Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Duc from the dealer today after having the 600 mile service performed. When I dropped the bike off I complained about the fact that I could not get the bike into Neutral unless I was moving or the engine was shut off. Their lead tech was out, but one of the other guys mentioned that all Ducs are that way, etc etc, etc.

Anyhow, when I picked up the bike today I had a good conversation with the lead tech who happened to be away last week getting re-certified as a Ducati tech. As he was going over the bike with me he said he saw my complaint about not being able to get the bike into neutral. He said that Ducati is well aware of the problem and is working on a solution. This has something to do with the oil pressure that acts upon the clutch or some such thing. I myself am not a tech, so I may not be reporting this properly. In any event, they may have a fix in the works and a service bulletin may be issued in the near future to resolve this problem.

If any of you folks are mechanically inclined, or Ducati techs, and are able to confirm or deny this information, please chime in. This is the first time I have heard that Ducati may have a possible solution on the horizon. I hope it works out in the very near future.

As for the bike, it is even more fun to ride now that I can open it up a little bit. :)

Reactions: A8tomic and Rhino

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I don't think any fix is forthcoming. My Hyper didn't have the neutral problem, but I've ridden Ducs for years that did. I think this characteristic is here to stay. It does get better with time and miles, though.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I suppose I'm just used to Ducati's. I have no trouble finding neutral on my Supersport. When the bike was new it was easier to slip into N while rolling to a stop. After the 1000 km oil change to Motul 300V, it's a piece of cake, rolling or stopped. It wasn't just the oil change, however...neutral was coming easy after about 750 km. Bike now has 1800 km on the clock and gets better with every ride.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The demo bike I rode had 300 miles on the odometer and no neutral issues whatsoever. My personal bike has 700 miles on it and neutral cannot be found at a stop with the engine. My old Duc does not do this. I am really hoping that Ducati is going to fix this issue.

Reactions: duc696

·
Registered
764 Posts
Not finding any issues with mine, once in a great while it does it, but I think you'll get that with most bikes regardless of make.:smile2:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I can only get neutral while still rolling but it doesn't worry me and I've had the same issue with other Ducati models but don't think it's a major problem. If I know I'm going to park the bike I just click it into neutral just before the bike stops rolling. The gearboxes do become less "notchy"
once they have clocked a few kilometres so it may get a little easier then, but if not, no probs

Reactions: duc696

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,631 Posts
I've only got 450 miles on mine so far. From new it has been difficult to select neutral until the engine has warmed up. After a few miles I can select neutral with no problem. It seems that there is clutch drag which eases off as the engine warms up and the oil gets thinner. I suspect that the neutral problem will clear entirely as the clutch gets more miles on it.
My Scrambler uses the same clutch and has never given me a problem selecting neutral but from the Scrambler forum it seems that more than a few owners have had this problem, although for many it seems to have cleared with more miles on the bike.
Due to manufacturing tolerances, possibly some clutch assemblies have sufficient clearance when disengaged while others have a minimal leading to clutch drag and a difficulty in selecting neutral.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
km's or miles and more of them solves the issue. I am at 4000 and still I have to roll the bike a ft or so and engage neutral.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I never understood this issues, I've owned 848, 696, MTS1200...very easy way of getting to N, go to 2nd and push down...Works every single time...I did the same when I test drove the 2017 SS...

Reactions: Ed K

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I never understood this issues, I've owned 848, 696, MTS1200...very easy way of getting to N, go to 2nd and push down...Works every single time...I did the same when I test drove the 2017 SS...
Because each bike is different. Been there, tried that! Mine won't do what you say...and no, it's not me. I've had a Ducati before...it's the bike. Some are simply different and harder than others.

·
Registered
14 Posts
very interesting as mines difficult to get into N. only done 130 miles so presumed it was just new gearbox etc. Ill keep an eye on this thread now ! thought it was just me !

·
Registered
42 Posts
Because each bike is different. Been there, tried that! Mine won't do what you say...and no, it's not me. I've had a Ducati before...it's the bike. Some are simply different and harder than others.
I'm on my 4th Duc and this has been the case for all of them...you have to move them to get them in N or just down from the 2nd gear to N...

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'm on my 4th Duc and this has been the case for all of them...you have to move them to get them in N or just down from the 2nd gear to N...
That doesn't always work either. Just today, I couldn't get my Monster into N while coasting with the bike shut off. Had to hold in the clutch until I came to a stop. This is after 22,000 miles on the bike.

Ducati just isn't on their game with this situation. After manufacturing millions of bikes and just about all of the other manufacturers not having this problem, you'd think they have this issue resolved. I've begun to believe that it's just lazy engineering. Maybe the culture in Italy is more laissez faire than it is in Japan where they are perfectionists.

·
Registered
461 Posts
i also cannot get it into N at a stop with the engine on 95% of the time. even rolling forward / backward doesn't help. sometimes i can get it into N by rolling the throttle and trying from 2nd or 1st, but that only works a few times out of 20.

there's 3 big things that kind of bother me. trouble finding N at a stop, the hesitation / power loss when switching upshifting that sometimes happen, and the false neutral between 5/6 that has happened 3-4 times in 210 miles.

otherwise, the bike is prefect and i absolutely love it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Believe the other riders here on this forum, it gets easier to hit neutral as the miles pile on. I have just over 1000 miles and I can already get it 7/10 times at the stop. Cold engine is obviously a bit tricky

·
Registered
516 Posts
That doesn't always work either. Just today, I couldn't get my Monster into N while coasting with the bike shut off. Had to hold in the clutch until I came to a stop. This is after 22,000 miles on the bike.

Ducati just isn't on their game with this situation. After manufacturing millions of bikes and just about all of the other manufacturers not having this problem, you'd think they have this issue resolved. I've begun to believe that it's just lazy engineering. Maybe the culture in Italy is more laissez faire than it is in Japan where they are perfectionists.
It absolutely is. It's funny what Italy lets go, they are laid back about things in the most annoying way. But I bet it leads to a much less Stressful way of Living.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts