Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planned to keep it for a bit, or at least until my Streetfighter arrives. That plan changed when a buddy asked to buy my SuperSport, and circumstances conspire for him to pick the bike up and take it half way across the country when out here for business. I'm happy to sell it to him because I really wanted the SS to go to a good home where it'll be well taken care of, but it's really sad to see it go; hands down, this is the most attached to a bike I've ever gotten. It hurts more, considering I don't know when I'll actually get my Streetfighter now that the situation in Italy has gotten so dire. I'll miss this little beauty.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Bittersweet seems like the right word here. Will you be sticking around the forum?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Ace, I think you need to clean out your bong....the dirty water is starting to affect your judgment, mate.

I hope you don’t progress to hardcore substances and leave the forum.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ace, I think you need to clean out your bong....the dirty water is starting to affect your judgment, mate.

I hope you don’t progress to hardcore substances and leave the forum.
Hey, if you're going to be killed on a motorcycle then you may as well be obliterated, know what I mean?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You and most of us would be pretty interested. But I'd be happy with the same bike I have + 25 more horses.
Yeah realistically a 1260 SS would fit the mold more cleanly. It seems silly to say my 939 isn't fast enough because 95% of the time it is, but having a few more ponies would not go amiss. I also like how thin the twin cylinder configuration allows the bike to be.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem is, the bike you describe would be well over $20,000 to buy. You may think that's OK, but many others would not. Part of the SS "magic" is its price point.
I agree that part of the magic of the SS is the relatively low price, but I would love to have the range broadened a bit. It works on the Monster platform where the 1200 has the TFT interface, the nicer controls, hydraulic clutch (I think...) more advanced safety pack, et al. That bike in S form is not inexpensive, but you can still buy a brand new Monster for less than $10,000, and I think that same modality would work with the SS. It's such a great form factor and that style of can haul ass as well as the groceries really appeals to people. I was alone with my SS in Connecticut when I first bought the thing (pre-ordered, same as my new Streetfighter) and though it didn't happen overnight, the popularity of that series has really grown; I don't see a huge amount of Ducati motorcycles on the road, but when I do it's either a Monster or, increasingly, a Supersport. If the market can support the variety, then why not offer it? If a 1260 Supersport existed, I don't know that I'd have bought the Streetfighter V4.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree that part of the magic of the SS is the relatively low price, but I would love to have the range broadened a bit. It works on the Monster platform where the 1200 has the TFT interface, the nicer controls, hydraulic clutch (I think...) more advanced safety pack, et al. That bike in S form is not inexpensive, but you can still buy a brand new Monster for less than $10,000, and I think that same modality would work with the SS. It's such a great form factor and that style of can haul ass as well as the groceries really appeals to people. I was alone with my SS in Connecticut when I first bought the thing (pre-ordered, same as my new Streetfighter) and though it didn't happen overnight, the popularity of that series has really grown; I don't see a huge amount of Ducati motorcycles on the road, but when I do it's either a Monster or, increasingly, a Supersport. If the market can support the variety, then why not offer it? If a 1260 Supersport existed, I don't know that I'd have bought the Streetfighter V4.
I, too, wish the SS could be updated with a TFT dash, electronic cruise and working mirrors, but adding a big engine would certainly increase the price well beyond the current machine. Ducati must divert their engineering attention where the sales (and profits) are and the SS just hasn't moved the needle enough, so we can expect few changes other than colors to emerge. I think the market has spoken, whether we like it or not.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes it would increase the price, but the quality of the SS would stand a price hike for a more powerful version. Like they do with the Monster range.

So saying that the sales aren't great...is that because they don't offer a power option? Yes. If there was a version of the SS with 150+ bhp, I reckon sales would be more than double. I'd have one now if there was.

The SS has the handling, the looks, the touring ability, the handling (I know...but it deserves saying twice) to carry it off. In my experience it's comfier that the Multistrada...it could well be the perfect bike. If you're happy with 113bhp, and not 6'10", then it likely is the perfect bike.

I can't understand why they didn't touch it last time round. I'm hoping they do this year.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yes it would increase the price, but the quality of the SS would stand a price hike for a more powerful version. Like they do with the Monster range.

So saying that the sales aren't great...is that because they don't offer a power option? Yes. If there was a version of the SS with 150+ bhp, I reckon sales would be more than double. I'd have one now if there was.
If Ducati marketing operates like other manufacturers, they have already taken a look at more power for the Supersport line and decided that their efforts would deliver better sales/profit results elsewhere. I'm sure you recognize that a 1260 SS would put it in direct competition with the Multistrada, as the pricing most likely would increase, along with the performance, to that bike's level, limiting its attraction to many potential buyers. It's certainly a management judgement call, as it wouldn't be too tough to make this happen from a parts standpoint.

·
Registered
309 Posts
SS / Multi...I've had 2 1200 Multi's - one while I had my SS, and another one since. I've come to realise that the Adventure style isn't for me. I prefer the more sporting position of the SS.

I've just traded my 1200 Multi against a BMW S1000RR (previous model) - should have collected it on Tuesday from the dealer 320 miles away...booked the day off work. Then Monday night UK was forced into lock-down Now I don't know when I can pick it up.

I don't see the SS as being in competition with Multi's. If Ducati did, then why did they introduce the 950 Multi?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don't see the SS as being in competition with Multi's. If Ducati did, then why did they introduce the 950 Multi?
You don't think a 1260 SS would compete on the Ducati showroom with a 1260 Multi at roughly the same price? I sure do. The question Ducati marketing/sales has had to answer is where do we put our limited company resources to make the best future gains? I think they've already done that and the result is more Adventure bike models (the Multi 950) and the new Streetfighter V4. Again, whether we personally like it or not, the market seems to want Adventure bikes, not sport bikes, even if they are more comfortable, like the SS.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The issue is whether the investment to market a larger SS (1260?) would generate enough additional sales to justify the cost when considering some cannibalization of sales to other Duc models.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The issue is whether the investment to market a larger SS (1260?) would generate enough additional sales to justify the cost when considering some cannibalization of sales to other Duc models.
Absolutely! An addition to the SS lineup would have to stand a business case review, including cannibalization within the portfolio.

·
Registered
309 Posts
They may well compete on the showroom floor. And that makes perfect sense from a business perspective. Whatever you prefer is still a Ducati. Why do you think BMW offer the R1250RS alongside the R1250GS?

I don't understand your stance against a more powerful SS.

Can you explain it?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Why do you think BMW offer the R1250RS alongside the R1250GS?
I don't understand your stance against a more powerful SS. Can you explain it?
About offering several models off one component architecture. All car/truck/motorcycle makers do this and it makes sense when you can share most major vehicle components while appealing to different buyer groups, increasing sales volume. However, a company must consider things like showroom cannibalization, how much inventory dealer showrooms can effectively carry and how the various models array on pricing. Ducati already has the "big twins" Multi 1260 and Monster 1200 in their product portfolio, in addition to the Panigale, Streetfighter and soon-to-arrive Multi V4s, all which are pretty expensive to buy. Is there enough consumer demand for both 939 and (more expensive) 1260 SS models? Probably not, or the 1260 SS would be here already.

On why I'm not a big proponent of more powerful SS. I've been motorcycling for several decades now, including road racing in the '80s. What I've learned is that, especially for the street, big HP is not the answer to biking bliss. For me, who likes curvy roads, the hot ticket is a bike that has a balance of dynamic traits - enough power with an emphasis on mid-range, easy and precise handling and strong, linear braking. In the US the law doesn't tolerate speeding and manufacturers have to dumb down excessive engine power to protect riders from harm. In my view, the current SS has plenty of power for riding (at least without a passenger) and is a great blend of dynamic traits, none which overwhelms the other. Balanced. More power would be fun on straights, but would add more weight and electronic controls, plus increase the price substantially.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts