusted the bike is OK to ride relatively quickly on unlighted roads. The reflector, however, doesn't do much during cornering. No globe will fix that.

I now check the headlight alignment when I set the suspension. It doesn't take much for the light to be less than optimal. Once set, however, you soon get used to where high beam should be on your garage wall (or wherever) so checking is easy.
@theresanothersteve you must have the most awesome rides in the Adelaide Hills, super-jealous!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts