Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
BMW R1100RT 2001
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently riding and loving a 2001 BMW R1100RT after a couple of years trying and trading a succession of Anglo-American iron (a Bonneville, a Bullet; a couple of Harleys, an Indian), I find myself intrigued of late by bikes more on the sport end of the sport touring spectrum—BMW R1250RS, Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX, Suzuki GSX-S1000F, and – most intriguing of all – Ducati SuperSport. My general sense (having ridden exactly none of them but reading voraciously and watching YouTube videos) is that the Beemer and Kawi are the more touring-capable of the quartet, with the Suzi and the Duc boasting greater sporting mettle. Among that quartet, my head says my creaky, middle-aged joints should be on the RS or the SX, but my heart palpitates at the sight of the SuperSport—la bella figura!

I’ve made contact with my nearest Ducati dealer and, once present circumstances subside, I hope to test ride the base model. Extending my greetings to the membership, I look forward to learning from your insight and experience.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I've ridden several of the rides you mentioned. The SS doesn't have the power of some of those bikes. But it is the best handling, best braking, lightest feeling, most balanced, agile, torque-y and best looking.

So if you can live with only 113 HP and shaky mirrors, it might be for you.

And certainly, the base model is the way to go instead of the finicky Ohlins stuff (don't believe them, the "S" guys are cultists).

·
Registered
926 Posts
@LowRyter summed it up nicely; there are better sport TOURERS, and better sport tourers for two up available. But this bike is one of the best single rider SPORT tourers ever made and a great handling motorcycle by any standards.

Ride one. You’ll either love or not really get it. I rode my SSS simply to discount myself from even thinking about it when I was looking and planned on buying a sportier bike like an MV Agusta F3 800, CBR1000RR, S1000RR or similar Supersport bike. Once I got on it, I was in love within the first 5 miles, came back and wrote a check for it, and haven’t regretted it once.

·
Registered
BMW R1100RT 2001
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the warm welcome, gentlemen.

The SS ... is the best handling, best braking, lightest feeling, most balanced, agile, torque-y and best looking.

So if you can live with only 113 HP and shaky mirrors, it might be for you.

And certainly, the base model is the way to go instead of the finicky Ohlins stuff (don't believe them, the "S" guys are cultists).
@LowRyter, "only" 113 HP. :D I test-rode a latest-generation Gold Wing DCT in late fall boasting 124 horses (the highest-horsepower bike I've ridden), but in a package north of 800 lbs. Coming at this from the touring side of the sport touring equation, 113 horses in a sub-500-lb bike sounds like rocketry.

Your description of the SuperSport whets my appetite for a test ride! I don't ride spec sheets, I ride bikes—it's the way the pieces combine to create the riding experience, not the tale of the tape, that interests me. Thank you for confirming my suspicions about the S model. 👍 The emphasis placed on the Ohlins and the quick shifter – for me, at least – is entirely misplaced.

... You’ll either love or not really get it. ...
I think you win the thread for that comment, @Miweber929. My sense after reading reviews and watching videos is that the SuperSport is polarizing—it either wows or falls flat, revealing who the rider is and what, ultimately, the rider values. Almost three years into my motorcycling adventure and with my rider character in flux, the SuperSport strikes me as a mirror. I want to look into it to see who is staring back at me.

You'll know if its right for you, as soon as you ride one...
The waiting, @Ed K, is the hardest part. (Someone should write a song about that. 😉)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Currently riding and loving a 2001 BMW R1100RT after a couple of years trying and trading a succession of Anglo-American iron (a Bonneville, a Bullet; a couple of Harleys, an Indian), I find myself intrigued of late by bikes more on the sport end of the sport touring spectrum—BMW R1250RS, Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX, Suzuki GSX-S1000F, and – most intriguing of all – Ducati SuperSport. My general sense (having ridden exactly none of them but reading voraciously and watching YouTube videos) is that the Beemer and Kawi are the more touring-capable of the quartet, with the Suzi and the Duc boasting greater sporting mettle. Among that quartet, my head says my creaky, middle-aged joints should be on the RS or the SX, but my heart palpitates at the sight of the SuperSport—la bella figura!

I’ve made contact with my nearest Ducati dealer and, once present circumstances subside, I hope to test ride the base model. Extending my greetings to the membership, I look forward to learning from your insight and experience.
Welcome @Alessandro... My advice is to buy what your heart want... I'll honest with you, I don't like the suzuki, if you want there is a good comparison video between Ducati and Suzuki (in italian). My personal ranking is:
1) Ducati
2) Kawa
3) BMW
4) Suzuki

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm not in agreement with LowRyter on the merits of the SS "s" model - I wouldn't have it any other way. This is my second bike with a quickshifter (an MV F3 was the first) and I love it. In addition, this is my second bike with Ohlins suspension (a Ducati 748R was the first) and it works great on the bumpy Michigan roadways. It's your call, of course, but I think the "s" model is worth every extra dollar spent.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a non S bike, but one of the first things I had fitted was the quickshifter (along with heated grips - I live in the UK). I wouldn't be without the QS, it's excellent.

As for the suspension I have ridden borh variants and they are both superb. I couldn't hand on heart tell you that one was better than the other for real world riding...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have a 2015 BMW RT, and an SSS. I love them both, and while I can ride the SSS on a 400 mile day, the RT gets the nod for doing it over and over.

·
Registered
BMW R1100RT 2001
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome @Alessandro... My advice is to buy what your heart want... I'll honest with you, I don't like the suzuki, if you want there is a good comparison video between Ducati and Suzuki (in italian). My personal ranking is:
1) Ducati
2) Kawa
3) BMW
4) Suzuki
My suspicion is that I'm with you on the #4 slot, @DaviLeo. The other three are up in the air and, at this point, entirely speculative until I can take test rides. There's a Ducati in town, luckily, (and a Suzuki GSX-S F) but the closest BMW RS and Kawasaki SX are each 150 miles away—and in opposite directions. :(

·
Registered
BMW R1100RT 2001
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 2015 BMW RT, and an SSS. I love them both, and while I can ride the SSS on a 400 mile day, the RT gets the nod for doing it over and over.
I know I'm with you on the RT, @JStrube. The big question mark is whether I'm with you on the SuperSport (and I rather hope I am).

Playing phone tag with the Ducati dealer. Stay tuned. 📞

·
Registered
941 Posts
I hope you enjoy the SS. It's definitely one of the more versatile bikes I've owned: beautiful, sporty but not out of control, nimble, smooth throttle and suspension, comfortable, fairly practical around town and during cross country trips, and again, beautiful; I get so many compliments on it.
I only wish I got more distance to a tank of gas, but I do a lot of commuting and some road trips. Spending less time at the pump would be nice, but that's just me nitpicking. I usually have to fill up at around 120 miles, which isn't too bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My suspicion is that I'm with you on the #4 slot, @DaviLeo. The other three are up in the air and, at this point, entirely speculative until I can take test rides. There's a Ducati in town, luckily, (and a Suzuki GSX-S F) but the closest BMW RS and Kawasaki SX are each 150 miles away—and in opposite directions. :(
@Alessandro imagine that I bought the SSS without trying any Ducati, because two years ago there is no comparison between other motorcycle for my need. I hope you will find your suitable motorbike

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Welcome Mate. I have extensively ridden all the bikes you mentioned and moved from the GSXs1000 to the Ducati supersport (Yes I was worried about the drop in HP but honestly I couldn't use all of it anyway it was not controllable). all those bike are fun and capable but let me give you my 2 cents for what its worth. I think the BMW R1250RS is the Best bike in most ways over the others, it handles beautifully the power delivery is fantastic, its easy to ride and you can use all of that extra HP which is usually Unreachable unless you are on the track. it carries a pillion and luggage better than the rest and the electronics and suspension is top notch, it has cruse control too. I'm not going to say much about the Ninja nd the Suzuki other than they are great bikes but not in the same league. So why did I by the Supersport over the BMW R1250RS ? And after 30000km why cant I sell Ducati and Buy the BMW ? well because it rides like I have always dreamt a bike should its Fast, beautiful and seems like it was Designed and made just for me.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Welcome Mate. I have extensively ridden all the bikes you mentioned and moved from the GSXs1000 to the Ducati supersport (Yes I was worried about the drop in HP but honestly I couldn't use all of it anyway it was not controllable). all those bike are fun and capable but let me give you my 2 cents for what its worth. I think the BMW R1250RS is the Best bike in most ways over the others, it handles beautifully the power delivery is fantastic, its easy to ride and you can use all of that extra HP which is usually Unreachable unless you are on the track. it carries a pillion and luggage better than the rest and the electronics and suspension is top notch, it has cruse control too. I'm not going to say much about the Ninja nd the Suzuki other than they are great bikes but not in the same league. So why did I by the Supersport over the BMW R1250RS ? And after 30000km why cant I sell Ducati and Buy the BMW ? well because it rides like I have always dreamt a bike should its Fast, beautiful and seems like it was Designed and made just for me.
I demo'd the R1200RS a couple of years ago and was very impressed. If I decided to travel long distances regularly and particularly with a passenger, I think that bike would work better than the SS; however, I travel shorter distances, don't carry a passenger and much prefer the SS styling over the BMW, so an SS was an easy decision.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
If I wanted a heavier sport touring bike I'd consider the RS. But actually the RT feels much lighter due the telelever front end (OTOH course there isn't much steering feel with it).

The RS reminded me of my Suzuki Bandit done with tops class stuff and shaft drive. The trade-off is the cost of BMW ownership and elaborate engineering. Same issues I have considering an RT. The RS has good performance but nowhere as agile or balanced as the SS, again it's bulky like my Bandit.

I'd still like to get an RT for two up. But......$$$$$

1 - 20 of 21 Posts